Show us your vintage headphones!
Feb 23, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #679 of 3,125
Quote:

Yamaha's world premiere organ ortho. In my opinion their best-looking phones as well. Not worth some of the prices these days.

Damn, that's pretty.

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #680 of 3,125
Quote:

Yamaha's world premiere organ ortho. In my opinion their best-looking phones as well. Not worth some of the prices these days.

I guess Beats by Dre is suing Yamaha because the new Yamaha headphones look a little too much like the beats. A suit coming from a company that has produced headphones since 2008 against a company that's revolutionized headphones since the mid 70's is a little funny to me. And Yamaha probably gave these creamy headphones along with a pretty decent organ for a very good price, opposed to beats charging way too much for something that doesn't do anything better. Everytime I buy a Yamaha product I know I got every option available and even compared to any product costing twice as much. These are fabulous looking, maybe a different color though. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #683 of 3,125
Quote:
Dunno if this really counts, but my dad has had an original DT770 for 20-ish years now. I can post pics if you want but it's pretty straight forward :p

Fine by me, Beyer's older headphones are often different in appearance.

Additionally, I have an incredibly rare Sony DR-Z5 coming my way. Here's a teaser photo.

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #685 of 3,125
Quote:
Found at an estate sale for $8.

Wow, incredible luck. Bet you're really enjoying that old beast.

Am I the only one who thinks old Beyers are prettier than new?

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #686 of 3,125
Quote:
Wow, incredible luck. Bet you're really enjoying that old beast.

Yeah. The pads were absolutely done with. I restuffed them but I am still not 100% pleased. The velour pads from my 770 made it sound like garbage, so I am ordering some pleather replacements to try. I am contemplating going nuts on this set to make them something really special (to me).

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #687 of 3,125
Quote:

You're not alone. I think their utilitarian/minimalistic design is rather fetching. 
The modern ones seem to be more design lead, than function - and I think the silver pads and silver plastic on the new ones looks cheap and ugly.

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #688 of 3,125
Quote:
Quote:

You're not alone. I think their utilitarian/minimalistic design is rather fetching. 
The modern ones seem to be more design lead, than function - and I think the silver pads and silver plastic on the new ones looks cheap and ugly.

Definitely agree. The silver reminds me of cheap chinese merchandise.

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #689 of 3,125
My DR-Z5 arrived today!

Impressions... these headphones are absolutely incredible. The amount of technical precision that I'm hearing from these 35 year old cans is absolutely insane. They're heavy and tank-like despite their skeletal design, and are actually quite comfortable. They're very easy to drive but are very sensitive to poor sources. My laptop sounds incredibly bright and harsh. Out of proper equipment, they're almost perfectly neutral and the amount of refinement is simply unbelievable. These have more detail than my friend's RS2i and my SA3000 combined.

Better pictures will come tomorrow, but for now, check out these handsome beasts! 

I adore these. The fact that these are so old is incredible. Whatever happened to you, Sony? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back