GRUNDIG 211A 's. Any info?What are these? Pics Added
Mar 5, 2011 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nick n

Headphoneus Supremus
I'll get some pictures up later today, but can someone please enlighten me on what looks to be a vintage set of Grundig  211 A headphones...
Wondering what their construction is, sound quality, rarity, what year roughly, etc etc. These are in amazing shape and they have the ribbed cords from each side that are terminated in strange plugs consisting of a flat terminal with a small pin terminal right next to it on the round coupling ends. The connectors look like tiny police radar guns.  I'm wanting to find out the information first then if they are any good I will spill the beans how much they cost me, and you can tell me if it was worth it...

I would prefer not to modify the connectors but rather wait to get the proper amp they fit, in an ideal world of course.
Pictures to follow.

Once again this site may prove invaluable, as I can find absolutely nothing for information on websearches ( so far ).

Appreciated.
Nick

Mar 5, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 8
http://grundig.pytalhost.com/grundig70-1/grundig45.jpg

they are the top ones, but I can't decipher the text
frown.gif
I knew i should have taken German when I had the time.... There has to be someone in here that does .

Thanks for the direction!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 5, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
http://grundig.pytalhost.com/grundig70/grundig70-43.jpg

they are the top ones, but those pictured are the "B" model. Mine ( "A" ) have no top pads or any sign they were ever there, unless they totally came off. I can't read the text
frown.gif
I knew i should have taken German when I had the time.... There has to be someone in here that does .

Thanks for the direction

My link was actually to the "a" model though....

Mar 5, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 8

http://wegavision.pytalhost.com/

"... My link was actually to the "a" model though...."
great site!

yeah sorry I just saw that I goofed in my last post and have edited it  with the exact ones I have that are pictured on that site. I see the specs now at the bottom right of your link.
Still have no clue about their construction or ends and how or what they connect to.

These plugs have the female version on their backends as well so you can chain them together. Unsure why. For single R/L channel? Combine multiple sets? AHHH I see the specs in DefectiveAudioComponent's link says mono and stereo "Betrieb parallel geschaltet werden"... which means nothing to me hahah

Headband is still extremely tensile and shows no cracking

Side profile ( obviously ) The pads may need a bit of re-stuffing in a small spot but it seems due to the tension on the headband that seems to press them together when not on a stand. The foam inside probably needs replacing after all this time.
[EDIT] I just noticed that there is NO foam at all inside the earpads. Someone must have beat me to it which explains why they are lacking. If these ever get hooked up I'll replace it[EDIT OUT]

No rips, tears or cracks. Fabric inside has no tears or signs of extreme wear. Backsides of earpieces have no venting anywhere. Model number and "MADE IN GERMANY" in raised lettering on sides. ( not China????
dt880smile.png
)

I am increasingly curious about adapters or what amps this connector style might fit.

[EDIT] I may have figured out the connector end issue, (LINK BELOW ) but still need further on their construction. I bet after all this searching they stink for sound quality. Wouldn't that be perfect...
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/543120/i-d-these-connectors-help-with-adaptors-or

Mar 7, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 8
excited and shameless thread bump.
I got these fired up with temporary RCA ends as explained in the other linked thread ( Cables section of forum ), and without replacing the missing (?)foam inside the earpad cores.....so far these are most excellent, to quote Bill and Ted. Also comfortable. I am absolutely shocked. I guess whoever didn't want them really didn't know much about electronics and was confused about the connections like I was ( still haven't said how much I paid
rolleyes.gif
) I'll post an update after remodding their cables and getting a decent volume going.
Trying out some higher quality files at the moment.  Don't want to give my opinions now  as it may be influenced by the Copper Moon Shiraz. What a score these are.
Clear as a frigid frosty morning. ( does that even make sense hahaha ) I'll only be able to compare these to my AKG k240M's ( 600 ohm older version ) and I'll make sure I do a direct swap at the same sections of various music.  These also surround my entire ear like the AKG's which is nice. Maybe a bit less bass and slightly a bit more highs but hard to tell until they are set up properly. I had my hearing tested again the other day ( professionally ) at work and I was apparently near perfect for my age still  ( 38 solar cycles ). For what it's worth.
 wow these are nice... they are giving me goosebumps. Their looks deceive themselves but the 70's can be blamed for that.

====> Is this a sign or what : just heard on the mix-tune I am hitting up now ".... it is the quality of sound reproduction that gives the user fulfillment..." Talk about synchronicity.

Mar 7, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 8
As you maybe already noticed these appear already in the '68 catalog ( http://grundig.pytalhost.com/grundig68-1/035.jpg ). And, as you might also have realized, the connectors are for speaker taps. (I have a reciever with those same speaker connectors ). So it is supposed to be connected to a speaker amplifier.

Now, do they have any low reaching bass at all? (with repaired pads that is...)

Mar 7, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #8 of 8
wow thanks for that I didn't notice that at all. I assumed they were only 1970.
The bass is there but I need to re-stuff the earpads they are completely empty of filling. So far there is not extremely low reaching bass and I like how you described that, but as far as I can tell it's not lacking and seems tolerable. In other words I can notice it without having to pretend I do. Some of the highs are right out "front" but only on some tracks I have explored so far, which may be the fault of the recording itself. I guess I could say they the bass is noticably present but maybe "recessed a tiny bit" but not waayyy back, to borrow from what I have understood so far from this forum browsing. Or at least maybe the highs are "more forward".The bass could be a little fuller/more forward, and maybe it is a fault of the current setup, unstuffed earpads, and connections I have going now... ( all this subjective audio-speak is new to me haha ) I'd really like to get em set up properly so I can do a direct comparison and give them some time. There's lots of separation and clarity anyhow.

I should add that so far I don't use anything for an equalizer and probably never will. I just play things as they are recorded.
 I just did a direct swap ( within 2 seconds )with the AKG and I need to get a better seal on these. That's what I noticed right away but they had a similar signature in the particular part of the track I was listening to. It could be the wine, most likely.

"with repaired pads that is..."

I'll stop and grab some memory foam somewhere ( hopefully ) on my way home tomorrow.

I'll shut up for now .
tongue_smile.gif

[EDIT] I just realized these have been on my head for close to 3 hours and I didn't notice that...I think that must be a good sign. Man what clarity.

Still after some German translation or at least some idea of their construction and attributes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back