Show us your vintage headphones!
Jan 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #661 of 3,123
Not mine but here's a picture of Charlie Sheen in the new movie "A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III" rocking the Pioneer Monitor 10's like a boss! 

Seems like director Roman Coppola (son of grandmaster Francis Ford) is a connoisseur of all things vintage... The movie also has fabulous old cars like a 40's Cadillac and a 60's Rolls-Royce, vintage cameras, fashion, a vacuum coffee pot and a bunch of other stuff I probably missed 
size]

zDTUGpxl.jpg
H65pLiAl.jpg

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #663 of 3,123
Quote:
Not mine but here's a picture of Charlie Sheen in the new movie "A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III" rocking the Pioneer Monitor 10's like a boss! 

Seems like director Roman Coppola (son of grandmaster Francis Ford) is a connoisseur of all things vintage... The movie also has fabulous old cars like a 40's Cadillac and a 60's Rolls-Royce, vintage cameras, fashion, a vacuum coffee pot and a bunch of other stuff I probably missed 
size]

zDTUGpxl.jpg
H65pLiAl.jpg

**** yeah.

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #664 of 3,123
Quote:
It says it's a 70mm driver, which is almost certainly a paper cone. 
The part that interests me the most is the way it talks about the felt damping of 3 out of 4 holes in the back of the driver. Sounds like they put some effort into it! Good find!

Thanks ! Is there any Improvement or Downside on Paper Cones compared to Mylar ones ? I've heard from some Technics Headphones that used Kevlar Membranes and all that :)

I probably have to revoke my previous "Are sounding Like" statement , so i've been running them with an Old Technics SU-V550 which is pretty good but as soon as i tryed them out with my Onkyo TX-SV9041 MKII the whole sound completely changed - the Highs Mids and Lows are now even more Open and Wide / Clear unsaturated sounding , nearly the exact opposite of the Technics SU-V550 (which is rather warm , flat and neutral sounding and also a bit broken i think, since the Loudness Button sometimes changes the L/R Signal 
confused.gif
)

Could it just be that these Headphones have to be Powered by a Good Headphone Amplifier to unleash their Full Potential?

And which HP-Amp would be good for them since they have an 8ohm Impedance ?

Also it would be interesting to see if theres any Modding possible hence the Plugged Felt Dampening , have to clean the L/R Balance Potis anyway :)

EDIT : 

Found some New Info on them.

http://wegavision.pytalhost.com/jvc77/jvc27.jpg

They were Called and sold as "JVC HP-20" in Germany. So the ones i got , are probably the Imported Original Models from Japan :) 

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #665 of 3,123
It's difficult to say which amp will sound good with what headphone, as mostly it's done on a case by case preference through experimentation.
Although because it's such a low impedance you won't necessarily need a dedicated headphone amp to drive it well. A speaker amp with a headphone-out should be more than enough, although finding one with a good headphone-out is the problem.

I had a similar problem when I had an 80's Harman Kardon amp which made all music through the headphone out sound dry and small, then I bought a small cheap 80's Fisher amp, and the headphone-out was crazy good by comparison. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #666 of 3,123
Quote:
Quote:
It says it's a 70mm driver, which is almost certainly a paper cone. 
The part that interests me the most is the way it talks about the felt damping of 3 out of 4 holes in the back of the driver. Sounds like they put some effort into it! Good find!

Thanks ! Is there any Improvement or Downside on Paper Cones compared to Mylar ones ? I've heard from some Technics Headphones that used Kevlar Membranes and all that :)

I probably have to revoke my previous "Are sounding Like" statement , so i've been running them with an Old Technics SU-V550 which is pretty good but as soon as i tryed them out with my Onkyo TX-SV9041 MKII the whole sound completely changed - the Highs Mids and Lows are now even more Open and Wide / Clear unsaturated sounding , nearly the exact opposite of the Technics SU-V550 (which is rather warm , flat and neutral sounding and also a bit broken i think, since the Loudness Button sometimes changes the L/R Signal 
confused.gif
)

Could it just be that these Headphones have to be Powered by a Good Headphone Amplifier to unleash their Full Potential?

And which HP-Amp would be good for them since they have an 8ohm Impedance ?

Also it would be interesting to see if theres any Modding possible hence the Plugged Felt Dampening , have to clean the L/R Balance Potis anyway :)

EDIT : 

Found some New Info on them.

http://wegavision.pytalhost.com/jvc77/jvc27.jpg

They were Called and sold as "JVC HP-20" in Germany. So the ones i got , are probably the Imported Original Models from Japan :) 

Don't expect to get much difference amp-wise with 8 ohms. I'd suggest you try using a good, simple headphone amp like an Objective 2, or a Schiit Magni. You only need an amp to be properly designed so it doesn't mess with the sound. The amps I mentioned are designed around that principle and are fairly low-cost. 8 ohms is a very low impedance that's rarely used in headphones anymore, making the possibility that you're underpowering them zero. Even 32 ohms is considered low.

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #667 of 3,123
Hi everybody,i know this might not be the right thread for this,so i apologize in advance. I have been searching for a vintage model of headphones for ages, i had them when i was a kid, they were my father´s, and altough i used them to listen music, i wrecked them in one point of my childhood. Unfortunately, only later i began appreciating vintage stuff, especially those headphones that had such a good and unique sound. So i searched for them almost like a decade now, because i don´t remember the manufacturer and the model, but i found this forum recently, so browsing it i stumbled upon a model that is very similar to the one i had. It´s the Sony DR-9
http://img1.mlstatic.com/auriculares-sony-dr-9-de-coleccion_MLA-O-2697439724_052012.jpg
I tried to upload a picture, but there is a problem wit the servers, so maybe later. Anyway, my headphones were VERY similar to this one, except they had three sliders instead of two, i believe it was volume, bass and treble, and i think the cans were a bit more rounded, but essentially, they resemble this model very much. I would appreciate if somebody could help me, because  finding these headphones turned almost into an obsession. 

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #668 of 3,123

Did found this kind of Alaric's phones a bit beaten up laying around at my workplace. Heard that bass is non existent in these, but am interested to get a test drive some day.

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #669 of 3,123
Quote:

Did found this kind of Alaric's phones a bit beaten up laying around at my workplace. Heard that bass is non existent in these, but am interested to get a test drive some day.

Those things are paper-thin. Looks like they're missing the back.

Feb 7, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #670 of 3,123
From my collection: Pickering OA-7Pioneer SE-700 Piezoelectric

Pickering OA-7 - selling -

Pioneer SE-700 Piezoelectric

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #672 of 3,123
I'm hoping you audio experts can help me  I.D. a set of headphones. The forum wont let me upload a picture for some reason, but i found a pair on EBAY.
The ones i have are the same but wired as a STEREO set, 1 plug not two.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Philips-Dual-Mono-Headphones-Old-and-Rare-/221176389855?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item337f23e0df

Thanks Dave

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #673 of 3,123
Swapped cables on my Reference One and 4AAA since the R1 no longer fits me and it had the better cable of the two.

Holy crap, the 4AAA's cable must be extremely ****ty (see below), because it sounds like a completely different headphone now. Its much clearer and smoother than it was before and has better extension in both directions. I loved the 4AAA before, but I had no clue this old beast was capable of sounding this good.

It also looks much nicer than that stretched out old thing. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner.
atsmile.gif

Also wow, 1000th post.

EDIT: I believe the problem with the old cable is that it's too long. It's literally double the length of this one, which would cause a much higher cable impedance; this was likely what was messing with the sound.

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #674 of 3,123
I took some photos a while ago of my vintage headphones. 
http://i.imgur.com/73fJ2yI.jpg
From left to right: Koss pro 4AA, Zenith 839-33, Stanton Dynaphase forty
Here's a pretty crappy picture I took of the Zenith box:
http://i.imgur.com/SNMXqdo.jpg
The Zenith's are absolutely huge. They're taller, but not wider than the Stantons, but they weigh MUCH more. The overall build quality on them seems far superior. The plastic feels sturdy, and the pleather on the cups and band is plush and comfortable. They insulate incredibly well, and I can't even hear my neighbors next room down from me who seem to get plastered drunk almost every day of the week. I haven't worn them in a while, but from what I remember the most notable characteristic of them was that they had a much better bass 
(by the way, how do I link images properly here? I'm new and haven't quite figured all of this out yet.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back