Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Oct 26, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #406 of 6,085
As a Stax enthusiast and SR-009 owner, I'm following this thread with great interest. My personal issue, is that I won't use anything that's remotely uncomfortable to me. (Note that the "to me" is very subjective; I can't even wear a shirt with a label that has not been removed...so any even seemingly mild discomfort/irritation bothers me) Where am I going with this? Shure needs a custom-fit option, for say, $399 more. To me, the only IEM's that I could tolerate were customs; I just can't get comfortable with any generic fit. Another interesting option would be a form factor such as that of the Koss Porta-Pro...while they are not IEMs, they are damn comfortable, light and very portable...without looking silly. After 15 years, I still use my Porta-Pros; they are by far the most comfortable on-the-go heaphones I have.

The cable needs a 5-10 year guarantee...and Shure's written word that replacement after-warranty would be $199 max. This is an expensive, proprietary cable design, hence there will likely be no aftermarket replacements for the wire...so Sure must include a 2nd tier of customer service, similar to when you buy a Lexus vs. a Toyota and expect concierge-level service on the former. In my younger (I'm now 58) "portable" days, I went through so many portable headphones due to cable issues, mostly due to me forgetting the cable was there and pulling something that wasn't meant to be pulled. Absent-minded, with ADHD and forgetful? Yes. Part of life?...also yes.

So, in sum...a word to Shure to make sure my purchase is secure (feeble attempt at alliteration), as well as, being comfortable for all:

1) Develop a 2nd version, with a Koss Porta-pro form factor (comfortable on-ears), and/or custom tips (CIEM).

2) Make the warranty and customer service far superior to that of more generic Shure products. (overnight shipping/replacement on warranty work, 10 year warranty on cable, etc.).

The warranty issue will tip sales into the volume Shure needs to make this more than just a statement product that doesn't have the bean-counter bottom line needed to justify the 8 years of development.  Case-in-point: When Toyota first came out with the Prius, they warranted the batteries for an unprecedented 8 years in order to alleviate perceived customer fear that they would have to replace their batteries (at $4,500) during the normal life of the car. The Prius was a game-changer and disruptive technology, and progressive consumers bought-in once their initial fears were put to rest.  These IEMs are also game-changers, if they live up to the expectations...thus, Shure needs to re-a-Shure its customers that they won't be left with a $600 repair bill if the cable gets damaged with normal wear-and-tear (that in the portable world, can be quite a bit if you use these daily).

Address these issues, and if they sound as good as the pre-market hype (unfounded or pre-market hype is a common, unfortunate trait of our digital age that can only be addressed by personal trial)...then, please take my money! - Lorne

100% agree with your comfort and service concerns, especially about the custom battery & cable. One thing I dont understand though: why would you want to pay more than $50 for a replacement wire?!

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #407 of 6,085
1.At this price point Shure should give us cable replacement always, we just pay for shipping.
2. Hope the DAC will support firmware update, if no DSD at least 24/192 playback.
3. Price should be maximum 2500 usd.
4. Can the sound from such a small units be better then the full size LCD - XC or LCD4 ?

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #410 of 6,085
You have not heard it yet, so you cannot say there are better out there. I will be reserving judgement till I have had a chance to listen to it.

The battery life of about 10 hours is not that bad, for me I would have loved it if it uses AA’s.  I am used to carrying spare Sanyo Eneloop AA’s for my Walkman and for the Stax when I had it, AA would be more convenient for me. 

What I meant is the current iems, I understand of course that everyone is expecting miracles but I personally don't expect shure to have veered off too much from the house sound I find a little too boring.

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #411 of 6,085
What I meant is the current iems, I understand of course that everyone is expecting miracles but I personally don't expect shure to have veered off too much from the house sound I find a little too boring.

Okay I see what you mean, I have never tried Shure IEM so not sure what to expect.

It’s like a lot of people love Grado sound which I can not stand but then I tried a PS500, liked it as it does not sound like a Grado (still would not by one). I would say it’s a Grado for non Grado fans. Maybe this new Shure will be a departure from the Shure house sound.

Oct 26, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #414 of 6,085

Okay I see what you mean, I have never tried Shure IEM so not sure what to expect.

It’s like a lot of people love Grado sound which I can not stand but then I tried a PS500, liked it as it does not sound like a Grado (still would not by one). I would say it’s a Grado for non Grado fans. Maybe this new Shure will be a departure from the Shure house sound.

Try them with big cups and you may not be able to resist. 

I'm not so shure
wink.gif
 about a Shure house sound other than trying to have good mids.

Oct 26, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #415 of 6,085
  Try them with big cups and you may not be able to resist. 

I'm not so shure
wink.gif
 about a Shure house sound other than trying to have good mids.

Oh I can resist, the Grado sound is not for me.

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #416 of 6,085
My Sensaphonics full custom sleeves for my 846s fit the kse1500s and I was transfixed by the sound, fed from my Lotoo PAW Gold.  Alas, an evil man from Shure came by today and took them back..    sadness sadness......

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #417 of 6,085
Frankly, I am very excited of the potential but won't comment until I have the opportunity to hear. If it's as good as promised, then buy, if not. don't.

I think Shure is a great company with good marketing, I would give it a chance but won't completely trust them until I hear the KSE1500 myself, but for those of us (Including me) who have not heard the KSE1500, there's no point trying to cast doubt on this exciting new development. Even if this one doesn't live up to the promise, I am sure the effect on the competition will be good!

Oct 27, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #418 of 6,085
  My Sensaphonics full custom sleeves for my 846s fit the kse1500s and I was transfixed by the sound, fed from my Lotoo PAW Gold.  Alas, an evil man from Shure came by today and took them back..    sadness sadness......

That's great news with regards to the SE846 housing SCS fitting the KSE1500!  Thanks for the information.

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #419 of 6,085

I sat down and listened to it yesterday at the show with my own (or familiar) music. I have loaner Laylas here (which I'm long overdue reviewing). The Shure is noticeably more detailed than them (or another IEMs I've tried from memory). What is confusing is that the Shures have a different tonal balance, one that works very well with Chesky binaural recordings (i.e.: they are so well recorded that if someone had a running nose, you could just about hear the snot dripping out) but I'm not a total fan of it. Imagine a pair of in-ear K701s -- that is, you get the tonal balance that is lovely with vocals, but don't get the soundstage or spaciousness that the K701s have as a result of being circumaural headphones. The upper mids are a bit too forward. My feeling when listening was that they have an insanely fast and effortless transient response that reminds me of my first experience of 'stats a few years ago, where I felt they made regular dynamic headphones feel like a pretentious effort at sound reproduction. They simply have a competence that is in another world compared to BA and dynamic IEMs. But they didn't engage me with all music as I would have hoped. Neither did the 009s when I owned them. I didn't try the in-built DAC, but, like regular 'stats, you're going to want to have the best source possible for them. The difference between my fresh-out-of-the-box Mojo and Jude's AK380 was pretty obvious.

You can't just say the difference was obvious but not say what you mean! =P What was the difference between the Mojo and 380?

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #420 of 6,085

I sat down and listened to it yesterday at the show with my own (or familiar) music. I have loaner Laylas here (which I'm long overdue reviewing). The Shure is noticeably more detailed than them (or another IEMs I've tried from memory). What is confusing is that the Shures have a different tonal balance, one that works very well with Chesky binaural recordings (i.e.: they are so well recorded that if someone had a running nose, you could just about hear the snot dripping out) but I'm not a total fan of it. Imagine a pair of in-ear K701s -- that is, you get the tonal balance that is lovely with vocals, but don't get the soundstage or spaciousness that the K701s have as a result of being circumaural headphones. The upper mids are a bit too forward. My feeling when listening was that they have an insanely fast and effortless transient response that reminds me of my first experience of 'stats a few years ago, where I felt they made regular dynamic headphones feel like a pretentious effort at sound reproduction. They simply have a competence that is in another world compared to BA and dynamic IEMs. But they didn't engage me with all music as I would have hoped. Neither did the 009s when I owned them. I didn't try the in-built DAC, but, like regular 'stats, you're going to want to have the best source possible for them. The difference between my fresh-out-of-the-box Mojo and Jude's AK380 was pretty obvious.

You can't just say the difference was obvious but not say what you mean! =P What was the difference between the Mojo and 380?

The Mojo was fresh out of the box and initially the music sounded a bit narrow, congested and dull from it, very noticeable on the Laylas and the KSE1500 rig. I verified my thoughts about this Saturday before leaving it on overnight playing music. It sounded much better on Sunday morning after that. The AK380 was Jude's and well-used, and sounded much better than the non-burned in Mojo to something like the same degree that the Mojo sounded better (IMO as always) after having been used for a few days. I didn't go into specifics as (which you can see in Anakchan's pictures) I was sitting on the floor of the lobby at the show because my feet hurt at the end of Saturday. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back