Show us your vintage headphones!
Jan 7, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #631 of 3,129
Quote:
So after lurking in this thread, anyone  feel like the "adventure" aspect of headphone design and function has gone out the window?

I agree with GREQ; no. Sooner or later there will be a headphone with more detail than the SR-Omega, or more euphony than an HE-90, using some crazy technology like nanotitanium diaphragms, 7N silver voice coils, unobtanium magnets, etc. 

Or perhaps an entirely new transducer type. Maybe some company will try a piezoelectric diaphragm. Maybe someone will manage an acoustic resonator. Who knows what could happen.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #633 of 3,129
Quote:
Quote:
 Maybe some company will try a piezoelectric diaphragm. 

That's already been done. The TakeT H2+, been out for quite a while now.

http://www.taket.jp/h2/h2.html

Derp? I mean another company. Pioneer did it in 1975 as well.

And the H2+ doesn't really count. The driver is an air-motion transformer (AMT). It only uses piezoelectricity to avoid needing heavy magnets (which would render the set unwearable due to its skeletal design). 

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #634 of 3,129
Quote:
Waiting for more info on that SS-100 I mentioned, which is actually in MINT CONDITION and comes with the original box. I'm gonna be paying quite a pretty penny for this one...

Legend tells of a guy (called wualta, actually) who paid a literal pretty penny for the SS-100 and walked away somewhat disappointed.

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #635 of 3,129
Quote:
Quote:
Waiting for more info on that SS-100 I mentioned, which is actually in MINT CONDITION and comes with the original box. I'm gonna be paying quite a pretty penny for this one...

Legend tells of a guy (called wualta, actually) who paid a literal pretty penny for the SS-100 and walked away somewhat disappointed.

He said that to me. 

Then refused to let me borrow it from him. We live in the same state and I was going to pay for the shipping back and forth. I was also gonna give him money for it while I was borrowing it.

Which is why I think he wasn't as disappointed as he let on. 

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #636 of 3,129
Quote:
Derp? I mean another company. Pioneer did it in 1975 as well.

And the H2+ doesn't really count. The driver is an air-motion transformer (AMT). It only uses piezoelectricity to avoid needing heavy magnets (which would render the set unwearable due to its skeletal design). 

You need to change your tone.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #637 of 3,129
Quote:
You need to change your tone.

I believe the "derp?" is referring to himself, not anyone else. I don't see any ill tones here.

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #644 of 3,129
My Watson Mod. 930 now has a SIBLING!
*FANFARE*  Introducing the Universum... err... SFI... uhm... there's absolutely no model number on this thing! 
redface.gif

So first thing you notice is the slight visual difference. Universum doesn't have 'HIFI-STEREOPHONE' written on the side, nor does it have a TONE control, only a large volume control.
The most important difference is that the Universum has a different venting scheme. Watson just has a line of grills, but the Universum has 4 circular ports and another set of grills slightly off to one side (see photo).
Also, an even more important difference is that the double foam layer you see IS STOCK - I didn't add that! 
This makes the two sound quite different (although they share the same driver and are also similar in many respects).

The Universum has far better bass response and extension, and the treble is more tame. This makes for a somewhat less 'detailed' sound, although the resolution is about the same. The bass is a little out of control at times on electronic tracks, but for an old SFI ortho it's rather good even by modern standards (compared to most consumer stuff up to $200). The mids are sometimes a little thin sounding, which combined with a medium width soundstage and slightly too much bass makes for a slightly more crowded sound, but it is still a very enjoyable 'dark' sound. 

Both of these models easily have the best 'crunch' I've heard from any headphone. It must be the combination of smallish drivers, smallish soundstage and ortho-awesomeness that makes these so much fun. Queen's 'We Will Rock You' just has the most engaging crunch and guitar solo tone. 

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #645 of 3,129
Quote:
My Watson Mod. 930 now has a SIBLING!
*FANFARE*  Introducing the Universum... err... SFI... uhm... there's absolutely no model number on this thing! 
redface.gif

So first thing you notice is the slight visual difference. Universum doesn't have 'HIFI-STEREOPHONE' written on the side, nor does it have a TONE control, only a large volume control.
The most important difference is that the Universum has a different venting scheme. Watson just has a line of grills, but the Universum has 4 circular ports and another set of grills slightly off to one side (see photo).
Also, an even more important difference is that the double foam layer you see IS STOCK - I didn't add that! 
This makes the two sound quite different (although they share the same driver and are also similar in many respects).

The Universum has far better bass response and extension, and the treble is more tame. This makes for a somewhat less 'detailed' sound, although the resolution is about the same. The bass is a little out of control at times on electronic tracks, but for an old SFI ortho it's rather good even by modern standards (compared to most consumer stuff up to $200). The mids are sometimes a little thin sounding, which combined with a medium width soundstage and slightly too much bass makes for a slightly more crowded sound, but it is still a very enjoyable 'dark' sound. 

Both of these models easily have the best 'crunch' I've heard from any headphone. It must be the combination of smallish drivers, smallish soundstage and ortho-awesomeness that makes these so much fun. Queen's 'We Will Rock You' just has the most engaging crunch and guitar solo tone. 

God, I wanna live in Germany, that's where all the awesome vintage cans are. 

My guess is you wanna keep both don't you xP

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back