Show us your vintage headphones!
Mar 12, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #706 of 3,137
Quote:
Quote:
Wow, excellent condition!

Either a LP or MP... not sure.

Yeah I've had them since new.  I think it was either 1978 or 1979.

That's likely mid production. Awesome.

I'll upload pictures of my Z5 when I get home. Can't do any photo editing at school, they deleted my copy of GIMP from the computers
mad.gif

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #707 of 3,137
Actually, since the headband doesn't have the holes, it's probably an LP.

I'm borrowing a DF and MP. I've been meaning to get a picture with them together.

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #709 of 3,137
Fair enough; I figured that since the person that posted it is the original owner the headband was always like that.

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #710 of 3,137
Finally finished editing the photo set.

They fold almost completely flat. They look quite fetching when worn around the neck.

Here's another angle, showing more of the headband. Very skeletal and utilitarian in design.

The earcups detach completely for storage. Very neat.

Simple yet elegant earcups.

I'm starting to believe these earpads are magical. They're extremely soft and supple, and look brand new. 

Last shot I took, and my favorite out of the set. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #713 of 3,137
Quote:
Finally finished editing the photo set.

They fold almost completely flat. They look quite fetching when worn around the neck.

Here's another angle, showing more of the headband. Very skeletal and utilitarian in design.

The earcups detach completely for storage. Very neat.

Simple yet elegant earcups.

I'm starting to believe these earpads are magical. They're extremely soft and supple, and look brand new. 

Last shot I took, and my favorite out of the set. 

Those look great.  How's the sound?

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #715 of 3,137
I seem to recall my ex brother-inlaw have a pair with holes in the headband.  His were a couples years older than mine.  It's been a lot of years but I could have sworn that was how they were.

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #716 of 3,137

Quote:
Did you buy those from the seller musicshen?

Maybe.

Quote:
Those look great.  How's the sound?

Absolutely incredible.

They're a neutral-bright; most of the FR is flat and the treble is emphasized. The bass and treble extend far, and the treble is some of the cleanest I've ever heard. Absolutely no splash, very tight and controlled. They're extremely fast, aggressive and detailed, moreso than any modern can I've heard. Perfect imaging and wonderful instrument separation, and a modest soundstage.

If I had to describe them relative to another headphone, they would probably be uber SA5000s. Same general character, but much smoother, no bass roll-off, and about 4x as refined. 

These are incredibly rare, they were only in production for two years. There were 3 headphones in this line, and the Z5 was the lowest-end of the three. If the Z5 can beat an SA5000, I shudder at the thought of what a Z7 sounds like.

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #719 of 3,137
I got some brand new looking AKG k240 600 ohm a month ago for $1.50 U.S. still in the box at a thrift store. Price tag said that the left side was out. I plugged them in and they worked perfect, the little gold adapter was the only thing malfunctioning. I think they stopped making those in 2002, but I don't know their exact age. I like them with my Musical Fidelity V-can because that amp has no limit and could power 3 of them 600 ohm studio cans. They are growing on me, sound wise, and I'm quickly becoming a fan of those bigger ohm oldies. My Sennheiser hd540 were my highest ohm cans until my k240s and sound amazing too for 300 ohm. I don't know their exact age but they don't make them any more. The companies are phasing out higher ohm stuff, which is a shame for those with them and know. Having something that can be turned up to higher levels is very nice for studio work. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #720 of 3,137
Quote:
Maybe.

Thought so, I was looking at it since late last year but decided not to buy it due to his habit of flipping (that's why he was banned here) and the supposedly damaged cable.

For some impressions, since I'am of the few people here who has heard all the 3 models, namely Z5, Z6 and Z7. They share one thing in common is their is a roll off present with the treble. Detail retrieval for these things are amazing for the size the heavy duty drivers are capable of but they don't offer the level of micro-detail and airy soundstage that of the SA5k or a modded S3k. The Z6 is balanced of the 3 and sounds about 2/3 of a CD17/2k. The Z7 is a more balanced Z5 with some of the roll off removed, but it is still present.

They are indeed rare, if they were still in production they would probably be the best portables to exist today. Prices for the Z5 is usually $35-80, Z6 is around $120-150 and Z7 can go up to $250 but mostly around $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back