Show us your vintage headphones!
Apr 23, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #1,097 of 3,139
Here's some (long overdue) pictures of my Pioneer Monitor 10-II:

Don't be fooled, the yoke and headband pieces are still plastic, they're just incredibly well-chromed. Most people are convinced they're metal, but they're not.

Very precisely machined champagne aluminum cups.

One of the coolest adjustments I've ever seen; self-locking and very sturdy.

Plastic cups, angled transducers, pleather pads.

Pivotal cable strain relief, just like the 10-I.

The driver and acoustic lens; looks remarkably similar to the AKG K/Q701...

Folded flat (you're not normally supposed to be able to do this but unfortunately my pair isn't in the greatest condition)

This headband is very clever, you can't see it unless the headphones are on but...

...it has dual inner headbands, making this the only dual-suspension banded headphone in existence.

These are literally the best-wearing headphones I've ever seen, they're SO pretty. 

Cheers!

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #1,098 of 3,139

Ross RE-257 custom-damped with TDS-5 ortho drivers inside. Actually a really beautiful shell and I'm glad that I decided to pick them up.

Recabled and custom-damped Elektronica TDS-5M ortho. The clear rubber things have L and R written on them. Padless and awaiting for ESW9 pads as well as further retuning if required.

Yamaha HP-3. A relatively bass-light version, even with damping mods. I'm considering a housing swap for funzies.

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #1,100 of 3,139
  The Ross looks quite interesting.  How does it sound?

When stock, pretty bad. Not surprising considering their vintage status. Now, they sound slightly muffled and bass-light and I'm trying to fix that.

May 2, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #1,103 of 3,139
Here's my one and so far only pair of vintage headphones: Leslie W2 Stereophones.

The specifications as stated on the tin:
Leslie Stereophones W2
Open air high fidelity headphones
Frequency response +/- 5 db at 30 to 15,000Hz
Impedance 4~16 Ohm
Net Weight 240g
Y cord 2m

I got these off of eBay for $25 (plus shipping). They came with the original box and are basically in mint condition. The box even included the original warranty slip which was dated on July 1976. I'm astounded how good these sound.

May 2, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #1,104 of 3,139
hd250 linear ii on 475 band.
hd480 mkii ii
hd450
hd450
hd430

May 2, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #1,105 of 3,139

I think your HD480 is an HD450 with a replacement headband 
wink.gif

Unless you want to think of it as an HD480 with replacement ear-cups 
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #1,106 of 3,139
The Super Fidelity Clarity APH-902.

Initial sound impressions weren't great at all (horrible, peaky with muddy bass; basically a V-shaped sound signature gone wrong) so I decided to take them apart.

The headband yokes pop right out of the holes. Unfortunately, I scratched one of the cups while removing them.

The cup was only attached to the baffle by the yokes. When those were removed, the baffle came right off to reveal a huge 55mm driver which appeared to completely fill the cup, leaving practically no room for damping so I removed them.

They were glued to the baffle but the glue was old and easily scraped off.

Typical paper cone driver technology, but not such a typical size.

May 2, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #1,109 of 3,139
  Here's my one and so far only pair of vintage headphones: Leslie W2 Stereophones.

got these off of eBay for $25 (plus shipping). They came with the original box and are basically in mint condition. The box even included the original warranty slip which was dated on July 1976. I'm astounded how good these sound.

I think Leslie made one of the infamous Pink floyd amps.

Bucket I am surprised those things are paper-coned, figured they would have at least been mylar. Doesn't leave much to work with in there looking at it now. The metal outer was glued in place?

May 2, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #1,110 of 3,139
  I think Leslie made one of the infamous Pink floyd amps.

Bucket I am surprised those things are paper-coned, figured they would have at least been mylar. Doesn't leave much to work with in there looking at it now. The metal outer was glued in place?

Allways wondered what would happen if you shot a paper cone with a good polymer.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back