Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Jul 26, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #3,841 of 6,066
I have the HD800 too and have had it side by side connected to my balanced beta 22 with a HD800s. Bass present is there but not much as my KSE1500 IMO.
I do prefer the HD800 over the HD800s.

Jul 26, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #3,842 of 6,066
HD800 is for the soundstage—as is K1000, for that matter. They are less intense than KSE1500. After a month abroad in Europe with KSE, I find myself needing to readjust to their different presentation of sound, as well as their weaker octane.

Jul 26, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #3,843 of 6,066
I have the HD800 too and have had it side by side connected to my balanced beta 22 with a HD800s. Bass present is there but not much as my KSE1500 IMO.
I do prefer the HD800 over the HD800s.
Agree all about kse, 800 and 800s.
I like kse>800>800s but I own kse and 800s, Not 800.
I compare 800 and s version when buying. I agree as said, but selected 800s.
800 has sometimes piecing treble, but the bass is more realistic vs 800s.
I think 800s for an easy instant choice. But 800 is for more researching about sound after buying. It take times.

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #3,844 of 6,066
I should mentioned my current HD800 doesn't have the 6kz spike which almost everyone dreads. Even then I still prefer my KSE1500 for pretty much all genre except live concert which is where the soundstage of the HD800 shines.
I've had 3 HD800 in total in the past.

Jul 29, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #3,845 of 6,066
I had an opportunity to listen to the KSE1500 yesterday. After reading all of the impressions and watching @jude 's video, I sought them out thinking they might be my perfect solution. If a person that has most every headphone on the market at his disposal thinks that highly of them... and all the other reviews...

I'm posting here, b/c I am quite interested in the KSEs, but the topic is mostly fit. I hope this may also help others that are considering the KSEs.

tl;dr version - I don't think I had a great fit at the store for the KSE (and some other IEMs). I now have a sour opinion of the KSE and some other potentially great IEMs b/c maybe my local stores don't know how to help with fit or offer other tips. Help! Is it cool to buy or bring a selection of tips to a store to listen? If I can't try-before-I-buy and hear them at their best, then I can't consider spending that type of money.

Loooong version....but with context

I have a pair of AK T8ie MKIIs. I adore them, and I'm not looking to replace them. I'd like another IEM with a bit less bass and a more balanced tone across the spectrum for different types of music. Also, more isolation would be welcome, but not strictly necessary. The SQ descriptions, the isolation and the other characteristics of the KSEs sounded too good to be true, particularly with regard to soundstage, instrument separation, and "air". I love electrostatic full size speakers. I haven't tried any of the headphones. So, off I went thinking... I deserved these... I was on a mission. I was excited. I was sold before I even listened to them... I was an easy sale... a whale... a mark... a puppy-dog close.

and then...

I got them all set up... Figured out the buttons... made sure EQ was flat... Chose my playlist... Got settled... and hit play...

They were...... OK. Not great, not even really good. I thought they should be Tony Tiger GRRRRRRRREAT.

The tips were stock (black foam), and after about 40 minutes, they were uncomfortable (tight, stinging, and hot). At this point, I was just trying to adjust for comfort. Other than the rave reviews, I had no real reason to think that I wasn't hearing them "as intended", but maybe my tastes differ. I was waiting for that moment when they'd just reveal themselves as the greatest thing ever. When I told the person at the store that the tips were likely too big, he brought me some rubber tips from a pair of 215s. I popped them on, and they sounded AWFUL with that tip. I am not given to hyperbole, and usually I'm in the camp of "to each their own" re: SQ preference, but these were seriously, seriously bad. They went from - I can hear some of the characteristics others describe, but seriously not worth the money... to... Crap. No kidding.

I asked if they had other tips. No... so I went back to the stock tip. I listened for another 20-30 mins and made the executive decision that no matter how much I wanted to like them, I still liked my AKs better, and there was no way I could spend that much money on these things. I reluctantly gave them back to the gentleman helping me.

So, I thought I'd try some others. Heck, I wanted some new IEMs. Over a period of 5 or so hours, I was rotating between my personal AKs, BD Xelentos (listed only b/c they're the same form factor as my AKs) and several others including TOTL offerings. Many of the other IEMs simply didn't feel good at best or hurt at worst and/or the sound was "thin", or just not good, so I tossed them aside. I had read such amazing things about all these IEMs. What the heck!!!???

The Xelentos came out on top by a long shot (for now). Here is what I'm thinking.

The AKs were my first and still my only IEM. It's not for lack of trying. When I chose them initially, I compared them to other well-respected and more expensive in-ears (4 of which I tried again yesterday). I walked away with the AKs thinking that some of those big name $1000+ USD IEMs were just hype. Now, history is repeating itself with the AKs "sister" - and I think I am dead wrong. Some of the "great ones" just may just not fit me well with whatever tips are on the demo units. I think it's the fit of the AKs/BDs that "allows" me to hear the sound they produce, and why I picked them. I don't think I ever got to hear the other IEMs at their full potential.

Here's why. When I would manipulate some of IEMs while they were in my ears and/or cup my hands over my ears, the sound could go from terrible, to blah, to OK, to WOW based on the IEM. In all cases, the sound would change significantly. I had read some tidbits about tip rolling, and I thought the effects would be subtle, so I never considered it. I generally thought you chose a tip for comfort first and then tweaked w/in the family for sound. I had no concept until he gave me the 215 tip (fit better, but sounded like absolute a$$) that tips could affect the sound that much.

I don't want to kick myself later having missed out on a great product, if all I needed was a different stupid tip. I'm also not willing to go the custom route (if available) w/o being able to at least hear the full potential of the universal version and its natural character.

All the MOT with IEMs or stores that sell them, I hope this is unique to me, but when you're marketing or selling $1000+ USD IEMs, someone should be able to advise on fit and explain why it's important to SQ and comfort. IMO it should part of training. Again, I hope my case is unique (or maybe I have weird ears). I have no intention of discrediting any store or brand.

*The source was iPhone 6+ with Tidal hi-fi downloads either direct to headphone out or USB through a iFi Micro BL or Sony PHA-2A. I did not use an external DAC with the KSEs b/c that's one thing I am trying to get away from and the use case for the 1500s over the 1200s. I had no opportunity to use my desktop equipment or the store's.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #3,846 of 6,066
I had an opportunity to listen to the KSE1500 yesterday. After reading all of the impressions and watching @jude 's video, I sought them out thinking they might be my perfect solution. If a person that has most every headphone on the market at his disposal thinks that highly of them... and all the other reviews...

I'm posting here, b/c I am quite interested in the KSEs, but the topic is mostly fit. I hope this may also help others that are considering the KSEs.

tl;dr version - I don't think I had a great fit at the store for the KSE (and some other IEMs). I now have a sour opinion of the KSE and some other potentially great IEMs b/c maybe my local stores don't know how to help with fit or offer other tips. Help! Is it cool to buy or bring a selection of tips to a store to listen? If I can't try-before-I-buy and hear them at their best, then I can't consider spending that type of money.

Loooong version....but with context

I have a pair of AK T8ie MKIIs. I adore them, and I'm not looking to replace them. I'd like another IEM with a bit less bass and a more balanced tone across the spectrum for different types of music. Also, more isolation would be welcome, but not strictly necessary. The SQ descriptions, the isolation and the other characteristics of the KSEs sounded too good to be true, particularly with regard to soundstage, instrument separation, and "air". I love electrostatic full size speakers. I haven't tried any of the headphones. So, off I went thinking... I deserved these... I was on a mission. I was excited. I was sold before I even listened to them... I was an easy sale... a whale... a mark... a puppy-dog close.

and then...

I got them all set up... Figured out the buttons... made sure EQ was flat... Chose my playlist... Got settled... and hit play...

They were...... OK. Not great, not even really good. I thought they should be Tony Tiger GRRRRRRRREAT.

The tips were stock (black foam), and after about 40 minutes, they were uncomfortable (tight, stinging, and hot). At this point, I was just trying to adjust for comfort. Other than the rave reviews, I had no real reason to think that I wasn't hearing them "as intended", but maybe my tastes differ. I was waiting for that moment when they'd just reveal themselves as the greatest thing ever. When I told the person at the store that the tips were likely too big, he brought me some rubber tips from a pair of 215s. I popped them on, and they sounded AWFUL with that tip. I am not given to hyperbole, and usually I'm in the camp of "to each their own" re: SQ preference, but these were seriously, seriously bad. They went from - I can hear some of the characteristics others describe, but seriously not worth the money... to... Crap. No kidding.

I asked if they had other tips. No... so I went back to the stock tip. I listened for another 20-30 mins and made the executive decision that no matter how much I wanted to like them, I still liked my AKs better, and there was no way I could spend that much money on these things. I reluctantly gave them back to the gentleman helping me.

So, I thought I'd try some others. Heck, I wanted some new IEMs. Over a period of 5 or so hours, I was rotating between my personal AKs, BD Xelentos (listed only b/c they're the same form factor as my AKs) and several others including TOTL offerings. Many of the other IEMs simply didn't feel good at best or hurt at worst and/or the sound was "thin", or just not good, so I tossed them aside. I had read such amazing things about all these IEMs. What the heck!!!???

The Xelentos came out on top by a long shot (for now). Here is what I'm thinking.

The AKs were my first and still my only IEM. It's not for lack of trying. When I chose them initially, I compared them to other well-respected and more expensive in-ears (4 of which I tried again yesterday). I walked away with the AKs thinking that some of those big name $1000+ USD IEMs were just hype. Now, history is repeating itself with the AKs "sister" - and I think I am dead wrong. Some of the "great ones" just may just not fit me well with whatever tips are on the demo units. I think it's the fit of the AKs/BDs that "allows" me to hear the sound they produce, and why I picked them. I don't think I ever got to hear the other IEMs at their full potential.

Here's why. When I would manipulate some of IEMs while they were in my ears and/or cup my hands over my ears, the sound could go from terrible, to blah, to OK, to WOW based on the IEM. In all cases, the sound would change significantly. I had read some tidbits about tip rolling, and I thought the effects would be subtle, so I never considered it. I generally thought you chose a tip for comfort first and then tweaked w/in the family for sound. I had no concept until he gave me the 215 tip (fit better, but sounded like absolute a$$) that tips could affect the sound that much.

I don't want to kick myself later having missed out on a great product, if all I needed was a different stupid tip. I'm also not willing to go the custom route (if available) w/o being able to at least hear the full potential of the universal version and its natural character.

All the MOT with IEMs or stores that sell them, I hope this is unique to me, but when you're marketing or selling $1000+ USD IEMs, someone should be able to advise on fit and explain why it's important to SQ and comfort. IMO it should part of training. Again, I hope my case is unique (or maybe I have weird ears). I have no intention of discrediting any store or brand.

*The source was iPhone 6+ with Tidal hi-fi downloads either direct to headphone out or USB through a iFi Micro BL or Sony PHA-2A. I did not use an external DAC with the KSEs b/c that's one thing I am trying to get away from and the use case for the 1500s over the 1200s. I had no opportunity to use my desktop equipment or the store's.
I've never seen anybody make a comparison of the AK T8ieMKIIs vs Xelentos. I've tried myself, but the AK T8ieMKIIs seem to be discontinued. Do you hear much difference between the two? If so, how would you describe the differences?

I also own and love the Xelentos, but find the KSE1500 slightly cleaner-sounding and with a little less mid-bass (which is a little heavy in the Xelentos). Tip-choice has a huge impact on FR (there are two previous posts of mine on this thread showing measurement of the effects of various tips). With the Xelentos being ported and relying on shallow-insertion, they will tend to give more treble than any isolating IEM using foam tips. You might want to try SpinFit Cp240 or Cp800 tips. The latter will give treble levels similar to that of the Xelentos.

Jul 29, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #3,847 of 6,066
I've never seen anybody make a comparison of the AK T8ieMKIIs vs Xelentos. I've tried myself, but the AK T8ieMKIIs seem to be discontinued. Do you hear much difference between the two? If so, how would you describe the differences?

I also own and love the Xelentos, but find the KSE1500 slightly cleaner-sounding and with a little less mid-bass (which is a little heavy in the Xelentos). Tip-choice has a huge impact on FR (there are two previous posts of mine on this thread showing measurement of the effects of various tips). With the Xelentos being ported and relying on shallow-insertion, they will tend to give more treble than any isolating IEM using foam tips. You might want to try SpinFit Cp240 or Cp800 tips. The latter will give treble levels similar to that of the Xelentos.

Direct comparison of T8iE & Xelento here - https://www.headfonia.com/review-beyerdynamic-xelento-remote-anthem/

Jul 29, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #3,848 of 6,066

I've had to moisten my rubber tips for the KSE1200 for a proper seal to take place. My right ear is fine but I have to keep adjusting my left ear until I get a seal. Without a seal, the KSE's are not listenable (is that a word?). Once I get a seal, the KSE's sound amazing and made me sell my beloved Zeus XRAs.

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #3,849 of 6,066
I've had to moisten my rubber tips for the KSE1200 for a proper seal to take place. My right ear is fine but I have to keep adjusting my left ear until I get a seal. Without a seal, the KSE's are not listenable (is that a word?). Once I get a seal, the KSE's sound amazing and made me sell my beloved Zeus XRAs.
The seal is obviously critical, but beyond that, the tip material and the width and flare/shape of the tip can make a considerable difference to the FR. With an IEM this pricey, it's well worth spending a bit more money on a few different types of eartips to figure out which one works best for you. There are never any shortcuts to this process, because everybody's ears are different.

Jul 29, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #3,850 of 6,066

I'll be brief since this isn't the Xelento or AK T8ie thread. What I've found is that each IEM is slightly different for everyone. While I tend to align with many reviews on headphones - my impressions on IEMs often differ dramatically. It could be my ear shape, who knows. Since the AKs and BD are the same form factor, and I think both sound great, I feel comfortable commenting.

My comparisons and @rantng 's are similar enough to not compare and contrast each of their points. The starkest difference in our impressions is the bass. I find the bass on the Xelento to be significantly reduced from the AK. It still has plenty of low end and impact for me, but not nearly the bass of the AK. We agree to be close enough on all other points. The AK is "warmer", while the BD seems more neutral with a clearer upper end. I love both.

Thank you for the tips on tips. I have a tough time interpreting measurements into sound, I don't have that skillset yet, but I do appreciate the posts. I am finding that in my case, yes, they make a huge difference.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #3,851 of 6,066
Without a seal, the KSE's are not listenable (is that a word?).

I must not have had a seal with the Shure 215 tip the gentleman brought me when I asked for a smaller tip. They were not listenable to me... If it's not a word, then we'll both use it and make it one. :)

Thanks to you and the rest of the posters. I'll see what I can do to round up some various tips and maybe give them another try next week.

Jul 29, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #3,852 of 6,066
I had a similar problem with the black foam in my right ear. I have settled on using the smallest foam tip in my right ear and one size up in the left ear. The fit, while perhaps shy of perfect, is extremely good. Getting the IEM all the way in is important, though—don't be afraid to give the black foam a firm little shove until it's fully inserted. If you're using the triple flange, though, be careful (also, consider not using the triple flange). It's so long that I almost suspect sticking it in the wrong ear canal too forcefully could cause damage.

Jul 29, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #3,853 of 6,066

First time I tried my KSE1500 I was thinking what's all the fuss about, sound worst than $29 apple earpods. Then the moment when you make a proper seal, instantly get transformed. Like OOhhh... that what Jude was hearing when he reviewed them

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #3,855 of 6,066

It's true, when the KSE1500 first came out I tried them at a busy show floor with only a few minutes and thought they sounded quite terrible with shrilled highs and no bass. When the KSE1200's pre-release demo units was making the rounds in Japan I tried them again but this time at e-earphones in Osaka with all the time in the world to try getting them to fit well and was really blown away at the amount of detail I can extract from them, the bass actually has a nice thump to them, and the fast cymbal crashes on rock songs was like nothing I've heard before from other IEMs. I ended up spending 30 minutes on them and that's when I decided I was definitely going to get a pair when they come out.

The KSE is the only IEM I've tried where even a tiny bit of pressure being applied can drastically alter the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back