Shuoer impressions thread
Dec 19, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #2,911 of 3,872

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-12-17 jaakkopasanen AutoEq.png
    Screenshot_2020-12-17 jaakkopasanen AutoEq.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #2,913 of 3,872
Could you try the eq with -8.2 preamp from autoeq?
I'm interested in your opinion after the eq
if you have parametric eq there is one for it too: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/crinacle/harman_in-ear_2019v2/Shuoer Tape Pro
Here is my preset I used.

low-shelf: 65hz, Q:0.6, gain: 4db
low-shelf: 180hz, Q:1.0, gain: -2db
peak eq: 2500hz, Q:2.5, gain -4db
peak eq: 3500hz, Q:2.5, gain -4db
peak eq: 5000hz, Q:2.0, gain 2.5db
high-shelf: 10 000hz, Q:1.0, gain 5db

preamp: -5db

And if you wanna know my ranking for the pro + EQ, it would be C- (from E at stock). Not something I would recommend either way at that price it goes for...

Dec 19, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #2,914 of 3,872
This is a subjective hobby and all, but to require that much eq just to make the tape pro an "average" IEM to you tells me that there must be some sort of unit variation. I can agree with some of the assessment if I'm being critical (bass bloat / flat sound / veiled highs) but the tuning sounded very tight to me. And I own a variety of sets in different price ranges so I don't think my sense of what is considered correct is completely flawed.

I hope someone can get to the bottom of this because it's very strange. The other thing I've noticed is that some of you guys (mainly in Singapore) have the ability to have multiple people sample the set. And oddly when multiple people gave listened to a single set, they all have the same opinion. Yet in this thread there are a number of people that really like the set or at least describe it as good but not great.

I would like to see a situation where multiple people listen to the same set and have actual varying opinions. Until that happens I'm going to go with the unit variation theory as that's the only thing that can explain the opinions being so polarized on this set.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #2,915 of 3,872
This is a subjective hobby and all, but to require that much eq just to make the tape pro an "average" IEM to you tells me that there must be some sort of unit variation. I can agree with some of the assessment if I'm being critical (bass bloat / flat sound / veiled highs) but the tuning sounded very tight to me. And I own a variety of sets in different price ranges so I don't think my sense of what is considered correct is completely flawed.

I hope someone can get to the bottom of this because it's very strange. The other thing I've noticed is that some of you guys (mainly in Singapore) have the ability to have multiple people sample the set. And oddly when multiple people gave listened to a single set, they all have the same opinion. Yet in this thread there are a number of people that really like the set or at least describe it as good but not great.

I would like to see a situation where multiple people listen to the same set and have actual varying opinions. Until that happens I'm going to go with the unit variation theory as that's the only thing that can explain the opinions being so polarized on this set.
Are you suggesting for a recall?

Dec 19, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #2,916 of 3,872
Are you suggesting for a recall?
not at all. i'm suggesting that the only explanation for such wildly different opinions (from one of the best sets in this budget to literally one of the worst) must have to be somewhat attributed to unit variation. I've never seen such polarizing opinions since the audiosense T800. And on that one most agreed that it had harsh treble peaks whereas with this one the complaints go as far as stating EVERYTHING is wrong.

Dec 19, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #2,917 of 3,872
not at all. i'm suggesting that the only explanation for such wildly different opinions (from one of the best sets in this budget to literally one of the worst) must have to be somewhat attributed to unit variation. I've never seen such polarizing opinions since the audiosense T800. And on that one most agreed that it had harsh treble peaks whereas with this one the complaints go as far as stating EVERYTHING is wrong.
While I dont know if antdroids unit is a review unit or not. Mine is and if my unit is a lemon...that doesnt inspire faith in their QC at all....

Dec 19, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #2,918 of 3,872

I don't use EQ on the Tape Pro, and it sounds just fine to me. might be not the best for everything (i prefer listening to electronic music with it), but also far from terrible. i just watched some reviews on YouTube on the Pro, and from a couple that i saw they share the similar view on the Pro, that it's basically an improvement to the original Tape by adressing the midtreble spike and lowered the bass a little.

Dec 19, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #2,920 of 3,872
That would explain a lot, if @antdroid STP was a review unit as well; then the disparity could be attributed to an early batch variance.
It took them like a month (after release) to send out my unit....

Dec 19, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #2,921 of 3,872
That would explain a lot, if @antdroid STP was a review unit as well; then the disparity could be attributed to an early batch variance.
My retail unit are excellent. They compare A/B'd with many good IEM's. Shame the QC is not good. Sounds like the YBF iss014 all over again.

Dec 19, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #2,923 of 3,872
:ksc75smile: You've been around long enough to know that Linsoul's distribution Dept.is staffed by howler monkeys. :ksc75smile:
yeah, they should change their name into linslow :joy:

Dec 19, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #2,924 of 3,872
I've verified my graph as well as @RikudouGoku's measurement was as expected from shuoer directly. They said the graphs look correct compared to their internal testing.

Some people prefer different sound signature and there's nothing wrong with that.

For reference, I plotted Shuoer Tape Pro in red. Harman IE 2019 target is gray. My own interpretation of neutral is in blue and my current preference target is in green (based on an average of my IEMs I own plus some tweaks).

As you can see the Tape Pro doesnt really align with what I prefer at all. That said, I still like IEMs that fall outside my preferences as well, but this one doesnt do it for me at the price they offer it at.

Shuoer Tape Pro vs Antdroid.png

In retrospect, I got the review unit from Linsoul at the same time I got the Tripowin TC01 which measures actually very similarly to the TP but with additional treble, and before I even measured it, I was enjoying the TC01 much more and thought it sounded quite nice, not even knowing it was only $50.

Shuoer TP vs Tripowin TC01.png

edit: fixed some grammar mistakes -- way too early in morning with no coffee yet :)

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #2,925 of 3,872
I've verified my graph as well as @RikudouGoku's measurement was as expected from shuoer directly. They said the graphs look correct compared to their internal testing.

Some people prefer different sound signature and there's nothing wrong with that.

For reference, I plotted Shuoer Tape Pro in red. Harman IE 2019 target is gray. My own interpretation of neutral is in blue and my current preference target is in green (based on an average of my IEMs I own plus some tweaks).

As you can see the Tape Pro doesnt really align with what I prefer at all. That said, I still like IEMs that fall outside my preferences as well, but this one doesnt do it for me at the price they offer it at.

Shuoer Tape Pro vs Antdroid.png

In retrospect, I got the review unit from Linsoul at the same time I got the Tripowin TC01 which measures actually very similarly to the TP but with additional treble, and before I even measured it, I was enjoying the TC01 much more and thought it sounded quite nice, not even knowing it was only $50.

Shuoer TP vs Tripowin TC01.png

edit: fixed some grammar mistakes -- way too early in morning with no coffee yet :)
Thanks for the comparison chart esp plotting of the Harman curve. I think this is probably the most logical explanation thus far, that the tuning this time round definitely different

Users who are viewing this thread

Back