Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Nov 6, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #3,197 of 6,059
Hi everybody.
Is it possible to use kse's as just amplifier and connect another DAC?
Coz this DAC only support 24/96 but DSD and others. So my question is it possible to get benefit from these headphones just as headphones and advantages from another DAC???
Million thanx

this is actually the best solution, the built-in dac is not as good at the the amp and earphones.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #3,200 of 6,059
Hi everybody.
Is it possible to use kse's as just amplifier and connect another DAC?
Coz this DAC only support 24/96 but DSD and others. So my question is it possible to get benefit from these headphones just as headphones and advantages from another DAC???
Million thanx
See my pic 20171107_192436.jpg

Nov 22, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #3,202 of 6,059
I’ve had the pleasure of testing out the KSE-1500’s at the electric town Akihabara Tokyo while visiting Japan. I happen to bring my SE846’s with me on this trip and was able to test them side by side using my Comply P-series tips. I didn’t expect that the KSE earpiece to be so light, being an electrostatic system. It is also noticeably smaller than the SE846. The comfort was superb, as the 846’s are already very comfortable for me. I have to agree with the rest of the board that it is by far the most resolving IEM, no for a matter of fact, any audio device I’ve ever heard. I think that the small soundstage help lend to such resolution. It’s like a big magnifier that close in on everything. The bass was also superb, which I didn’t expect for an IEM so focused on resolutions and details. Treble are extremely well extended, but never fatiguing. I’ve never heard of any electrostatic headphones before, but the speed is even faster than planar magnetics. The electrostatic sound is absolutely intoxicating, makes me never want to go back to BA IEM’s or dynamic drivers. I was so impressed with how electrostatic sound, that I went to a nearby specialty audio store to try out some end game stuff. They just happen to have a pair of Stax SR-009 hooked up to a Stax SRM-T8000 amp, playing The Planets DSD CD using an Esoteric K-07X player. This stuff probably cost $10k USD combined, and completely and utterly destroyed me. I never listened to anything close to this tier, and never believed that music can sound this good. I was completely blown away, had goosebumps all over, and nearly pissed my pants. I felt like I am so spoiled now that I will never find anything as good. I even listened to their Focal Utopia’s and couldn’t find that to be on the same playing field as the SR-009 setup. I’m now know how the real end game sound like and how far I’m from it, which makes me both happy and sad. I also don’t know if any IEM’s can get close to that level of performance, as good as the KSE’s are. The audio store got some really high end speakers. In fact they have 7 floors of them, with each floor elevating in their price. I was only on the 1st floor and they have some $5k Revel’s and B&W’s, which makes me wonder how will those $100-200k speakers sound like.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #3,204 of 6,059
I’ve had the pleasure of testing out the KSE-1500’s at the electric town Akihabara Tokyo while visiting Japan. I happen to bring my SE846’s with me on this trip and was able to test them side by side using my Comply P-series tips. I didn’t expect that the KSE earpiece to be so light, being an electrostatic system. It is also noticeably smaller than the SE846. The comfort was superb, as the 846’s are already very comfortable for me. I have to agree with the rest of the board that it is by far the most resolving IEM, no for a matter of fact, any audio device I’ve ever heard. I think that the small soundstage help lend to such resolution. It’s like a big magnifier that close in on everything. The bass was also superb, which I didn’t expect for an IEM so focused on resolutions and details. Treble are extremely well extended, but never fatiguing. I’ve never heard of any electrostatic headphones before, but the speed is even faster than planar magnetics. The electrostatic sound is absolutely intoxicating, makes me never want to go back to BA IEM’s or dynamic drivers. I was so impressed with how electrostatic sound, that I went to a nearby specialty audio store to try out some end game stuff. They just happen to have a pair of Stax SR-009 hooked up to a Stax SRM-T8000 amp, playing The Planets DSD CD using an Esoteric K-07X player. This stuff probably cost $10k USD combined, and completely and utterly destroyed me. I never listened to anything close to this tier, and never believed that music can sound this good. I was completely blown away, had goosebumps all over, and nearly pissed my pants. I felt like I am so spoiled now that I will never find anything as good. I even listened to their Focal Utopia’s and couldn’t find that to be on the same playing field as the SR-009 setup. I’m now know how the real end game sound like and how far I’m from it, which makes me both happy and sad. I also don’t know if any IEM’s can get close to that level of performance, as good as the KSE’s are. The audio store got some really high end speakers. In fact they have 7 floors of them, with each floor elevating in their price. I was only on the 1st floor and they have some $5k Revel’s and B&W’s, which makes me wonder how will those $100-200k speakers sound like.
You must had a blast on your trip to tokyo. I recently had a trip myself and acquired a KSE1500 used from e-earphone. Finally an estat experience in the go is possible.

Nov 26, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #3,206 of 6,059
Solarium's impressions really make me think whether I did the right thing, passing on the KSE1500 for not having a detachable cable (having spent $2k on SE846+SHA900, I might as well could have...).
Haven't been following the thread since I cancelled the order - are there any news on an KSE1500 upgrade/successor (cable-related in particular)?

Nov 26, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #3,207 of 6,059
Solarium's impressions really make me think whether I did the right thing, passing on the KSE1500 for not having a detachable cable (having spent $2k on SE846+SHA900, I might as well could have...).
Haven't been following the thread since I cancelled the order - are there any news on an KSE1500 upgrade/successor (cable-related in particular)?

I’m not an expert about the electrostatic headphones/earphones, but I don’t remember seeing many with a
replaceable cable.
If this is the only factor to cancel the KSE1500, I really doubt that in the future shure will reward us with an evolution of the KSE1500 with replaceable cables.
May be you should try the Audeze lcdi4, it uses a 2-pin connector and I’m sure that you’ll be able to find the proper cable.

Nov 26, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #3,208 of 6,059
AFAIK there aren't any electrostats with cables you can replace, but not long ago there weren't any electrostatic IEMs either (except those weird Stax).
I actually cancelled because the expected wait time was 4 months (cancelled after 2 and a half), then thought better of it. 3 grand is 3 grand, after all...

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #3,209 of 6,059
Waitting for my SP1000 to arrival in few minutes.
P.S Yesterday I heard Chord Blu MK2 + Dave combo.
I wish I am a bank's boss or I can print $ for myself :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back