Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Mar 27, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #1,951 of 6,085
Mar 27, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #1,952 of 6,085
Received my Spinfit silicon tips today and my expectation going in was nill as I have always been a Comply Foam guy.  These things are amazing, seal is just as good IMO, insertion and obtaining seal is much faster and easier as well.  

Plus so far they seem to be more comfortable.  Looks like I have found a winner, great $9 Amazon investment.  

I tried the spin fits when I first received the kse, but I kept going back to the Shore Olives. I usually prefer silicon tips too so I was surprised I didn't like the spin fits. I'll give them another try though

Mar 28, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #1,953 of 6,085
I tried the spin fits when I first received the kse, but I kept going back to the Shore Olives. I usually prefer silicon tips too so I was surprised I didn't like the spin fits. I'll give them another try though

I got the Spinfits, but although they are very comfortable and give a good seal, the bore of the exit opening is too large (much larger than any of the Shure tips) and perhaps for this reason they sound very odd to me.  If the opening were too small, perhaps one could have enlarged it, but I cannot think of a way to make it smaller. 

Mar 29, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #1,956 of 6,085

For the dumb and uneducated fools like me, can you explain what this is? :wink:

I should have clarified a bit more. If you read this review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/nuforce-primo-8/reviews/11187 by DsNuts, he explains a few paragraphs down how he used the smallest NuForce tip to enhance the sound and open up the nozzle in a way. He put the smallest NuForce tip on backwards, and then put a Large JVC Spiral dot over it. I have tried it on my NuForce HEM8, and the sound difference in incredible. Since the HEM8 and Shure KSE1500 have very similar nozzles, I used the same tip mod. The JVCs really made me love the Shure KSE even more. The only thing I just realized is that I used the NuForce small silicone tip on my Shure, and then put the Spiral Dot over it. When I tried it with the smallest Shure silicone tip, it didn't have the same impact because the Shure silicone tip openings are even more narrow than the NuForce. 

I tried again with Westone stock small tips, and they didn't work either. I'm in love with the sound of the NuForce small tip and JVC Spiral dot on my Shure KSE1500, and won't be taking them off. 

Mar 31, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #1,962 of 6,085
On the go mainly. Layla +AK is much more pricey and if the shure sound better, maybe it's best I go with them ?

On the go, I'd do Shure KSE1500 with the digital USB output from your smartphone. You get whatever music your phone can hold, plus you can subscribe to CD-quality TIDAL. Helluva lot of music at your fingertips. I have a hard time seeing the need for a DAP, especially if you have a phone that can hold a microSD card. 

Mar 31, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #1,963 of 6,085
How does the memory wire on the KSE1500 compare to the memory wire in the stock SE846 cable? I had the SE846's memory wire break after only a few months of use.

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #1,965 of 6,085
I have been enjoying the KSE1500 since its release and after some trial and error have ended up with the following:

I started with an Onkyo DP-X1 analog out directly to the KSE1500, but picked up a Chord Mojo after reading about it on this site for several months.  It did not disappoint, with stunning SQ pairing very well with the KSE1500.  USB from the Onkyo to the Mojo was problematic because the one port on the Onkyo could not be used for both charging and connection to the DAC, and because the Onkyo battery ran down quickly when USB connected to the Mojo.  An old AK240 and toslink cable solved both problems.

This brick is not particularly portable, but is easily transportable in the pictured padded case.   SQ is remarkable, and for me this is a real no-compromises portable setup.  Only Sensaphonics sleeves remain to be done.  It would be great to see what equipment other members of this forum are using with the KSE1500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back