Show us your vintage headphones!
Jun 3, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #1,997 of 3,125
You are not alone. I have some Sonys and two Aiwas of this kind. I think the X10 is the best.

Does that include those Aiwa 'Carbon disk' thingies ... I've been curious about those for a while, but as you know they're not easy to find.

Funny to see these early 'digital' headphone pop into the 'vintage thread' now, but maybe it's about time since they're over 20 years old, ... I guess I'll help the ball continue rolling?

_DSC8026.jpg

Jun 4, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #1,998 of 3,125
Does that include those Aiwa 'Carbon disk' thingies ... I've been curious about those for a while, but as you know they're not easy to find.

Funny to see these early 'digital' headphone pop into the 'vintage thread' now, but maybe it's about time since they're over 20 years old, ... I guess I'll help the ball continue rolling?

Totally. This is actually the pinnacle of the concept. Open design, that low boost fader is fantastic because the way it doesn't really affect
anything else yet the result is subtle. It's mechanical, not electronic I guess. I had the HP-EX150 as well, the supposed top category. I didn't really like it, the bass was
outstanding but the middle and especially the highs were recessed. The X-10 is simply the best on ear headphones Aiwa has ever
put out on the market. Maybe I am wrong. But then someone please prove me wrong. :)
The X-50 and the X-80 must be good as well but I hear they are more drawn to the bass freqs too which makes them less attractive. And of course they are closed too.

Jun 4, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #1,999 of 3,125
Totally. This is actually the pinnacle of the concept. Open design, that low boost fader is fantastic because the way it doesn't really affect
anything else yet the result is subtle. It's mechanical, not electronic I guess. I had the HP-EX150 as well, the supposed top category. I didn't really like it, the bass was
outstanding but the middle and especially the highs were recessed. The X-10 is simply the best on ear headphones Aiwa has ever
put out on the market. Maybe I am wrong. But then someone please prove me wrong. :)
The X-50 and the X-80 must be good as well but I hear they are more drawn to the bass freqs too which makes them less attractive. And of course they are closed too.

Have you ever had a little peek inside these? Seems like this range of headphones are doing things a little differently to what the others were.
I know I'm not the only one around here who wants to see what's inside :p
If not, no worries... I know there are some who don't want to see a screwdriver within 100 meters of a headphone. ^_^

Jun 4, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #2,000 of 3,125
Have you ever had a little peek inside these? Seems like this range of headphones are doing things a little differently to what the others were.
I know I'm not the only one around here who wants to see what's inside :p
If not, no worries... I know there are some who don't want to see a screwdriver within 100 meters of a headphone. ^_^

Well to be very honest, one of my reasons to get this one is to look inside as I am totally blown away by the sound and the design and I might use the experience in the future.
Of course this is now a second priority next to the sound but it really interests me.
These were made as a complete resonating set of units, almost every piece of them took a part of the overall sound. Like it's little brother, the V99, which is a sonic-acoustic wonder.
So yes I wll, but I'll have to be very careful. Maybe get another one first and leave one totally untouched. :)
Maybe I'll somehow get a manual first with the instructions. Don't know if those are around, have not found one yet.

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #2,001 of 3,125
So here is a weird one.
pwb 1.png

Its quite possible the drivers in these are STAX but...
Why are these terminated in a jack? :)
From what I can hear though, these are lovely. . . now if i can just rig up a generator to run them :)

Jun 5, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #2,003 of 3,125
It is a rarity yessir.

Not all that weird :)
What is weird is that in stock form they have a 4 pin DIN plug,.
The previous owner thought it was a foreign plug ( as is often the case ) and changed it over...

However...
those require a 4 pin DIN plug, since they can only operate with an electret adapter box.

You're not going to have any luck even with a beefy amp. Step up ratio is too high.
I have had a couple Audio-Technica electrets that someone did this to also, but I knew what they were and will swap the end over.
There are often random electret adapter boxes around for sale ( transformers inside ).
Of course you'll need to hook the adapter up to an amp's speaker terminals.
So your options are:
  1. Find a bad stax electret and Stax adapter box, something with channel imbalance sold for cheap ( irreversible ), use the box and recable those with the STAX cable.
  2. Find a suitable 4 pin DIN plug electret adapter unit and buy a cheap 4 pin DIN end so it fits.
The Audio Technica AT-706 unit is a good one for those, it has a 5 volt and 10 volt toggle, and has 2 headphone inputs. rather beefy compared to some of the smaller units. Saw one or two up recently
The bigger the transformers insidethe adapter the better.
4 pin end compatible.

= Pray that there is not any channel imbalance as this is irreversible and cannot be fixed in electrets, you will have to swap in new drivers if so.
These use the Audio Technica 706 electret drivers, which have the yellow glasswool disc driver damping already integrated into the rears of the drivers underneath the driver frame struts.
Stax electret drivers are made by the same OEM ( no idea who that was, not sure anyone figured it out for sure to this day ) do NOT have the integrated rear driver damping pads.

Good find .

BTW you likely knew a bunch of the above stuff I posted, but figured I'd fire it all out in one place in case someone else reads this later too.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #2,005 of 3,125
Thanks Nick, really appreciate the clarification. Very useful
I sort of knew that but made a gamble based on the plug!
I did also grab them quickly knowing what they were - If I cant find an adapter box Im happy to pass them on to someone who will really appreciate them :)
Even at the 5% levels you can get out of them with a beefy amp you can still hear they are great sounding !!
I had a look at the plug wiring and TBH it looks very much like a professional job, definitely not amateur - The inside of the plug has JAPAN stamped on it as well which considering PWB was a British guy is interesting :D

Jun 6, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #2,006 of 3,125
Beyerdynamic Studio

Weird name but based on the DT220, never had seen one on the internet before so grabbed it immediately

Nice find Mr Agent :)

I have the same pair but the Beyerdynamic iteration
After a simple mod they sound really nice, especially with the velour pads
Would be interested in how they sound for you with your own current set up

PS: unless the photo is misleading - are the pads on correctly? The oval shape should be thinnest at the top and bottom, following the shape of the ear o_0

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #2,009 of 3,125
You will likely find a mention or two about the Signet in the Ortho Roundup thread since electrets were also discussed there. Unless you already dowsed there.
I've not tried a back-electret like the 33 yet. Supposed to be good stuff.

Per the fancy special info place "The AT - 705 and AT - 706 are DIN 4 - pin terminals, but the models after that are TECNICA 's own terminals. Therefore, both adapters are not compatible." so hopefully you can find one from the later series.
I'm gonna hazard a guess that everything after the 705/706 kept identical plugs within the lineup(?)

the 7 has " Adapter boost ratio 36 dB " and one input, but the 8 box has dual input and also that low 30db setting too.
I'm not entirely sure what the Signet difference is besides branding. I'd assume it is the same as the ATH-8 with the 2 micron diaphragm vs the 7's 5 micron , since Signet was the fancy pants brand wasn't it?

Hope I didn't ramble.

Now I want one :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #2,010 of 3,125
You will likely find a mention or two about the Signet in the Ortho Roundup thread since electrets were also discussed there. Unless you already dowsed there.
I've not tried a back-electret like the 33 yet. Supposed to be good stuff.

Per the fancy special info place "The AT - 705 and AT - 706 are DIN 4 - pin terminals, but the models after that are TECNICA 's own terminals. Therefore, both adapters are not compatible." so hopefully you can find one from the later series.
I'm gonna hazard a guess that everything after the 705/706 kept identical plugs within the lineup(?)

the 7 has " Adapter boost ratio 36 dB " and one input, but the 8 box has dual input and also that low 30db setting too.
I'm not entirely sure what the Signet difference is besides branding. I'd assume it is the same as the ATH-8 with the 2 micron diaphragm vs the 7's 5 micron , since Signet was the fancy pants brand wasn't it?

Hope I didn't ramble.

Now I want one :frowning2:
For all that good info i've half a mind to donate them to you if I don't like them. This information is very valuable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back