Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Oct 12, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #3,166 of 6,059
Personally I liked the sound of the Empire Zeus (not sure which specific model), although they're not cheap either.

I haven't tried the IE800, but I had the 846 for a while and I think they're solid. But I found I needed to use the white filter, with a custom silver litz cable. That made a dramatic improvement.

In terms of fit, the KSE is smaller/lighter, but in some ways I preferred the fit of the 846. There's more isolation because it's got a thicker, bigger body that resides in your ear canal and helps to block out sound. I have to use longer and denser foam tips with the KSE to achieve similar isolation.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #3,167 of 6,059
Nah, perhaps several bottles of beer later and will be close

Astute observation. Large amounts of brain-altering substances are the only way you're going to find anything else that approaches (or seems to?!) the precision and detail of the KSE1500. I was one of the folks who left a 5-star review for the Xelentos. They're great headphones, considering they don't require the electrostatic amp, but they're a couple of steps behind the KSE1500.

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #3,168 of 6,059
Astute observation. Large amounts of brain-altering substances are the only way you're going to find anything else that approaches (or seems to?!) the precision and detail of the KSE1500. I was one of the folks who left a 5-star review for the Xelentos. They're great headphones, considering they don't require the electrostatic amp, but they're a couple of steps behind the KSE1500.

People tend to give their conclusion after a short time listening to a gear. Normally, it takes time for one to develop familiarity with the gear and trying different genre/music possible. I was not initially convinced with KSE1500 when it was first released, but over time I tried to listening to as many tracks as I possibly can. Comparing it to multiple iems and playing with EQ and all before I get to know how capable it is. I enjoyed the AKT8ieMKII and thought the Xelento is a step further. But it can't match the clarity nor the overall staging of KSE1500. They sound like a headphone than an iem. They sound bigger than any iem for me.

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #3,169 of 6,059
People tend to give their conclusion after a short time listening to a gear. Normally, it takes time for one to develop familiarity with the gear and trying different genre/music possible. I was not initially convinced with KSE1500 when it was first released, but over time I tried to listening to as many tracks as I possibly can. Comparing it to multiple iems and playing with EQ and all before I get to know how capable it is. I enjoyed the AKT8ieMKII and thought the Xelento is a step further. But it can't match the clarity nor the overall staging of KSE1500. They sound like a headphone than an iem. They sound bigger than any iem for me.

Well, you obviously haven´t heard the Layla 2 with Brimar Audio Supreme Reference Monarch cables. With my ALO CDM they produce a soundstage that rivals the best over ears. As much as I too love my KSE1500 for their neutrality, my FAD PF X-CC-T25 outclass the Shure when it comes to microdynamics and silkiness of treble, while the Layla 2 are easily 2 classes above the KSE in everything, and they should be. The combination is more than double the price of the KSE......:sunglasses:

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #3,170 of 6,059
Well, you obviously haven´t heard the Layla 2 with Brimar Audio Supreme Reference Monarch cables. With my ALO CDM they produce a soundstage that rivals the best over ears. As much as I too love my KSE1500 for their neutrality, my FAD PF X-CC-T25 outclass the Shure when it comes to microdynamics and silkiness of treble, while the Layla 2 are easily 2 classes above the KSE in everything, and they should be. The combination is more than double the price of the KSE......:sunglasses:

Well actually I did. Not only Layla, but the whole JH range. All I can say is the Roxanne is the last iem I am getting from JH. To me they sound artificial rather than having more detail or having more clarity.

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #3,171 of 6,059
Well actually I did. Not only Layla, but the whole JH range. All I can say is the Roxanne is the last iem I am getting from JH. To me they sound artificial rather than having more detail or having more clarity.

The Layla 2 with the Brimar Audio cable is a completely different IEM. If you haven´t heard it, well, then you haven´t heard it......

Oct 16, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #3,172 of 6,059
The Layla 2 with the Brimar Audio cable is a completely different IEM. If you haven´t heard it, well, then you haven´t heard it......

I'll admit I haven't heard the combination of Brimar Audio cable with the Layla ii, but with stock cables, I've heard all the JH range, and (for my ears) I still prefer the KSE1500. I'd be surprised if a cable were enough to give balanced armatures (no matter how proprietary) the speed and high-frequency response of an electrostat. Also, Layla ii isn't my favorite JH IEM. I had a long discussion with Jerry about this and he admitted to me his favorite was (like mine) the new Lolas. I know the Layla iis have the wider soundstage, but that's all illusory when you're playing back, via headphones, music recorded for speakers. I've spent quite a bit of time with the Lolas, but never quite got round to pulling the trigger on them - not because of the sound, but because of the fit. The universals weren't ideal for me and I'm not a believer in CIEMs. (I mean, I believe they exist, but there are lots of reasons I don't like them and would never buy one again.) I know my good friend @moedawg140 owns the custom Layla ii though and he likes them a lot. He's not doing too well right now:

https://www.gofundme.com/maurice-and-suzzettes-medical-fund

but hopefully he will get better soon and can get back to this forum and give a plug for the Laylas :)

Oct 16, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #3,173 of 6,059

Which Headphone would you say sounds similar as the KSE?
STAX cheaper models? or would there be a planar/dynamic driver headphones with similar sound?

Oct 16, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #3,174 of 6,059
STAX cheaper models? or would there be a planar/dynamic driver headphones with similar sound?

You mean full-sized, over-ear headphones? I don't have a lot of experience with full-sized electrostats, but my favorites out of the planar magnetic and dynamic driver category are the HD800S and the Utopia. They're both awesome headphones and good for other reasons (some people don't like things shoved in their ear canals all the time, and a lot of folks here appear to place tremendous importance to soundstage width), but to my ears, neither match the detail retrieval of the KSE1500.

Oct 16, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #3,175 of 6,059

With an EQ boost from 100Hz and below, I can say the KSE1500 is closer to SR-007A. Just a bit less airy which is obviously due to the design. However, there is no doubt the KSE1500 is a electrostat system.

As far as clarity, transient resolution/speed goes, the Audeze iSine20/LCDi4 is on the same level if not very close. In fact, I just switch between this and my iSine20/LPG combo. I would be happy already with the iSine20/LPG+PEQ combo if it is a closed-back or have decent isolation compared to KSE1500. On commutes and noisy public places, the KSE1500 surely gives me the better experience.

I was choosing between this and the LCDi4. But after several comparisons and considerations, plus the fact that I already have the iSine20 (which is not that far from LCDi4 as much as the price difference tells us) I chose this to compliment my iSine20. Both by the way sound stunning with LPG as the source.

Oct 16, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #3,176 of 6,059
I'll admit I haven't heard the combination of Brimar Audio cable with the Layla ii, but with stock cables, I've heard all the JH range, and (for my ears) I still prefer the KSE1500. I'd be surprised if a cable were enough to give balanced armatures (no matter how proprietary) the speed and high-frequency response of an electrostat. Also, Layla ii isn't my favorite JH IEM. I had a long discussion with Jerry about this and he admitted to me his favorite was (like mine) the new Lolas. I know the Layla iis have the wider soundstage, but that's all illusory when you're playing back, via headphones, music recorded for speakers. I've spent quite a bit of time with the Lolas, but never quite got round to pulling the trigger on them - not because of the sound, but because of the fit. The universals weren't ideal for me and I'm not a believer in CIEMs. (I mean, I believe they exist, but there are lots of reasons I don't like them and would never buy one again.) I know my good friend @moedawg140 owns the custom Layla ii though and he likes them a lot. He's not doing too well right now:

https://www.gofundme.com/maurice-and-suzzettes-medical-fund

but hopefully he will get better soon and can get back to this forum and give a plug for the Laylas :)

Yeah, I'll pass if I am told a cable will give the headphone a wider soundstage. First of all, the things I value the most in headphones is clarity, natural sound, great/accurate imaging low distortion at high volume and fast transients which I believe contributes a big deal to a non-fatiguing sound. The KSE1500 and iSines/LCDi4 have nailed these attributes. I give a little of the timbre quality advantage to KSE1500 for my preference. Any other attributes is most likely can be altered by EQ. These headphones, responds very well with EQ (PEQ in LPG is great).

As far a BA goes, i tried a lot and the common thing I notice is that though they can sound so detailed and with image as good, they tend to sound artificial and quickly fatiguing. I still think the best BA I heard is the Hidition NT-6. The JH range in comparison just sound so muddy.

I recently heard the Tia Fourte, which could be on the same level as the iSines/KSE. I only heard it for 30 minutes and so far I can say it does not sound the typical BA. It' not cheap, but it is on my to do list for comparison with the iSine/KSE1500.

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #3,177 of 6,059
You mean full-sized, over-ear headphones? I don't have a lot of experience with full-sized electrostats, but my favorites out of the planar magnetic and dynamic driver category are the HD800S and the Utopia. They're both awesome headphones and good for other reasons (some people don't like things shoved in their ear canals all the time, and a lot of folks here appear to place tremendous importance to soundstage width), but to my ears, neither match the detail retrieval of the KSE1500.

Yeah, I'll pass if I am told a cable will give the headphone a wider soundstage. First of all, the things I value the most in headphones is clarity, natural sound, great/accurate imaging low distortion at high volume and fast transients which I believe contributes a big deal to a non-fatiguing sound. The KSE1500 and iSines/LCDi4 have nailed these attributes. I give a little of the timbre quality advantage to KSE1500 for my preference. Any other attributes is most likely can be altered by EQ. These headphones, responds very well with EQ (PEQ in LPG is great).

As far a BA goes, i tried a lot and the common thing I notice is that though they can sound so detailed and with image as good, they tend to sound artificial and quickly fatiguing. I still think the best BA I heard is the Hidition NT-6. The JH range in comparison just sound so muddy.

I recently heard the Tia Fourte, which could be on the same level as the iSines/KSE. I only heard it for 30 minutes and so far I can say it does not sound the typical BA. It' not cheap, but it is on my to do list for comparison with the iSine/KSE1500.

Oh Man, too many great options for an empty wallet..
I have not heard any IEM in terms of clarity that can match KSE1500, but have not tried a lot of iems either, i will put the isines on my audition to do list.
The only thing i don't like of the isine and turn me off, as mentioned the lack of isolation.

i should only start saving money for the KSE...

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #3,178 of 6,059
Oh Man, too many great options for an empty wallet..
I have not heard any IEM in terms of clarity that can match KSE1500, but have not tried a lot of iems either, i will put the isines on my audition to do list.
The only thing i don't like of the isine and turn me off, as mentioned the lack of isolation.

i should only start saving money for the KSE...
Take note that iSine may need EQ to sound right as the default FR curve make it sound so hollow. But with EQ it is up there among the best sounding headphone regardless of the price. The isolation or lack thereof is fine most of the time on ambient room noise. I just get unusable in trains/buses or similar places

Oct 19, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #3,179 of 6,059
Has anyone tried the Westone tips (start and true fit tips) here? I'm curious how they compare with the other tips already mentioned here.

Oct 20, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #3,180 of 6,059
I'm not going to read through 3,179 post but have been following this thread/product off and on for a while. From a technology standpoint, I know this is the only game in town and they're not that old, but in audio gear terms they've been around for a while now. Is there any talk about a new version or updated dac/amp on the horizon? I would hate to purchase these on the tail end of it's marketed life span.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back