Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Dec 26, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #946 of 6,081
I can imagine that if AK did a DAP for Shure, it would cost quite a bit more than Shure's DAC/amp. I'm thinking $4500 by itself. It would essentially be an AK380 with an attachment amp module capable of providing the voltage needed. All AK would have to do is build the module.

Dec 26, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #948 of 6,081
  I was under the impression that moon audio was selling them for $2999 not too long ago.Either way if the kse1500 are that good the Laylas would drop eventually,even if the sound was comparable the fit and sheer bulk makes it a no go for most.

For most no I respectfully disagree with you...  But for those folks they could simply have opted for the customs?  
-Speed

Dec 26, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #950 of 6,081
I can imagine that if AK did a DAP for Shure, it would cost quite a bit more than Shure's DAC/amp. I'm thinking $4500 by itself. It would essentially be an AK380 with an attachment amp module capable of providing the voltage needed. All AK would have to do is build the module.

I'd pay $5000 for a KSE1500 with a combined DAP. Even if the DAP wasn't as good as AK380, just convenience.
(I don't think I would ever be able to justify to anyone who wasn't already a member of Head-Fi though.)

Dec 26, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #951 of 6,081
  For most no I respectfully disagree with you...  But for those folks they could simply have opted for the customs?  
-Speed

Disagree about what?I can't imagine anyone who is willing to drop $2500 won't put the other $500 if the kse1500 are superior in sound.As for the fit and sheer size  we  have seen pics of Layla and how they look on the ear.

Dec 26, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #952 of 6,081
Originally Posted by Caruryn 

I was under the impression that moon audio was selling them for $2999 not too long ago.Either way if the kse1500 are that good the Laylas would drop eventually,even if the sound was comparable the fit and sheer bulk makes it a no go for most.

-Speed

Disagree about what?I can't imagine anyone who is willing to drop $2500 won't put the other $500 if the kse1500 are superior in sound.As for the fit and sheer size  we  have seen pics of Layla and how they look on the ear.

Ok let's try this again...  

Your comment was "the fit and sheer bulk makes it a no go for most."  

My point has nothing to do with if people were willing to spend an additional $500 dollars for the KSE-1500's vs the JH Layla's.  

The KSE-1500 may prove to be an earpiece at a level or step above all the earpieces (including Layla's) but no it's not a proven fact that it's "superior in sound" as they are not in production yet!  But I'm hopeful and already put my order in.

-Speed 

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #953 of 6,081
They will still no doubt sell out and this will be a huge success for them but I completely agree.  Had they released this with a DAP it would have pretty much taken over the entire TOTL market for IEMs.  I really think someone like AK will partner up with them to do this or influence this in their next version, or maybe I am just really hoping this happens soon.  It could also be that some companies start making after-market DAPs that are compatible or specifically designed for these.  Then the question would be will Shure sell just the IEMs without the Dac/Amp for say half price?

If they're going to partner with another company let's hope it's not posers like AK but someone with real technical prowess like Chord.

Dec 27, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #954 of 6,081
If they're going to partner with another company let's hope it's not posers like AK but someone with real technical prowess like Chord.

Does Chord make a DAP, I thought they didn't really do much software which is why I mention AK and especially as their DAPs are considered TOTL and from what I have seen and used are actually very nice units all around.

Dec 27, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #955 of 6,081

Does Chord make a DAP, I thought they didn't really do much software which is why I mention AK and especially as their DAPs are considered TOTL and from what I have seen and used are actually very nice units all around.

Point taken. I had a bad experience with AK. I won't go into it, but they lost me as a customer forever. I'm sorry if it came off as a swipe at you. I just can't resist taking them down a peg when the opportunity presents. I do think Chord makes better products (admittedly, no DAP, yet) and they're a first class outfit. I'm sure that AK could make a product that checks all the boxes, for a price, but I think Chord could do something really special and a better value. 
I also think that most people buying this product will already have a DAP. What's required is what Sure included, a DAC/Amp. Chord would give more flexible connections and compatibility with more formats. 
My greatest hope is that in-ear electrostatics catch on enough that there becomes a standard connection, and the possibility to mix and match electronics with cans, as we do now. 
Sorry, @groovyd, I really didn't mean to offend. I'll be a little slower on the jabs at AK from now on. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #956 of 6,081
I don't think Shure needs any help from AK or Hugo, both overrated in these forums.
This IEM's look pretty cool, hopefully they deliver on the sound.
Have not seen any reviews other than Jude and AnakChan's.

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #957 of 6,081

Point taken. I had a bad experience with AK. I won't go into it, but they lost me as a customer forever. I'm sorry if it came off as a swipe at you. I just can't resist taking them down a peg when the opportunity presents. I do think Chord makes better products (admittedly, no DAP, yet) and they're a first class outfit. I'm sure that AK could make a product that checks all the boxes, for a price, but I think Chord could do something really special and a better value. 
I also think that most people buying this product will already have a DAP. What's required is what Sure included, a DAC/Amp. Chord would give more flexible connections and compatibility with more formats. 
My greatest hope is that in-ear electrostatics catch on enough that there becomes a standard connection, and the possibility to mix and match electronics with cans, as we do now. 
Sorry, @groovyd, I really didn't mean to offend. I'll be a little slower on the jabs at AK from now on. 

I agree everyone buying this already has a DAP, my point was more along the lines of not wanting to carry a stack around.  I did that for years and just think it isn't worth it for the difference in quality to manage 2 components hooked together while on the out and about.

I didn't really take it as a personal swipe, just curious if Chord really ever did anything with software in it.  Being an embedded device programmer I understand the difficulties in doing this and also realize most engineers are good at the hardware or the software but not usually both which is what would be required to make a quality DAP.  I was under the impression Chord was born of one man's craft or is it a big company like AK with a ton of engineers? 

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #958 of 6,081
Isn't it strange that all the top DAPs out there (with all their slight faults) are all made by Asian brands?  I mean, there isn't even one from Europe.  I guess there's the Pono.  That one gets mixed feedback.  

Dec 27, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #959 of 6,081
  I don't think Shure needs any help from AK or Hugo, both overrated in these forums.
This IEM's look pretty cool, hopefully they deliver on the sound.
Have not seen any reviews other than Jude and AnakChan's.

@Currawong's is here :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/785377/shure-kse1500-review-shure-kse1500-sound-isolating-electrostatic-earphones/345#post_12020585

Users who are viewing this thread

Back