Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Sep 5, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #6,031 of 6,066
I do EQing by feeding digital signal from PA Tones android app to the "dac-amp" KSE1500.
2K and 6.3K are the bands center frequency (peaks).
PA tone helps detecting, adjusment and check very quick and simply.
From 10K it start to roll off. I dont know it is natural or just my hearing ability, so I crank up 8K range.
Highest tone I can hear is 17k (L ear) and 15k (R ear)

SmartSelect_20230818_201359_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20230818_201351_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20230818_201343_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20230818_201332_Gallery.jpg
I wish i got the KSE1500 for this reason - a nice in built EQ like this is invaluable. I wish there was a way to just get the amplifier for my KSE1200, but I'm Shure it'll be expensive

Sep 10, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #6,032 of 6,066
Thats was my opinion at the start, using linear power supply improved things significantly (becomes warmer sounding). It still retains that vividness but coupled with smoothness and warmth it comes across as super resolution which combined with the resolving nature of the KSE become something magical. But I agree that RME can sometimes still come across as too accurate and forgets to have fun, but I can’t say it sounds brighter anymore over say Mojo 2 or WM1AM2 if anything it’s warmer smoother and less fatiguing.
@emilsoft,
- Which linear power supply are you using for your RME-ADI 2 Pro? I have the stock power supply that came with it, i'd be curious to try a recommended linear power supply.
- What is your filter of choice with the KSE? I typically stick with the SD-Sharp filter across the board, have not really played with slow or NOS filters with the KSE1500, I may try those again.
- do you utilize RME's PEQ for the KSE's? If so, what's your settings?

Thanks!

Sep 11, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #6,033 of 6,066
@emilsoft,
- Which linear power supply are you using for your RME-ADI 2 Pro? I have the stock power supply that came with it, i'd be curious to try a recommended linear power supply.
- What is your filter of choice with the KSE? I typically stick with the SD-Sharp filter across the board, have not really played with slow or NOS filters with the KSE1500, I may try those again.
- do you utilize RME's PEQ for the KSE's? If so, what's your settings?

Thanks!

- Fiio PL50 for linear power
- I have not preference for filter, they sound too close to me and depends on my mood i guess.
- Yes definitely use PEQ -please check my recent posts here on the PEQ I use and how to optimise it for you ear, I shared the details.

Sep 12, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #6,034 of 6,066
Well, crap. I forgot to turn on/charge my KSE1500 for a while. It won't charge now. Anyone knows if battery replacement is possible or am I doomed?

Sep 15, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #6,036 of 6,066
Well, crap. I forgot to turn on/charge my KSE1500 for a while. It won't charge now. Anyone knows if battery replacement is possible or am I doomed?
Always leave at least 80% charge when storing amp/dac unit. I've had mine for 3+ still going strong.

Sep 24, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #6,037 of 6,066
Any talk of Shure refreshing these with USB-C? The DAC could also use a refresher, but the MicroUSB is a terrible port.

Sep 24, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #6,038 of 6,066
Any talk of Shure refreshing these with USB-C? The DAC could also use a refresher, but the MicroUSB is a terrible port.
Yeah, also I wish they would include bluetooth so I don't have to connect a cable to my phone. Would be so so handy and convenience.

Oct 9, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #6,039 of 6,066
Any talk of Shure refreshing these with USB-C? The DAC could also use a refresher,
I don’t think that any DAC built into them will be better than the same mojo, and as for USB-C, you can always buy a small adapter and simply not remove it from the amplifier

Nov 4, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #6,041 of 6,066
I just dug my KSE1200 out from the back of the drawer, battery is fine, not sure when I last used it, perhaps six months ago.\

I wanted to try it with my Mojo2’s lossless EQ to see if I could tweet the sound a little more towards my preference, the result was, for me anyway EQ simply isn’t needed.

I’ll give it a few hours listening before returning it to the drawer, not that I don’t like the sound, I do, it’s just a little more inconvenient to use than my many other IEMs and headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #6,042 of 6,066
I would be very grateful for advice. I have the opportunity to purchase the KSE1200 blind for a very good price. I only listen to classical music, mostly orchestral, and have so far done so with the IE800 and IE800s. I have tried the IE900 but returned them, the sound felt rather congested on orchestral pieces and did not really impress me (using a Topping DX7 Pro and an iBasso DX220, with AMP4s, both balanced). Besides I felt the IE900 to be much warmer and less airy than either IE800 model.

I am therefore looking for a clear improvement over what I have, mainly through more neutral, better imaging, and better transparency. I read that the soundstage is not KSE1200's forte, so I assume it will be smaller than the IE800 models, but would it be satisfying for classical, given the level of detail and resolution it is capable of putting out?

Also, with regards to the current models more or less at KSE's second-hand pricing (say 1000-1500 USD, or slightly higher), which ones could go toe to toe with it for my intended use, or is KSE1200 really the go-model for that kind of music?

Many thanks for any advice in this regard!

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #6,044 of 6,066
I would be very grateful for advice. I have the opportunity to purchase the KSE1200 blind for a very good price. I only listen to classical music, mostly orchestral, and have so far done so with the IE800 and IE800s. I have tried the IE900 but returned them, the sound felt rather congested on orchestral pieces and did not really impress me (using a Topping DX7 Pro and an iBasso DX220, with AMP4s, both balanced). Besides I felt the IE900 to be much warmer and less airy than either IE800 model.

I am therefore looking for a clear improvement over what I have, mainly through more neutral, better imaging, and better transparency. I read that the soundstage is not KSE1200's forte, so I assume it will be smaller than the IE800 models, but would it be satisfying for classical, given the level of detail and resolution it is capable of putting out?

Also, with regards to the current models more or less at KSE's second-hand pricing (say 1000-1500 USD, or slightly higher), which ones could go toe to toe with it for my intended use, or is KSE1200 really the go-model for that kind of music?

I think the key to the KSE is the tips. Use the triple flange tips, but trim the stems flush with the bottom flange, to get the right fit. Buy a bunch of extra tips, and then you can change them when they get permanently deformed from your ear.

Nov 17, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #6,045 of 6,066

I have many iems and none beat the kse1200 for transparancy. Can't go wrong with it for classical. It doesn't have the biggest sound stage but in every other aspect its fantastic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back