Show us your vintage headphones!
Dec 8, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #616 of 3,128
Quote:
Quote:

I think that's the first photo I've seen of the insides of that beast - good times.
Is the diaphragm basically just a big paper cone speaker, or is there more to it? From the photo it seems to have an unusual texture.

It's a two-way. The paper cone takes care of the low end, the mylar tweeter (under the cone) takes care of the treble. They're bright, but have infinite capacity for bass. Take an EQ to those and you can melt your brain if you so desire.

They also have infinite capacity for volume. They really are... something. 

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #618 of 3,128
These pictures didn't turn out so great, but still far better than what I had.

Nice soft velour pads :3

I LOVE the last shot though.

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #620 of 3,128
Bump for more cans!

Might score an SS-100 soon. BIG maybe though, don't count on it.

Dec 22, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #621 of 3,128
Quote:
Bump for more cans!

Might score an SS-100 soon. BIG maybe though, don't count on it.

Will be expecting loooots of pics if that happens :wink:

Oh and since my previous post... I finally managed to pull them apart but forgot to take pictures so now they're kinda in pieces :S
Will see if I can get some pictures in once I finish refurbishing them. They will look... awfully different from stock most likely.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #622 of 3,128
Hey I've been lurking on this forum for quite a while now, and only just now decided to make an account.
I know a lot of people have already posted Koss Pro 4AA's here, but I kind of wanted to show off mine which I got for 15 dollars at a thrift store:
http://i.imgur.com/SD8C3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yRkqQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/b6Hh1.jpg
(sorry for the poor lighting, but the lights in my house are extremely dim)
Too bad I couldn't have gotten the 4AAA's. Those look so much more comfortable.
I also have an old pair of enormous Zenith headphones from about the same time period that my brother got at the local flea for 20 dollars in box. I can post pictures later.

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #625 of 3,128
Quote:
Hey I've been lurking on this forum for quite a while now, and only just now decided to make an account.
I know a lot of people have already posted Koss Pro 4AA's here, but I kind of wanted to show off mine which I got for 15 dollars at a thrift store:

(sorry for the poor lighting, but the lights in my house are extremely dim)
Too bad I couldn't have gotten the 4AAA's. Those look so much more comfortable.
I also have an old pair of enormous Zenith headphones from about the same time period that my brother got at the local flea for 20 dollars in box. I can post pictures later.

Fixed your pictures for 'ya. I'd like to see those Zeniths you're talking about.

The 4AAA isn't excessively comfortable but it is more comfy, and it isolates better. It also has a more even sound signature. It's a great headphone (and gorgeous imo) that deserves a lot more attention than it gets. It's pretty much the only vintage headphone I've heard that actually has a decent amount of detail.

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #627 of 3,128
So after lurking in this thread, anyone  feel like the "adventure" aspect of headphone design and function has gone out the window?

Dec 29, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #628 of 3,128
Quote:
So after lurking in this thread, anyone  feel like the "adventure" aspect of headphone design and function has gone out the window?

Considering a successful revival and explosion of orthodynamics in the past few years, I'd say no.
The aspect of venturing into the unknown is certainly on the decline if not dead, but venturing to and beyond the limits of technology is what's happening now. 

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #629 of 3,128
Small sound stage, Ha Ha ha Ha those Superex1968 ST-PRO B have an huge sound stage unless the foam in the ear cups has rotted away leaving the bowls close to your ears, they are well known for having a very expancive  sound stage.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #630 of 3,128
Waiting for more info on that SS-100 I mentioned, which is actually in MINT CONDITION and comes with the original box. I'm gonna be paying quite a pretty penny for this one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back