Show us your vintage headphones!
Nov 28, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #603 of 3,130
^ everything about that picture says "right". Lamp, lighting, case, cans.
Great shot!!!!

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #604 of 3,130
^ I thought it was a modern headphone for a split second. Sony were WAY ahead of their time in styling that's for sure. 

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #606 of 3,130
FINALLY got good pictures of my 4AAAs.

Those bumps on the headband are little air-filled pockets. One of my favorite features of the headphone.

This shows the texture of the earcups.

No shoddy construction here. KOSS knew what they were doing.

I LOVE the KOSS logo on the plug. Nice little touch.

One of my favorite shots out of the whole set.

Since I fixed my SE-500s yesterday I took a couple pictures of them, too.

The metal grille on the earcup is truly beautiful.

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #607 of 3,130
Very snazzy pics Takato14!
Those air filled pockets must be quite comfortable; my cousin has a camera strap with the same features... thought of buying one as a suspension headband but it was too expensive haha.

And thinking back of your air filled vinyl earpads, looks like I've run into a flattened pair myself... then again this headphone itself is in pretty pitiable condition.
To worsen it, the baffle itself is the vinyl earpad.

Dec 6, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #608 of 3,130
Quote:
Very snazzy pics Takato14!
Those air filled pockets must be quite comfortable; my cousin has a camera strap with the same features... thought of buying one as a suspension headband but it was too expensive haha.

And thinking back of your air filled vinyl earpads, looks like I've run into a flattened pair myself... then again this headphone itself is in pretty pitiable condition.
To worsen it, the baffle itself is the vinyl earpad.

Yeah, they're comfy. The pads are hard when you first put them on but they soften up nicely, very comfy and isolate better than anything I've ever used. A bit heavy but you get used to it.

What headphone is it? Care to post a picture? 

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #609 of 3,130
This is a pretty interesting story.

A while ago I picked up a pair of Audatron SH-608R headphones off of eBay. These things (I've posted them here before):

They were a really obscure set, so I looked into them. Apparently, the trademark for the name 'Audatron' was applied for in 1979 by Jango Industries. Jango Industries is the founder of Wal-Mart. Yep. I bought a vintage Wal-Mart headphone.

At the time, I assumed that like most of Wal-Mart's... 'merchandise', these were ripped off from a name-brand headphone. But then, something I never expected happened: I actually FOUND the headphone they ripped off. The Numark HV-215V:

Even back then Walmart was pretty damn good at cloning things. 

Obviously the real thing is much prettier, but still.

The resemblance stops there though. They sound NOTHING alike. The stock Audatrons are very Beats-esque, with a stupidly overwhelming midbass hump, no highs, and an absolutely piercing upper mids spike. The Numarks however, are still bassy but are far more balanced overall, and actually have detail and soundstage. The decay is pretty fast, too, whereas the Audatrons are a splashy mess. The Numarks are VERY comfortable, light, and have supple velour pads. The Audatrons are lighter, have thin vinyl pads and clamp like a bitch. 

I thought finding these was pretty neat. And come on, they're gorgeous:

Please excuse the poor image quality, it's late and the lighting sucks right now. I'll bring better pictures at a later time.

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #610 of 3,130
Quote:

...Sony DR-Z6 -- 1978

Those are very good headphones and rare too the sound is pretty much like a full sized headphone, I know because I've owned the 3 rare trio's the Z5, Z6 and the Z7. All three headphones fetch for extremely high prices on ebay from the last time I saw it, a guy from Connecticut selling the Z5 which ended at an auction price of $189, the Z6 at $230 and the Z7 was at a eye gouging $500ish.

They are truly something rare to keep onto. I would seriously trade my LCD2's for a Z7 again and that's saying something about their sound and value.

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #611 of 3,130
Now that we are talking about vintage Sony's you've left me no choice but to post a few special incarnations I have from my headgear.

The Special Rare Trio (Would be the fantastic spastic 4 but my CD3k's are on loan atm, so yeah.

Group Shot 

More rarer than the CD1/2/3k's. To find a rare good condition first release version of the CD950's is like the average joe trying to persuade 500 of the hottest women to do it with him. These can be identified by a golden driver (Leeperry had one in his CD1k's few years back before he moved onto vintage Orthos). 

Still need to perform mod's such as re-leathering the headband and dual cable entry. No joke, a decent solid state amp that has a heavy or more prominent bass presentation sound sig will put these on par soundwise to a Lambda Pro which I also own but you all know what a Lambda Pro looks like. I've come to the theory that the Jap's favour a bright sound signature more so than what the German's favour a warmer sound signature for their head/audio gear.

Next up the CD950's younger brother, the CD850's, not are rare as the 950's can be found sometimes on ebay for fair prices but the condition is usually poor which is the usual symptoms of flaking headband/earpads. 

I had 3 CD850's at one stage, 1 was completely new I purchased for around $110 off ebay from a chap in New Zealand but I sold it for the same price later on as it became a surplus from my collection. The 2nd CD850 was demolished by my pug, even more of a shame I couldn't salvage the drivers or headband out of them, so I'm down to this which has a broken side housing where the head frame connects to, but I will probably epoxy the shape and remodel it or even pick up another CD850 for its shell.

The CD850 is very close sounding to the CD950, almost identical but I find the CD950 fairly finicky with amping and the CD850 is fairly more bass light, but they can have another +10db on bass equalisation without sounding distorted thanks to the large drivers.

Lastly and not the least, the CD580's, younger brother of the CD780/1400/2000 headframe type. Pretty rare to find as well, but when they do pop up on ebay they usually pop up with more than on sale.

I have another one of these that I've sanded down and modded, but have yet to reassemble it and spray paint it jet black or gloss black, still need some primer though as I want it to come out perfect. It takes single cable entry, but my other one is dual entry so it's good to have with certain mods for any comparison's to be made.

Here's a group shot from above:

Next up on my list: the R10's when I get enough money, a bass light and bass heavy version, but for now these 3 are a good start, 1/10th of my total headphone inventory.

PS sorry for pics taken off my phone. 
redface.gif

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #612 of 3,130
would anyone like to see my big bad stanton dynaphase sixty's
I have a set, semi restored to:) they make my akg sextett's sound crappy (post restored)
b4 I did anything to them the sextett were a bit better.

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #613 of 3,130
Quote:
would anyone like to see my big bad stanton dynaphase sixty's
I have a set, semi restored to:) they make my akg sextett's sound crappy (post restored)
b4 I did anything to them the sextett were a bit better.

Omg, yes post it. The Sixty is gorgeous. The sapphire blue of Stanton's old cans is really something to love...

Dec 8, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #615 of 3,130
Quote:

I think that's the first photo I've seen of the insides of that beast - good times.
Is the diaphragm basically just a big paper cone speaker, or is there more to it? From the photo it seems to have an unusual texture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back