Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Jul 10, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #3,016 of 6,065
I see.. thanks..

I tried a/b/c-ing with dx200, opus 2 and iphone 7+..

I think the opus 2 and kse 1500 doesn't get along because of the major clipping.. Most of my songs (flac/dsd file) got lots of clipping. yes so many reds in dac indicator.. I don't have real explanation to back it up but i think it's something to do with opus 2 output voltage is too high..

I tried ibasso dx 200 with kse 1500, everything play nice. less clipping.. Fuller bodied in terms of vocal, more musicality then the iphone 7+

now, I'm kinda in a dilemma:
- whether to sell my opus 2, change to ibasso dx 200. and get another pair of iem (dark/warm sound sig to compliment the kse 1500)
- or.. stick with iphone 7+ and mojo, sell my opus 2 and don't get anymore dap or iem

doesn't work with my ears as well

You have to set the input pad to -10db on the KSE1500 amp. Then the clipping stops.
It´s always good to read the manual first. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #3,020 of 6,065
already did.. -10db and the clipping still a lot..
This is with the Opus 2? I looked at the Opus 2 and it seems that it supports balanced out (with the 3.5mm SE meant to be for ground).

So does that mean that you're actually just using the Opus 2 3.5mm headphone out to the KSE1500 (i.e. double-amping)? If so what volume are you setting on the Opus 2?

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #3,021 of 6,065
This is with the Opus 2? I looked at the Opus 2 and it seems that it supports balanced out (with the 3.5mm SE meant to be for ground).

So does that mean that you're actually just using the Opus 2 3.5mm headphone out to the KSE1500 (i.e. double-amping)? If so what volume are you setting on the Opus 2?

Yes opus #2..

I'm just using m2m provided from the kse1500 to connect with the opus 2 3.5mm analog output. I'm using line out mode, so it's a fixed volume.
this setup was clipping a lot in -10db, especially in my playlist.

i thought it's because of my poor recording. Then i tried haiku suggestion to use -20db. No more clipping, but the volume is a little bit too low for me and the sound output is a bit dry.

now i'm thinking the problem is in gain control in opus 2 (i used high gain) and dsp mode is in 32 bit (x-mos) but i haven't try it..

any thoughts? am i doing anything wrong?

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #3,022 of 6,065
With the Opus, try to go down to low gain and play with the input pad settings of the KSE1500 again. Let me know if it works.

Jul 11, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #3,023 of 6,065
With the Opus, try to go down to low gain and play with the input pad settings of the KSE1500 again. Let me know if it works.

it works! thanks

The problem is the gain settings: on high, u will get a lot of clipping. however on middle gain, everything is smooth and no clipping..

so at the end, i end up with 0db to bump up the volume a bit and middle gain. no clipping. everything is smooth..

thanks..

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #3,024 of 6,065
it works! thanks

The problem is the gain settings: on high, u will get a lot of clipping. however on middle gain, everything is smooth and no clipping..

so at the end, i end up with 0db to bump up the volume a bit and middle gain. no clipping. everything is smooth..

thanks..

My pleasure! Enjoy! :beerchug:

Jul 16, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #3,025 of 6,065
Today at CanJam London, my "mission" was to try several IEM to find one that best match with my A&K SP1000 SS, and... at least as good as the SHURE but that will not need the Shure extra amplifier to carry around...

- The LCD-i4 surprisingly needed more power than the SP1000 can provide. It more power hungry than my "big" HE-X ! Volume was loud enough, but sound was "flat" out of the SP1000 (I could not try balanced since Audeze do not propose a balanced cable, which is STUPID). The LCD-i4 definitively need an external amp ! Powered by the HUGO 2 if became a totally different animal !

- Very very disapointed by the sound of the Empire Ears Zeus XR ! And I did not finded it confortable, with the adele option is it really BIG.

- 64 Audio U18 and Fourté were very pleasant, and confortable. U18 more accurate and Fourté, more... fun. But the fun of the fourte IMO is reached at the price of a lack of reality. They add something that is not in the recording... to please us :wink:

- the SHURE KSE 1500 electrostatic again was my final choice. They are as enjoyable as the fourte while being Faithful to the reality of the recording. No artificial input in the sound. My first reaction when I heard the SHURE out of my SP1000 was "HOW SWEET !" Finally my SP1000 has find his perfect match and is 100% musical. And then when I listened to the intro of Mahler 3rd symphony I was shocked by the extreme energy and Bass that this system can provide. It can be a Sweety or a Monster...depend of the music. Plus they are so small that they are super confortable. They fit 100% inside the ear.

AND SO....I BOUGHT TODAY ON THE SHOW A SHURE KSE1500 :ksc75smile:

Conclusion: I failed in my quest, It seems that this extra energizer box is the price to pay to get such a sweeeet, punchy and accurate sound ! :ksc75smile:

Jul 17, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #3,027 of 6,065

Conclusion: I failed in my quest, It seems that this extra energizer box is the price to pay to get such a sweeeet, punchy and accurate sound ! :ksc75smile:

Thank you so much for the mini TOTL shootout... the KSE sounds like serious poison despite having to carry around the amp.

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #3,028 of 6,065
If someone is interested, I did a little mod to my KSE1500 to adapt some larger ear tips that fit me better.

BM Tips2.jpg

I used to have some spare 3 flange ear tips that I really liked but... their internal diameter is bigger than the external diameter of the Shure tubes. So... I used some red adapters that I found one day shipped within a box of eartips.

BM Tips hole.jpg

I am very happy with the result: It is very confortable, Isolation is even better, and... the sound improved by the larger internal diameter of the end of the ear tips.

HERE IS WHAT I USED :

BM Tips1.jpg BM Tips adapters.jpg BM Tips5.jpg

HERE IS THE PROCESS :

BM Tips3.jpg BM Tips4.jpg

My 2 cents. Hope this help....

Attachments

• Tips.JPG
    Tips.JPG
    499.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6137.jpg
    IMG_6137.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #3,029 of 6,065
Welcome to the Club, but does the AK SP1000 make a difference in sound quality to the Shure KSE1500?

Today at CanJam London, my "mission" was to try several IEM to find one that best match with my A&K SP1000 SS, and... at least as good as the SHURE but that will not need the Shure extra

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #3,030 of 6,065
Welcome to the Club, but does the AK SP1000 make a difference in sound quality to the Shure KSE1500?
SP1000 and Shure are perfect match. The Shure may be one of the rare IEM capable of producing all the details that the SP1000 can provide. And despite all those details the combo remain very musical ! Quite an achievement !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back