Show us your vintage headphones!
May 31, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #2,342 of 3,139
I think those were Sr-3 not sr-5, but I could definitely be mistaken.
I think that better to order some electrostatic over electret and some newer model then the one that based on Sr-3 Sr-5 and Sr-X
It cost more, but it offers more.

Realistic realy looks good.
I really think that Stax lambda is better sollotion.
Still want to get some planar in the futur

Jun 2, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #2,343 of 3,139
@legopart

Hi! I just got something else too. Some Stax SR-40s! Along with a SRD-4 Energizer!

Now my question is, how do I hook up the Unipolars to the SRD-4? I'm so excited!

IMG_20190602_121931.jpg

IMG_20190602_122008.jpg

I took picture of both for reference.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #2,346 of 3,139
Beyerdynamic DT 770 - 600 ohm [late 1980's?]

In the past Ive owned and had a lot of respect for the vintage versions of Beyerdynamic DT 880 & DT 990. Ive long wondered how the closed back vintage DT 770 would sound. Two years later off patient searching and finally one arrived today. It was a bit of a gamble as the modern DT 770 has a profound sense of nothing special !

I have to say the gamble payed off...big time - Holy Moly these headphones are stunning - I have temporary AKG leather pads on them for now.
First impressions were details, incredible details. Listening to Nick Drake I can hear the out breaths with each line sung...a detail Ive never heard before.
The soundstage and space is incredible - Listening to Toccata & Fugue from Bach I felt the immense space of the cathedral - a sense of space I would only expect from open back.
The low end is not emphasised at all. At first I thought maybe there was not enough but now i think the headphone is wonderfully neutral.
Interestingly, It strikes me at how much difference in level and quality of the bass you can get by even gently pushing the pads closer to the head
Very difficult to get the headphones off the head once you start listening!
Sometimes the treble can nudge a bit too close to being too detailed / sharp but its a trade off that Im more than happy to live with.
Anyway - superb sounding detail, mids and balance make these a must have headphone...if you can find one

dt770-1980.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #2,347 of 3,139

In the past Ive owned and had a lot of respect for the vintage versions of Beyerdynamic DT 880 & DT 990. Ive long wondered how the closed back vintage DT 770 would sound. Two years later off patient searching and finally one arrived today. It was a bit of a gamble as the modern DT 770 has a profound sense of nothing special !

I have to say the gamble payed off...big time - Holy Moly these headphones are stunning - I have temporary AKG leather pads on them for now.
First impressions were details, incredible details. Listening to Nick Drake I can hear the out breaths with each line sung...a detail Ive never heard before.
The soundstage and space is incredible - Listening to Toccata & Fugue from Bach I felt the immense space of the cathedral - a sense of space I would only expect from open back.
The low end is not emphasised at all. At first I thought maybe there was not enough but now i think the headphone is wonderfully neutral.
Interestingly, It strikes me at how much difference in level and quality of the bass you can get by even gently pushing the pads closer to the head
Sometimes the treble can nudge a bit too close to being too detailed / sharp but its a trade off that Im more than happy to live with.
Anyway - superb sounding detail, mids and balance make these a must have headphone...if you can find one

Honestly half the time in my experience the vintage Beyers are a bit better than the new ones. I've found the older Beyers tend to be a bit more euphoric and musical, I feel similar about vintage Sennheisers as well. Always wanted a vintage DT 770, DT 880, or DT 990. So the old DT 770 is better than the new one, not really surprised honestly. Speaking of vintage Beyers, I haven't found anything to dethrone my modded DT 480, with a bit of modding and pad rolling that headphone is just phenomenal.

Jun 15, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #2,348 of 3,139

DT770 DT880 DT990 VINTAGE, any of them with 600ohm driver
and the same weak headband
same from 80s +-
with doal sided structure.
9362664.jpg

IMG_5403.JPG

IwMUocf.jpg

and they really hard to find in fair price (compare the new one).

I got a pair of DT990 vintage drivers and instal them inside my Dt880 premium 2005 edition.
They not better from my 250ohm original one but still almoust good as them.

DT480 having the same driver structure as DT48 but build as DT100 / DT150, really interesting building.

Jun 15, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #2,349 of 3,139
DT770 DT880 DT990 VINTAGE, any of them with 600ohm driver
and the same weak headband
same from 80s +-
with doal sided structure.
9362664.jpg

IMG_5403.JPG

IwMUocf.jpg

and they really hard to find in fair price (compare the new one).

I got a pair of DT990 vintage drivers and instal them inside my Dt880 premium 2005 edition.
They not better from my 250ohm original one but still almoust good as them.

DT480 having the same driver structure as DT48 but build as DT100 / DT150, really interesting building.

Yeah and the DT 480 doesn't have the rear of the driver sealed like on the DT 48 and it's front baffle and holes are a bit different as well. I don't do too much inside except experimenting with placement of sorbothane(really helps with the bass, alters soundstage, and overall control of the sound). I also adjust the magnet as it's threaded and can be adjusted or removed, one to make sure the drivers are balanced and adjusted equally and two for tuning; screwed in too tightly it gains a lot of tightness but can have too much glare and not enough bass presence, too loose and it's a bit too diffused sounding and can lose focus and control. Basically just use a needle-nose pliers to unscrew it, this gives the headphone near limitless tuning ability. Generally mark it before doing anything and make a mental note if you remove the magnet(which there is no real need to) how far to screw it before it gets tight. The pads and dampening in front of the driver and baffle is where I do most of the FR response tuning.

59CC7B92-E5BF-41E6-AB37-CC9D0CE3123D.jpeg
10803222-8A61-4201-96FF-8C5E50B6ABA8.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #2,350 of 3,139
Yeah and the DT 480 doesn't have the rear of the driver sealed like on the DT 48 and it's front baffle and holes are a bit different as well. I don't do too much inside except experimenting with placement of sorbothane(really helps with the bass and overall control of the sound). I also adjust the magnet as it's threaded and can be adjusted or removed, one to make sure the drivers are balanced and adjusted equally and two for tuning, screwed in too tightly it gains a lot of tightness but can have too much glare and not enough bass presence, too loose and it's a bit too diffused sounding and can lose focus and control. Basically just use a needle-nose pliers to unscrew it, this gives the headphone near limitless tuning ability. Generally mark it before doing anything and make a mental note if you remove the magnet(which there is no real need to) how far to screw it before it gets tight. The pads and dampening in front of the driver and baffle is where I do most of the FR response tuning.

Scary processing.

Jul 1, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #2,353 of 3,139
Hi I got some problems with some vintage headphones cables,
they got corroded from the inside.
the white mesh string/s the moved all along the cable and brought the cable it flexebility
turn to green and feels wet a bit.
the cable itself loss it color a bit, and covered by kind of black cover, but it still condactive.

Can it damage the sound quality ?
lcPjx5G.jpg

oWgCq9E.jpg

Same thing happend with Beyerdynamic T1.1 used headphones that I desided to remove it cable to removable connection,
with Beyerdynamic Et1000 (on the pictore) first discovered after resoldering the connections.
with broken Stax Lambda Normal biased cable, first time uncover it ends to use it on (Et1000) and discover the same problem
bout some cable the same as T1.1 "Sommer 200-0551 Peacock Dual Balanced Cable Black"
but still prefer to use the 6pin stax cable for Et1000 (with the corrosion)

Sorry for showing somehow dissrespect to vintage items.
I moded my Et1000, use the old back side with DT880pro cans+headband and edt770 pads.
Used the Stax Normal cable that I mention before :frowning2:
just want to share
t3nFg02.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #2,354 of 3,139
Hi I got some problems with some vintage headphones cables,
they got corroded from the inside.
the white mesh string/s the moved all along the cable and brought the cable it flexebility
turn to green and feels wet a bit.
the cable itself loss it color a bit, and covered by kind of black cover, but it still condactive.

Can it damage the sound quality ?
lcPjx5G.jpg

oWgCq9E.jpg

Same thing happend with Beyerdynamic T1.1 used headphones that I desided to remove it cable to removable connection,
with Beyerdynamic Et1000 (on the pictore) first discovered after resoldering the connections.
with broken Stax Lambda Normal biased cable, first time uncover it ends to use it on (Et1000) and discover the same problem
bout some cable the same as T1.1 "Sommer 200-0551 Peacock Dual Balanced Cable Black"
but still prefer to use the 6pin stax cable for Et1000 (with the corrosion)

Sorry for showing somehow dissrespect to vintage items.
I moded my Et1000, use the old back side with DT880pro cans+headband and edt770 pads.
Used the Stax Normal cable that I mention before :frowning2:
just want to share
t3nFg02.jpg

Looks great!

Not sure if you remembered but I asked about making an adapter cable on the DIY cable thread. I was able to make one and test it on a SRD6/SB that a buddy loaned me, but I seem to be getting very bad bass distortion and cannot listen to them at a decent volume. I believe it may be because of the difference in voltage bias.

I'd like to ask if you have the N1000 energizer unit that if it can be loaned to me. I'd like to hear how they should sound like for once. Of course if not, that's totally ok. Just let me know.

ET1000 6.jpg ET1000 7.jpg

I'm not sure if anyone else is interested but I do have measurements on these:

Beyerdynamic ET1000.png ET1000 vs HD600.png

Measured on MiniDSP EARS with default headphone compensation.

I used Dekoni AD elite velour earpads. I don't have the stock pads. I got the earpad adapters 3D printed from the same guy who lent me his SRD6/SB.

The midrange is lovely on these. I think it's a pretty natural sounding response whereas I would think the HD600 is too forward in the upper midrange (I say would think because it's been a long, long time since I last listened to one). Roll-off in the bass may be due to lack of a perfect seal. I'll have to play around with that when I can since I've already returned the SRD6/SB energizer. That said, the bass sounds very off on this energizer. Treble is a bit hot but I have a few ideas on how to remedy that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back