Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Jul 17, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #3,811 of 6,068
I currently listen to CA Andromeda with LG V30. Would KSE1200 be an upgrade in light of this specific pairing? Would be very interested to hear from those that own(ed) both KSE1200/1500 and Andromeda. Thx guys, great thread btw!

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #3,812 of 6,068
KSE will be an upgrade in basically every aspect but you need to keep in mind it will be different presentation as well. Andromeda is v shaped so it sounds more exciting and KSE1200 is neutral with just slight bass boost.. If you're listening mostly to a popular music like rock, pop, rap etc there is a possibility you will be dissapointed with the Shure.

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #3,813 of 6,068
I listen to pretty much every genre on the KSE1500 with 0 disappointment. I think people just need some time for their ears and brain to adjust to the lightening speed and detail.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #3,814 of 6,068
@Mach3 same here but if someone is accustomed to a colored presentation there is a possibility that KSE will be boring for him. Other than incredible speed, detail, resolution and perfect tonality they are quite normal sounding to be honest. I've been using etymotics and now I even find them colored up top compared to KSE :wink:

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #3,815 of 6,068
I was accustomed to coloured presentation. Coming from a bunch of Sony IEM check my profile. After getting the KSE1500, I'm permanently converted. When I switch back, I always feels like there something lacking. Sort of like listening low res instead of hi res

Jul 17, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #3,816 of 6,068
Best of my "custom" tip.
I do love the sound and comfortable.
.1 Spinfit CP240M to remaining as tip
.1 Shure stock back M size to cut and take out dust filter *
.1 Spinfit CP800S to cut and use its white sleeve, bcs CP240 has big bore size may be 5mm

Benefit :

1. Very comfortable from oval dome shape of cp240. It is much better fit and comfort than sphere shape of cp800.
2. Wider sound enviroinment! I dont know what bring this, by dust filter redirect air blow, or by air room changing (both dimension and some internal gap of each components)...
Wide, but not sacrify any detail, speed, impact
3. Nice as see in pictures. Gray, red and white color combination. Nice!

20180717_200655.jpg 20180717_200455.jpg 20180717_200548.jpg 20180717_200528.jpg 20180717_200646.jpg 20180717_200637.jpg 20180717_200632.jpg

Jul 17, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #3,817 of 6,068
nvm bad joke

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #3,819 of 6,068
I tried the KSE1200 with my desktop setup. For output, I used my iCan Pro. Since it has several output options here is what I tried (all SE outputs):
  • 3.5mm - since iCan Pro has built in impedance matching for the 3.5mm ports, this caused the output to KSE1200 to be really low at normal gain.
  • 6.3mm - at normal gain and -10 dB padding, the optimal volume was exactly 12 o-clock on the volume knob to avoid clipping. LOL even I can remember this!
  • Variable line out - same as the 6.3mm headphone out. This is what I ended up using strictly due having a really nice RCA to 3.5mm cable already on hand.
I must say, using the iCan Pro in tube mode out to the KSE1200 was a really sweet flowing sound in addition to the technical qualities. My 30 min of curiosity turned into 3 hours of non-stop listening. After trying so many sources for the KSE1200, my conclusion is that it is designed to work equally well with line out or headphone out of your source device. The KSE1200 "amp" does not appear to alter the characteristics of your source. I think all it does is transform the voltages to electrostatic levels. In fact, iFi has what they call an "energizer" iESL that works with the iCan Pro to do exactly what the KSE1200 amp does - convert iCan Pro output to Stax electrostatic voltages without altering the source.

I think it's easier to imagine that KSE1200 is just a headphone that happens to need a very special cable and adapter to use.

Jul 17, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #3,820 of 6,068
I have had my KSE1200's for a week now. I have mostly used them at my desk with a Mojo, but I have also been out walking and driving with my Fiio X5iii using it's variable output line out. (hooray) Sometimes I pull the KSE out of my ears and start listening to my SE 846's. There is very little similarity between the two. And yet I like both quite a bit. The 846 punches, the KSE sings so sweetly. If I had to pick between the two of them..... Oh wait, I get to do that on a daily basis. :)

Jul 22, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #3,821 of 6,068
I bristle a bit at comparing LCDi4 to KSE1500. Although they both do go in your ears and are easily portable, the similarities in use case end there. One has no isolation; the other has the best isolation in the industry. One is intended for bass-heavy music; the other is intended for more treble-heavy (classical) music. Even if you like both of them, I can't imagine you use them for similar tasks. They are different tools.

I've tried the LCDi4 three times so far, but it just doesn't fit my taste. And given that I'm listening to electronica, I can say that I much prefer the bass presentation of the KSE1500 over the i4. The latter might be able to produce more volume undistorted, but for the level I listen at the KSE is more than capable of producing satisfying bass, clear, deep and powerful. Furthermore I dislike the upper mids presentation of the i4, something thats just excellent with the KSE.

The i4 looses what I really value with the Shure: isolation. I often use the KSE1500 while working at a cafe, where the i4 would be useless without turning up the volume too much. At home I mostly use over-ears, but the i4 was just plain uncomfortable to me, so I would not use it there as well.

I never use the KSE1500 on the go, its just too big and clumsy with its amp. On the other hand in the underground the SE846 works just fine, giving me about the same isolation and the option of a Bluetooth connection. So besides me not liking the sound signature of the LCDi4, I simply see no use case for me. I don't like in-ears too much from a comfort point of view, but the KSE1500 is just so excellent sounding that I even use it at home sometimes. Over the past few months owning it, I'm more and more thinking, its the best headphone I've heard so far.

Jul 22, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #3,822 of 6,068
I've tried the LCDi4 three times so far, but it just doesn't fit my taste. And given that I'm listening to electronica, I can say that I much prefer the bass presentation of the KSE1500 over the i4. The latter might be able to produce more volume undistorted, but for the level I listen at the KSE is more than capable of producing satisfying bass, clear, deep and powerful. Furthermore I dislike the upper mids presentation of the i4, something thats just excellent with the KSE.

The i4 looses what I really value with the Shure: isolation. I often use the KSE1500 while working at a cafe, where the i4 would be useless without turning up the volume too much. At home I mostly use over-ears, but the i4 was just plain uncomfortable to me, so I would not use it there as well.

I never use the KSE1500 on the go, its just too big and clumsy with its amp. On the other hand in the underground the SE846 works just fine, giving me about the same isolation and the option of a Bluetooth connection. So besides me not liking the sound signature of the LCDi4, I simply see no use case for me. I don't like in-ears too much from a comfort point of view, but the KSE1500 is just so excellent sounding that I even use it at home sometimes. Over the past few months owning it, I'm more and more thinking, its the best headphone I've heard so far.

I'm on the same boat. Been using my Stax collection less and less since getting the KSE1500. The HD800 hasn't been touch for about a year since I got into Stax. I don't see myself reaching out for them any time soon. It's so incredible that the KSE1500 offers end game sound in a portable solution.

Jul 22, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #3,823 of 6,068
I'm on the same boat. Been using my Stax collection less and less since getting the KSE1500. The HD800 hasn't been touch for about a year since I got into Stax. I don't see myself reaching out for them any time soon. It's so incredible that the KSE1500 offers end game sound in a portable solution.

Yes, that is a major point for me: I can pack it when traveling. I think its really a one of its kind in that regard...

IMG_7228s.jpg IMG_7229s.jpg
I use an AK380SS as a source, but sometimes enjoy the option of using the builtin DAC with an iPhone.
Thats a Goruck GR1 Field Pocket btw.

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #3,824 of 6,068
Off topic, but I read that fitear est is hybid BA and e.static inear. It works by 3.5 out from mobile phones, tv, dap....etc w/o energizer like usual.
There's a 100:1 transformer inside each ear.
Is it possible Kes1200SE will go that way :)

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #3,825 of 6,068
For me, the i4 and kse1200 have different uses. I'm at an airport gate right now, and the i4 give me a wonderful listening experience without entirely cutting me off from the outside world. I just hit the button on the cipher cable when announcements are made. Walking around at home, walking around the park, listening to asmr on YouTube at bedtime -- all i4 with the cipher cable.

When I'm on an airplane or sitting at my desk at work where it's noisy, I'll listen to the kse 1200. The detail provided by the isolation is just magical.

As for actual differences in sound. I might say the i4 puts you on stage, the kse 1200 puts you in the studio or audience. The i4 is in your face, the kse 1200 handles details a bit more delicately.

Tip rolling makes a big difference with both and, honestly, makes me a bit tired. This and soundstage (though the kse1200 surprise me here) are where over-ears win.

I'm very happy and lucky to have both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back