Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Oct 25, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #392 of 6,081
They really need a solid review with different tips on them. I updated my comment after listening to the new Stax gear to add "with more mid-bass" as I'd obviously forgotten how lean-sounding the Stax are relatively. Impressions are going to be very genre-specific.

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #393 of 6,081
If these sound as good as open headphones i will buy.
From what I've read they seem to be a game changer, but i will not purchase just reading the reviews i would like to listen first.
If i won't like them i will order ES60 instead.

Why es60 Musicday, any particular reason?
Pm me, im thinking of selling the Adels A12, you can reshell them and they'd be superior.

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #394 of 6,081

If these sound as good as open headphones i will buy.
From what I've read they seem to be a game changer, but i will not purchase just reading the reviews i would like to listen first.
If i won't like them i will order ES60 instead.

Why es60 Musicday, any particular reason?
Pm me, im thinking of selling the Adels A12, you can reshell them and they'd be superior.

Thank you but not interested.For now i want to read more about this as its got my attention. The electrostatic drives is fast like in a planar magnetic headphone, so it may be really good after all.
And regarding Westone i really like their sound signature.

Oct 26, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #396 of 6,081
Thank you but not interested.For now i want to read more about this as its got my attention. The electrostatic drives is fast like in a planar magnetic headphone, so it may be really good after all.

Im interested too, but there's so much better than Shure out there and even if amazing I couldn't live with the extremely poor battery life

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #397 of 6,081
Im interested too, but there's so much better than Shure out there and even if amazing I couldn't live with the extremely poor battery life
Guess I missed the battery stats along the way, but I used to hate anything with less than 30hrs battery life, now am quite happy with 8-10, so long as it has a standard USB charging slot (for long haul flights let's say).

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #400 of 6,081
So nobody has compared the Flat DSP mode to the pure analog mode or even indicated which mode they were listening to when forming their impressions (apart from Currawong--analog mode)?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 26, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #401 of 6,081

You have not heard it yet, so you cannot say there are better out there. I will be reserving judgement till I have had a chance to listen to it.

The battery life of about 10 hours is not that bad, for me I would have loved it if it uses AA’s.  I am used to carrying spare Sanyo Eneloop AA’s for my Walkman and for the Stax when I had it, AA would be more convenient for me. 

Oct 26, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #402 of 6,081
As a Stax enthusiast and SR-009 owner, I'm following this thread with great interest. My personal issue, is that I won't use anything that's remotely uncomfortable to me. (Note that the "to me" is very subjective; I can't even wear a shirt with a label that has not been removed...so any even seemingly mild discomfort/irritation bothers me) Where am I going with this? Shure needs a custom-fit option, for say, $399 more. To me, the only IEM's that I could tolerate were customs; I just can't get comfortable with any generic fit. Another interesting option would be a form factor such as that of the Koss Porta-Pro...while they are not IEMs, they are damn comfortable, light and very portable...without looking silly. After 15 years, I still use my Porta-Pros; they are by far the most comfortable on-the-go heaphones I have.

The cable needs a 5-10 year guarantee...and Shure's written word that replacement after-warranty would be $199 max. This is an expensive, proprietary cable design, hence there will likely be no aftermarket replacements for the wire...so Sure must include a 2nd tier of customer service, similar to when you buy a Lexus vs. a Toyota and expect concierge-level service on the former. In my younger (I'm now 58) "portable" days, I went through so many portable headphones due to cable issues, mostly due to me forgetting the cable was there and pulling something that wasn't meant to be pulled. Absent-minded, with ADHD and forgetful? Yes. Part of life?...also yes.

So, in sum...a word to Shure to make sure my purchase is secure (feeble attempt at alliteration), as well as, being comfortable for all:

1) Develop a 2nd version, with a Koss Porta-pro form factor (comfortable on-ears), and/or custom tips (CIEM).

2) Make the warranty and customer service far superior to that of more generic Shure products. (overnight shipping/replacement on warranty work, 10 year warranty on cable, etc.).

The warranty issue will tip sales into the volume Shure needs to make this more than just a statement product that doesn't have the bean-counter bottom line needed to justify the 8 years of development.  Case-in-point: When Toyota first came out with the Prius, they warranted the batteries for an unprecedented 8 years in order to alleviate perceived customer fear that they would have to replace their batteries (at $4,500) during the normal life of the car. The Prius was a game-changer and disruptive technology, and progressive consumers bought-in once their initial fears were put to rest.  These IEMs are also game-changers, if they live up to the expectations...thus, Shure needs to re-a-Shure its customers that they won't be left with a $600 repair bill if the cable gets damaged with normal wear-and-tear (that in the portable world, can be quite a bit if you use these daily).

Address these issues, and if they sound as good as the pre-market hype (unfounded or pre-market hype is a common, unfortunate trait of our digital age that can only be addressed by personal trial)...then, please take my money! - Lorne

Oct 26, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #403 of 6,081

Hey Lornecherry, have you tried Comply Foam tips? They are very very comfortable, not too far behind customs.

www.complyfoam.com

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #404 of 6,081

Theoretically quicker as the diaphragm mass is much lower. The problem with electrostatics is gain and dispersion vs size. Also what to do with the backwave. Those are not at issue here.
smile.gif
 This will have a very low Q and likely need some EQ for it's bass to sound linear. That may be there for both the bypass or DSP input as it's relatively easy to do a rising low end at almost any slope and hinge frequency with a few passive bits in line before the last gain stage. Obviously, DSP can take that up another step.

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #405 of 6,081
Jude was kind enough to let me have a short listen to the new shure today, using his AK dap (380?) line out. Take the following with a pinch of salt as I had what, 2 songs only to make my mind as I was in a rush.

I liked the shure but I was not mesmerized (I expected more I guess). In particular, I thought it was a bit short on both ends of the spectrum. The bass seem especially rolled off with some compensation in the midbass region. It gives it a nice punchy sound with good kick but maybe that would get tiring after a while.

I thought the mids were good / not too forward / no shrillness.

No much comment on the headstage, too little time to evaluate. It did not sound very open but did not feel claustrophobic either.

I'd consider it betrer priced <1.5kUSD when compared to full size cans. 3k seems like a big stretch to me. Having said that, I haven't tested the latest high end iem offerings , so maybe it's just everyone has gone nuts over the price of iems and shure is just placing itself in light of the competition?

Would require much more thorough listen to judge properly.:..

Cheers,
Arnaud

Very helpful again, thanks!

Some good consistency in the early impressions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back