Show us your vintage headphones!
Jul 23, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #2,371 of 3,125
Kenwood KH-71, these are about as cool as headphones get, the aesthetics are undeniably perfect. I put on these bad boys and people can't stop looking at me, they are irresistible :joy:
Here's a little additional info I found, they are apparently an exclusive "open-backed" system, never heard of that before, so fancy. http://www.preservationsound.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Headphones.pdf

I put some zmf oval pads on them, the stock pads were flat and terribly uncomfortable, so my descriptions may not be too accurate. They actually sound pretty good for the $100 I got them for, dark in the treble, and have an impressive amount of bass. They extend down to about ~50hz and then roll off pretty quick. The imaging isn't bad at all, and the soundstage is average but the cups do something odd that I can't quite describe. With bass heavy stuff like organs they sound very thick and powerful, maybe due to cub reverberation.
0ROsxt5.jpg

d3L7XdY.jpg

0ROsxt5

d3L7XdY

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #2,377 of 3,125
Believe it or not, I have actually read the entire thread :)

I present to you today a nice vintage headphone, Grundig GDHS-223, orthodynamic. Likely a clone of Fostex T20 V2.

Very comfy with the stock pads, but does not seem to seal very well.

Very nice mids, listening to the Francis Albert Sinatra & Antônio Carlos Jobim album they are perfect. Highs are not very present, I guess you can describe them as a bit dark, but I like them this way. Bass is boomy and uncontrolled. I think I'll mod them to get that to sound better.

Excuse the photo quality, lighting was bad at the time I took them.

1.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #2,378 of 3,125
The headphones world is a realy interesting thing.
Grundig GDHS-223, looks realy great.
I had a chance to get one long time ago, but miss it.
Realy looks nice.
I planning to get one pair of Planar/isodynamic in the future but with bigger membrane (maybe not a vintage one).

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #2,379 of 3,125
They are indeed quite well preserved. And for $35 they were quite cheap. I guess the guy was not aware what he was selling :)

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #2,380 of 3,125
Here are two vintage headphones and vintage Stax that I acquired for my collection. I am in love!

I had that K240 made in Austria from '81-'14. The headband and one clamp for the ear piece was toasty so I tossed them. Never crazy about them, but the treble was super for tonearm VTA adjustments, very reactive. Thanks for the pics.

Aug 1, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #2,381 of 3,125
Vintage Grundig 211B. An interesting headphone, 400 ohm, quite small driver (22.5 mm), can get very loud with good amplification.
full.jpg

Interesting construction on the cups, a hard rubber with no damping at all.
empty cup.jpg

Great mids and highs, almost non existing bass.

I am trying to mod them to get more bass out of them, posted a separate thread on this:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/my-quest-to-mod-grundig-211b-headphones.912138/

From what I could gather, these are made by MB, being almost the same as MB Electronic K 61.

Cheers,
Sorin

Aug 1, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #2,382 of 3,125
20-17000 Hz

0.83" driver,

I still have to read
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/grundig-211a-s-any-info-what-are-these-pics-added.542934/

Cant read this languige http://www.hifi-archiv.info/Grundig/grundig70-1/grundig45.jpg
http://www.hifi-archiv.info/Grundig/1973-11/18.jpg

Try to replace the pads as you planned to some stiff one
You need some better amp
Take attentition to this solder thats hold some inside connector too.
Not suggest to remove this screw and the board
pfC9Gtc.jpg

magnets can help to the vintage old magnets but could destroy the week glue joints (after 30+ years).

Before adding a magnet use this tool to check the polarity
s-l1600.jpg

Cant suggest you, I done lots of damage to many good headphones. so If I suggest something, dont hear me =D
I have lots of crazy suggestions D=

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #2,384 of 3,125
Thanks for your suggestions, legopart.

I already have decent amplification: A vintage aiwa amplifier, a chinese JLH clone and a cmoy amplifier tied to a TDA1543*4 DAC I use with the laptop. Planning to get some more amplification, of course :)

I also already changed the earpads, they seal perfectly now.

Are you suggesting the driver is under the pcb and screw there? It looked to me like the entire assembly there might be the driver. I'll have to further investigate. Hopefully in a non destructive way :) . If I break it, I'll move to working on the Grundig 220, its bigger sibling. Supposed to be a better headphone, but I don't like it as much in stock format.

Unfortunately, I can't read german either, but I put the images into https://www.imagetranslate.com/ . First page is not interesting at all, just some blurb about the performance and definitions. Here it is:

Music Performance can be taken for a short time and is available for short, sharp impulses, such as those produced by piano strokes, trumpet sounds, timpani sounds, drums, and so on. Since music largely consists of such pulse-shaped signals, music performance is of particular importance. Music performance may not be specified arbitrarily high, but is limited to DIN by the nominal distortion factor. GRUNDIG adheres to this definition for all details of the music performance

Nominal output power (sine wave power) This must be able to output the amplifier for a long time without harmful warming, if it is driven with a sine signal. Without specifying any distortions, the rated power is worthless and not comparable. Therefore, do not be impressed by such incomplete information.

Impedance is the AC resistance that results from the combination of resistance, capacitance and inductance. The impedance is therefore preferably specified because in the wiring of the inputs and outputs of electro-acoustic devices not only the DC resistance (resistance), but also the components capacity and inductance of influence are.

Intermodulation is a measure of the generation of unwanted sum and difference tones that can occur when two or more tones are played simultaneously.

Distortion factor is given as a percentage. It is the geometric sum of all the harmonics of the input signal in the amplifier in relation to the output signal.

Power bandwidth is the frequency range at which the nominal power has fallen to half. The harmonic distortion must not exceed 1%. Because the power bandwidth indicates the behavior of the amplifier at the boundaries of the transmission range, this is a particular criterion.

The other page is about other headphones, not this one, namely 212, 215 and 220.

Aug 2, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #2,385 of 3,125

Users who are viewing this thread

Back