Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Apr 16, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #6,016 of 6,066
Hi everyone,
If anyone is interested, I have my KSE1200 listed in the Classifieds.
KSE1200 - 950$

May 19, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #6,018 of 6,066
Just mine 5 cents on KSE1500.

1. Here is KSE1500 powered by STAX SR-M001

E94HjkNALa4.jpg

Pairing is OK, just keep in mind that BIAS for Shure model is limited to 200 Volts only, so you need to connect BIAS to the third stage of voltage multiplier.
So any owner now can have a low cost alternative in case of the damage of original KSE1500 or KSE1200 amplifier.

BEWARE!
If you connect BIAS contact to original bias point of SR-M001 shark between membrane and stators will possibly occures. You can damage the earphones!

2. My recipe for frequency response and tips tuning.

2153726.jpg

-
put Knowles acoustic resistor with low value (grey or white colour) to the sound tube. Exact match is BF-1859 (680 Ohm) or BF-1999 (330Ohm) in plastic housings.
I've used white resistors from Etymotic MC3 model (680 Ohm, white colour)
- cut the smallest flange from Etymotic eartip ER38-15SM
- put it to the sound tube upside-down
- place SpinFit CP100 to the sound tube so that it stay on the small flange and the botom of the eartip covers by outer part of the flange
- put foam ring in gap between sound tube and inner sides of the CP100, so thal all gap was fulled with acoustic foam.

7711103.jpg

Enjoy.

May 28, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #6,019 of 6,066
I just dug my KSE1200 out of the back of the drawer, gave the energiser a charge, fitted Azla SednaEarfit Max tips and am again reminded how great the KSE sounds.

I do find that it only really shines when played LOUD the sound is so clear and distortion free, it transports the listener to another place but there lies the problem, at those volumes I can only listen to two or three of my songs per day safely.

Why is life so cruel. :)

Jun 4, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #6,020 of 6,066
I just dug my KSE1200 out of the back of the drawer, gave the energiser a charge, fitted Azla SednaEarfit Max tips and am again reminded how great the KSE sounds.

I do find that it only really shines when played LOUD the sound is so clear and distortion free, it transports the listener to another place but there lies the problem, at those volumes I can only listen to two or three of my songs per day safely.

Why is life so cruel. :)
What do you use mainly to listen these days, and how does it stack up to the KSE? Thanks

Jul 9, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #6,022 of 6,066
Just a post for anyone searching now and does not want to thumb back 400+ pages.
Are they still relevant? YES
How do they sound? Clean, clear, crisp, detailed. highs thru lows
I have a nice desktop set at home, put when I really want that type sound quality mobile, this is it.
If you go this route, get the KSE1200 and just get a latest DAP with well implemented DACs. You do not need a high powered dap as you bypass its amp. The latest DAC chips are wonderful.
Outside of custom pro IEM's, these are epic.
Of course, this is JMHO

Jul 16, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #6,023 of 6,066
Quick update from me, if anyone does notice any driver flex symptoms check to make sure the shells aren’t coming unstuck, my LHS was.

I couldn’t be bothered sending it back to sure so I glued it back together with UV resin, sealing all the gaps, it seems to have worked ok, the driver flex is now gone and it sounds better than ever so I’m happy.

Aug 16, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #6,024 of 6,066
Close to perfect neutrality setting. For my ears, I started with Oratory's Crinnacle target eq setting then adjusted for my ears using frequency sweeps and careful listening and eq adjustment (for the above 4khz frequencies as these change for each individual ).

This is with their original silicone tips.

They take the eq like champs and reach a 99% perfect frequency response (target Crinnacle - similar to a gentle harman). I'm using WM1AM2 as source and they amplify all the goodness of their source, any sound coming is incredible engaging, even music that I never liked so much or though it's production was meh. The KSE's just pull apart all the knots of the music and present it in completely effortless manner and with perfect tonality correction for me it's at least a 10,000$ TOTL hifi system listening experience.

1. Go to reddit Oratory thread, find KSE1200 measurements - use Crinnacle eq settings (or even better, mine) and target, enter it in your EQ (I use UAPP or RME ADI)
2. On your computer use something like Logic pro and frequency sweep tool (logic has it in tools fx)- to find the high up dips and peaks as these shift depending on your ear canal. You want the sweep to sound smooth to your ear in relation to other sections - the smoother the better with no section louder or quieter than others. Run the sweep through EQ so you adjust as it's looping to really lock down those dips and peaks, play with Q values and amplification.
3. Once the sweep start sounding smooth (really focus on those areas to ensure this) you can then do some music listening tests - if music sounds sweet, relaxed and correct then you're golden. If there's harshness, or more than expected/doesn't sound natural - go back and forth a bit more with the sweeps and the EQ. Its mostly for the frequencies above 4khz as these change with different ears.

The above is made extremely easy if you use RME ADI 2 fs - as RME have released software so you can edit the ADI's eq from your computer on the fly - it is extremely fast so you can test many permutations quickly.

IMG_2564.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #6,025 of 6,066
Close to perfect neutrality setting. For my ears, I started with Oratory's Crinnacle target eq setting then adjusted for my ears using frequency sweeps and careful listening and eq adjustment (for the above 4khz frequencies as these change for each individual ).

This is with their original silicone tips.

They take the eq like champs and reach a 99% perfect frequency response (target Crinnacle - similar to a gentle harman). I'm using WM1AM2 as source and they amplify all the goodness of their source, any sound coming is incredible engaging, even music that I never liked so much or though it's production was meh. The KSE's just pull apart all the knots of the music and present it in completely effortless manner and with perfect tonality correction for me it's at least a 10,000$ TOTL hifi system listening experience.

1. Go to reddit Oratory thread, find KSE1200 measurements - use Crinnacle eq settings (or even better, mine) and target, enter it in your EQ (I use UAPP or RME ADI)
2. On your computer use something like Logic pro and frequency sweep tool (logic has it in tools fx)- to find the high up dips and peaks as these shift depending on your ear canal. You want the sweep to sound smooth to your ear in relation to other sections - the smoother the better with no section louder or quieter than others. Run the sweep through EQ so you adjust as it's looping to really lock down those dips and peaks, play with Q values and amplification.
3. Once the sweep start sounding smooth (really focus on those areas to ensure this) you can then do some music listening tests - if music sounds sweet, relaxed and correct then you're golden. If there's harshness, or more than expected/doesn't sound natural - go back and forth a bit more with the sweeps and the EQ. Its mostly for the frequencies above 4khz as these change with different ears.

The above is made extremely easy if you use RME ADI 2 fs - as RME have released software so you can edit the ADI's eq from your computer on the fly - it is extremely fast so you can test many permutations quickly.

IMG_2564.jpeg
Great post, thanks for taking the time to post this. I agree anout the kse-1200 pulling apart the knots, for me that’s the best thing about them, they can untangle the fastest of compositions and present them like I’ve never heard on ‘regular’ drivers. I literally went through the entire 400GB SD card in my Lotoo paw gold 2017 and for many tracks it was like I’d never really heard them. I’ve got an RME-ADI pro so I’ll give the eq and shot this weekend. Thanks again

Aug 17, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #6,026 of 6,066
Great post, thanks for taking the time to post this. I agree anout the kse-1200 pulling apart the knots, for me that’s the best thing about them, they can untangle the fastest of compositions and present them like I’ve never heard on ‘regular’ drivers. I literally went through the entire 400GB SD card in my Lotoo paw gold 2017 and for many tracks it was like I’d never really heard them. I’ve got an RME-ADI pro so I’ll give the eq and shot this weekend. Thanks again
The ADI2 pro is a killer DAC. It removes all traces of grain, congestion and digital nasties that we take for granted. Feed it with linear power (Fiio PL50) it goes even further. The KSE1200 with eq amplify it's qualities - the exceptional L/R separation that sounds almost surreal comes across as the first thing for me; the WM1AM2 sounds a lot more "mono" in comparison. Also the lack of harshness. The KSE make these comparisons incredibly easy more so than any other transducer I have. I suspect the KSE could be an excellent tool for music producers, no stone goes unturned but without any listening fatigue.

EQ is a 100% requirement with the KSE imo - luckily it's frequency problems are quite broad, localised and easy to tackle and almost completely overcome.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #6,027 of 6,066
I don't know how pro version stacks up to regular ADI2 dac but i've owned non pro version and I didn't like it. Don't get me wrong, overall as a complete package (dac, amp, eq) for the price it's truly great as I don't even know anything else with similar functionality.

However as a dac is meh. It's very clean and clear with good resolving ability and punchy sound but it leans a bit in to brighter and harsher sound. Not overly so but still. That's not his weakness though. The issue is that it sounds very forward and in your face. Soundstage is rendered extremely close to the listener and it's not especially wide and depth is quite poor. His greatness weakness is lack of microdynamics. Vocals for example sound very artificial almost like there is only 0 and 1 and nothing in between between different octaves. It sounds heavily compressed and one note without the fluidity.

All in all I would say that RME ADI-2 dac sounds clean, clear, punchy and with good detail retrieval however at the same time everything sounds too forward, compressed, one note and flat. It's like a flat wall of sound.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #6,028 of 6,066
I don't know how pro version stacks up to regular ADI2 dac but i've owned non pro version and I didn't like it. Don't get me wrong, overall as a complete package (dac, amp, eq) for the price it's truly great as I don't even know anything else with similar functionality.

However as a dac is meh. It's very clean and clear with good resolving ability and punchy sound but it leans a bit in to brighter and harsher sound. Not overly so but still. That's not his weakness though. The issue is that it sounds very forward and in your face. Soundstage is rendered extremely close to the listener and it's not especially wide and depth is quite poor. His greatness weakness is lack of microdynamics. Vocals for example sound very artificial almost like there is onlh 0 and 1 and nothing in between between different octaves. It sounds heavily compressed and one note without the fluidity.

All in all I would say that RME ADI-2 dac sounds clean, clear, punchy and with good detail retrieval however at the same time everything sounds too forward, compressed, one note and flat. It's like a flat wall of sound.
Thats was my opinion at the start, using linear power supply improved things significantly (becomes warmer sounding). It still retains that vividness but coupled with smoothness and warmth it comes across as super resolution which combined with the resolving nature of the KSE become something magical. But I agree that RME can sometimes still come across as too accurate and forgets to have fun, but I can’t say it sounds brighter anymore over say Mojo 2 or WM1AM2 if anything it’s warmer smoother and less fatiguing.

Aug 18, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #6,029 of 6,066
Mojo2 sounds fuller and has insanely dark background but I would say that it also can sound only a tad but too forward and a too technical for my taste. Mojo1 is much warmer than 2 but it is nowhere near as good technically and with much smaller soundstage. Mojo2 sits in between Mojo1 and Hugo2 which is very focused on technicalities.

I dont know WM1AM2 but I own older WM1A (stock firmware) and it's warmer and darker than mojo2 and way thicker than adi2. WM1A is not linear so in a way it can be both darker and brighter depending on the frequency range. It has incredible punch in the bass region and tactile subbas. Midrange is generally darker, smooth, fluid, sweeter, euphonic even but upper midrange where female vocala sit is much brighter. It also has very good extension up top but it's not especially clean or clear there. It has sparkle that adds spice and excitement. It's not extemely colored but definetely fits already in this category.

Aug 18, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #6,030 of 6,066
I do EQing by feeding digital signal from PA Tones android app to the "dac-amp" KSE1500.
2K and 6.3K are the bands center frequency (peaks).
PA tone helps detecting, adjusment and check very quick and simply.
From 10K it start to roll off. I dont know it is natural or just my hearing ability, so I crank up 8K range.
Highest tone I can hear is 17k (L ear) and 15k (R ear)

SmartSelect_20230818_201359_Gallery.jpg
SmartSelect_20230818_201351_Gallery.jpg
SmartSelect_20230818_201343_Gallery.jpg
SmartSelect_20230818_201332_Gallery.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back