Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Nov 17, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #6,046 of 6,060
I would be very grateful for advice. I have the opportunity to purchase the KSE1200 blind for a very good price. I only listen to classical music, mostly orchestral, and have so far done so with the IE800 and IE800s. I have tried the IE900 but returned them, the sound felt rather congested on orchestral pieces and did not really impress me (using a Topping DX7 Pro and an iBasso DX220, with AMP4s, both balanced). Besides I felt the IE900 to be much warmer and less airy than either IE800 model.

I am therefore looking for a clear improvement over what I have, mainly through more neutral, better imaging, and better transparency. I read that the soundstage is not KSE1200's forte, so I assume it will be smaller than the IE800 models, but would it be satisfying for classical, given the level of detail and resolution it is capable of putting out?

Also, with regards to the current models more or less at KSE's second-hand pricing (say 1000-1500 USD, or slightly higher), which ones could go toe to toe with it for my intended use, or is KSE1200 really the go-model for that kind of music?

Many thanks for any advice in this regard!
Hopefully, you have a good chain feeding it or it is going to show you the deficiencies in your chain. As previously stated, get some tips to try and rotate thru. When you find "THAT" fit, there is not much better out there.

Nov 17, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #6,047 of 6,060
- I-
I have many iems and none beat the kse1200 for transparancy. Can't go wrong with it for classical. It doesn't have the biggest sound stage but in every other aspect its fantastic
Thanks, that's encouraging to hear. How much of an impact does the smaller sound stage have on classical, particularly large orchestral pieces? I have noticed you have the IE900 as well, could you please provide a direct comparison between the two, as I am somewhat familiar with the IE900. Thanks again!

Nov 17, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #6,048 of 6,060
I have many iems and none beat the kse1200 for transparancy. Can't go wrong with it for classical. It doesn't have the biggest sound stage but in every other aspect its fantastic
My Andromeda 2020s have a pretty big soundstage, and everything is separated, but it's slightly artificial. With the KSE1200 I can hear the empty space between the different instruments, and it sounds more realistic.

Nov 18, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #6,049 of 6,060
- I-

Thanks, that's encouraging to hear. How much of an impact does the smaller sound stage have on classical, particularly large orchestral pieces? I have noticed you have the IE900 as well, could you please provide a direct comparison between the two, as I am somewhat familiar with the IE900. Thanks again!
Sorry I’ve never listened to the ie900 but what sets the kse1200 apart for me is the speed of the driver. When the instruments are layered and complex these drivers are fast enough to keep up and maintain the detail. I am a Prog rock fan and the nuances in the bass tones all stand out well, better than any other iem I own. When things get hectic you can hear everything, I love these. As others have mentioned, tip is key. Don’t judge them until you know you’re got the tips nailed.

Nov 18, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #6,050 of 6,060
I would be very grateful for advice. I have the opportunity to purchase the KSE1200 blind for a very good price. I only listen to classical music, mostly orchestral, and have so far done so with the IE800 and IE800s. I have tried the IE900 but returned them, the sound felt rather congested on orchestral pieces and did not really impress me (using a Topping DX7 Pro and an iBasso DX220, with AMP4s, both balanced). Besides I felt the IE900 to be much warmer and less airy than either IE800 model.

I am therefore looking for a clear improvement over what I have, mainly through more neutral, better imaging, and better transparency. I read that the soundstage is not KSE1200's forte, so I assume it will be smaller than the IE800 models, but would it be satisfying for classical, given the level of detail and resolution it is capable of putting out?

Also, with regards to the current models more or less at KSE's second-hand pricing (say 1000-1500 USD, or slightly higher), which ones could go toe to toe with it for my intended use, or is KSE1200 really the go-model for that kind of music?

Many thanks for any advice in this regard!
Not sure $1500 for a 2nd hand unit is "cheap", but my unit brand new was bought in Japan supermaket at $1700 4 years ago.

Nov 20, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #6,051 of 6,060
- I-

They are completly different to be honest. I don't find the ie900 to be that great for classical but are really good for electronic music. While I would say the opposite reg the kse1200. The staging isn't huge but I would say that its very accurate. For orchestral music I have nothing that beats the kse1200. The music sounds very natural and instruments sound as they should.

Nov 26, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #6,052 of 6,060
I own both the KSE1200 and the IE900.

Regarding fit, Shure's triple-flanges fit me well, while I spent over $125 USD on a cornucopia of aftermarket tips for the wider bore and shallower fit of the IE900. Despite all that, I could only get a seal rarely. I'm selling it now for that reason. Despite their small size and generally good ergonomics, I've heard of several other cases of impossible fit with the IE series.

On sound alone, with proper seal, I like them both very, very much. Though I prefer the KSE, it's not by as much as I would have guessed given the price difference.

YMMV, of course, as is the case with all IEMs.I find the KSE clearer and more resolving, with a smoother treble. Soundstage is less wide but deeper. The delta isn't large though, especially if you're not listening critically.

The IE900 is punchier and more holographic to me.

I listen to mostly rock, Americana, indie folk, and indie electronic. Both suit these genres equally well to me. I quite like the KSE on electronic, actually (listening to Blancmange's latest album now). With my ear canals and tips, the bass is boosted, and the clarity in the treble is insane.

No idea about classical, sorry!

Nov 28, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #6,053 of 6,060
Not sure $1500 for a 2nd hand unit is "cheap", but my unit brand new was bought in Japan supermaket at $1700 4 years ago.
I'm imagining going into a Tom Thumb and seeing the KSE1200 in the checkout line. LOL. Probably closer to the truth is that Japanese supermarkets have electronics sections.

Dec 14, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #6,055 of 6,060
I've been using the Spinfit CP240M's with my KSE's for the last 1.5yrs, I like them but ready to try another. i'm curious what other eartips are recommended? Thanks.

Mar 11, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #6,057 of 6,060
Has anyone come across a case that fits the 1200 nice and clean?

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #6,059 of 6,060
Has anyone come across a case that fits the 1200 nice and clean?
Nope. I've been looking on both US and Japanese sites.

Strange that. A case would really help prevent the volume knob from turning so easily when in a pocket. And I think there's more 1200's sold than 1500's. So you'd think there'd be a big enough market for a case.

Apr 27, 2024 at 5:54 AM Post #6,060 of 6,060
Does anyone recommend a better micro-b to lightning cable than the shure cable from Moon audio? I'm on my second where the micro-b bends out and is almost broken its connection, it's flimsy and breaks the audio connection very easily. it would be great to have like a 1" cord with both connections at right angles that fits the energizer and the phone when they're stacked, instead on the section of cord that sticks out and gets damaged when bent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back