Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Apr 2, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #1,966 of 6,085
That's a pretty decent stack. I'm still happy with the AK380 DAC line out straight into the KSE1500. I still love this earphone & is my fav so far. I've tried listening to the new Layla II & whilst it's an incremental improvement over its predcessor, the KSE1500 still pulls me into the music more. I'm surprised it doesn't get enough love as I that it would from the audience here.

Apr 2, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #1,967 of 6,085
I have tried, 

-AK240
-AK240+Mojo
-Ipod Touch 6th Gen + Mojo
-Iphone 6 +Mojo
-Sony ZX2
-Sony ZX2+Mojo
-Plus HUGO in all of these variations

I did not find the AK240 particularly syngerstic with the KSE like I did with the Noble K10 Custom running balanced cables.  With the mojo in the middle, things improved but that was a huge stack.  My friend Spook76 led me to the iPod touch 6th gen using the Onkyo player and mojo.  Much slimmer stack and definitely sounded mojo good.  It sounded so good, that I sold my AK240.  The phone was the same result as long as I put it in airplane mode.

2 days ago, I received the Sony ZX2.  The reported musical house sound of this device seemed like great synergy with the KSE with or without the mojo.  I have no idea if burn in is real or not, but the manufacturer had a 100+ hour burn in required page at initial boot up due to the Os-Caps and POSCAPs  used in the device.  This is the first time I have seen a splash screen like this on any device but the folks over at the ZX2 thread all seem to agree with Sony.  Whatever....I will just wait to draw any conclusions until after that mark.  I am about 1/2 way their.  I will say that I am initially very pleased.  The ability to use iTunes to manage lossless files, 30+ hour battery life and etc... are all pluses.  Also, the ZX2 makes for a nice tidy stack with the KSE Amp.  

Cheers.

Apr 2, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #1,969 of 6,085
Anyone did a comparison between the SR-009 and the new Hifiman electrostatic against this Shure?

I'm thinking about a SR-009 purchase but if the Shure IEM has the same electrostatic performance for only $3K, then I'll consider that.

Apr 2, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #1,970 of 6,085
Anyone did a comparison between the SR-009 and the new Hifiman electrostatic against this Shure?

I'm thinking about a SR-009 purchase but if the Shure IEM has the same electrostatic performance for only $3K, then I'll consider that.

I have both. Really not comparable. Note that although something like the SRM-727A could drive the SR-009, most opt for a 3rd party electrostat amp to drive the SR-009 - and by that point you're going way north of $3K.

If you're looking for electrostat SQ and portability isn't an issue, then take a look at the SR-L700 & something like the SRM-353X instead.

A note though, I don't think the KSE-1500 and the desktop Stax are mutually exclusive alternatives.

Apr 2, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #1,971 of 6,085
That's a pretty decent stack. I'm still happy with the AK380 DAC line out straight into the KSE1500. I still love this earphone & is my fav so far. I've tried listening to the new Layla II & whilst it's an incremental improvement over its predcessor, the KSE1500 still pulls me into the music more. I'm surprised it doesn't get enough love as I that it would from the audience here.

Amos,

I agree that it is surprising the limited interest in the KSE1500. I think it is driven by a number of factors not considering the cost.

One, a lot of us have been conditioned by colored headphones and IEMs and have forgotten what the music really sounds like and the rich neutrality does not have the immediate wow factor. More so than any other headphone I have owned or demoed, the KSE needs a serious listening session or two to appreciate it capabilities.

Two, the KSEs are, like all electrostats, a very unforgiving headphone/IEM. If the music or master is poor you will hear it. This point dovetails with my first point in that people sometimes use their gear to overcome the shortcomings of their music and the KSE will not allow that to occur.

Steve

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #1,972 of 6,085
I have both. Really not comparable. Note that although something like the SRM-727A could drive the SR-009, most opt for a 3rd party electrostat amp to drive the SR-009 - and by that point you're going way north of $3K.

If you're looking for electrostat SQ and portability isn't an issue, then take a look at the SR-L700 & something like the SRM-353X instead.

A note though, I don't think the KSE-1500 and the desktop Stax are mutually exclusive alternatives.
. Many people say the Kse1500 lacks low end. I have not noticed this on my brief audition, but have any of you felt it is lacking in that area?

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #1,973 of 6,085
. Many people say the Kse1500 lacks low end. I have not noticed this on my brief audition, but have any of you felt it is lacking in that area?

Who is this "many people"? Is this on a different thread? Myself and many others couldn't be clearer about the high quality and good quantity of bass on these headphones. And I come from the very well endowed 846s

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #1,974 of 6,085
Who is this "many people"? Is this on a different thread? Myself and many others couldn't be clearer about the high quality and good quantity of bass on these headphones. And I come from the very well endowed 846s
I am just asking, as I did not notice. Mostly people I talked to face to face.

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #1,975 of 6,085

Michael,

The KSE is certainly not bass light. Coming from the the SE846 I feel the KSEs are equal to the 846 in quantity but in an entirely different presentation. The 846 is a single, deep bass sound while the KSE is a layered bass sound. With the KSE I can clearly hear the bass drum and bass guitar separately. Also, quite a bit of my musical catalog is progressive metal like Opeth, Haken and later Porcupine Tree and I think the overall bass with KSE is more than enough.

Steve

p.s. Quoting Digitaltrends.com

"Shure’s [Sean] Sullivan told us a big reason for that warmth is a happy accident that occurred when the electrostatic components were folded into the KSE1500’s tiny chamber. The close quarters create a physics anomaly that allowed the engineers to coax a smoother, fuller sounding low frequency response. They were then able to tone down a bit of the snappiness up top, while still keeping the KSE1500’s clarity to expose the subtlest of details in the music."

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hands-on-shure-kse1500-electrostatic-sound-isolating-earphones/#ixzz44iR08wPB

Apr 2, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #1,976 of 6,085
Many people say the Kse1500 lacks low end. I have not noticed this on my brief audition, but have any of you felt it is lacking in that area?

I agree with all of the above posts. Since switching to Spinfit tips I no longer even use EQ to boost the low end. There's no need. I find the bass from my KSE1500 (fed from my QP1R) to be directly comparable to that from my SE846 with modded blue filters.

P.S. Props to spook on his excellent choice of source material! Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree sound awesome on the KSE1500. I would add Chris Squire (Yes) and Steve Babb (Glass Hammer) as some more excellent low-frequency listening :)

Apr 3, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #1,977 of 6,085
mmm......KSE could use more bass specially with contemporary music. I'm not a basshead, by any means, but having that extra bass, through EQ, use of foamies and a warm source (like the ZX2),   helps with enjoyment. But if bass is your priority, don't get the KSE. Get the Zeus or Layla or a hybrid ba/dynamic ciem/in-ear.

Apr 3, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #1,978 of 6,085
mmm......KSE could use more bass specially with contemporary music. I'm not a basshead, by any means, but having that extra bass, through EQ, use of foamies and a warm source (like the ZX2),   helps with enjoyment. But if bass is your priority, don't get the KSE. Get the Zeus or Layla or a hybrid ba/dynamic ciem/in-ear.
The bass boast really do work. I think we should not avoid using the internal pmeq.

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #1,979 of 6,085
Personally the bass quantity & quality is satisfactory for me. I feel the KSE1500 accurately represents the recordings. It's tight if what was recorded was tight, if there's decay in the recording, then the KSE1500 would represent that correctly too...similarly with the bass depth.

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #1,980 of 6,085
I am not enjoying my kse1500 as much as I like to, not that it sounds bad, by far it is far from it. I had a chance a while back to pair the kse1500 with a number of high end dac, pricing easily twice of what kse cost and ever since I just cannot enjoy the kse for what it has to offer as I know what it can get better, quiet better. It is not really a problem of the product my more so a problem of my audio-psyche, if i can call it that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back