Jun 10, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #2,011 of 3,125

Attachments

• _DSC8144.jpg
    _DSC8144.jpg
    882.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #2,014 of 3,125
Are they good?

It's no secret that the first DT880 was probably the first dynamic headphone to be directly compared with it's contemporary electrostatics... although that was their own marketting as far as I know.

Jun 12, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #2,015 of 3,125
It's no secret that the first DT880 was probably the first dynamic headphone to be directly compared with it's contemporary electrostatics... although that was their own marketting as far as I know.

How about the 990? Seems most folks opt for the 880 so I am curious to know what an owner of both thinks.

Jun 12, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #2,016 of 3,125
990 is a bit of a odd one I think, with the huge felt acoustic lens.
Obviously they use the same spec drivers, but 990 is warmer and gives the impression of reduced resolution at the benefit of a smoother, softer sound.
If 880 is reference/studio, 990 is home-hifi.

Also they benefit from pad rolling. I quite like the Philips SHP2500 pads on the 990. (the whole headphone costs less than brand new beyerdynamic pads :D )

Jun 12, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #2,017 of 3,125
990 is a bit of a odd one I think, with the huge felt acoustic lens.
Obviously they use the same spec drivers, but 990 is warmer and gives the impression of reduced resolution at the benefit of a smoother, softer sound.
If 880 is reference/studio, 990 is home-hifi.

Also they benefit from pad rolling. I quite like the Philips SHP2500 pads on the 990. (the whole headphone costs less than brand new beyerdynamic pads :D )

Just about every phone benefits from pad rolling:) Never ceases to amaze me that even on the megabuck phones now custom fitting is not an option. The Beyer pads are fierce expensive all down the line. To be fair though whatever they are using in them is the best foam I have ever encountered.

Think I need to revisit the 880 again. I have always wanted to try the 990's but the more I hear about them the more they seem just not my bag.

Jun 12, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #2,019 of 3,125
IcbPCwbh.jpg

A pair of AKG K501's

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #2,021 of 3,125
Just about every phone benefits from pad rolling:) Never ceases to amaze me that even on the megabuck phones now custom fitting is not an option. The Beyer pads are fierce expensive all down the line. To be fair though whatever they are using in them is the best foam I have ever encountered.

Think I need to revisit the 880 again. I have always wanted to try the 990's but the more I hear about them the more they seem just not my bag.
What, its called pad rolling when you use multiple pads? I did that for my vintage phones just a week ago, and I fitted the stax 009 on top of the Koss' airpad which is over generic pleather pads. The driver is open and there's nothing blocking it. It sounds smooth on jazz and when I put foam in the stax pads its on ear and feels like nothing, except the clamping force

9957322.jpg

Particularly, my favourite music are from Paul Desmond

The theme from Black Orpheus

Recital - Take five by Nigel Kennedy and Paul Desmond

They are just fantastic music. But Take Five can't be found in Google Play Music. So Tidal or Spotify.

Attachments

• IMG_20170607_231556.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #2,022 of 3,125
Pad rolling is more like "take off stock pads and try out EVERY SET OF PADS YOU OWN".
(like tube-rolling)

I think what you're doing is usually called 'stacking' or a 'pad-sandwich' ... which now that I've wrote that sounds absolutely disgusting ._.

Jun 13, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #2,023 of 3,125
Pad rolling is more like "take off stock pads and try out EVERY SET OF PADS YOU OWN".
(like tube-rolling)

I think what you're doing is usually called 'stacking' or a 'pad-sandwich' ... which now that I've wrote that sounds absolutely disgusting ._.
Following that. Using in ear monitors, but stacking the tips. Tip stacking

OK that's horribler

Can you stack drivers? You'll have 2 jacks, you'll hear 2 versions of the same song.

So why exactly are the Sony drivers so fancy? What is the most fancy drivers?

probably sound like very bad.

What is a good driver transfer? Peter had mentioned how you can put in ATH drivers into a takstar housing.

The worst sound quality I've ever had is my PsP, its just a criminal offence. Seen people mod theirs with speakers. I wanna do that but not really in for it

Oh the, and I had some cool headphones that sounded flat back in Melbourne. But they are in Melbourne.

The worst 200 dollars I spent was a modded t20rp called T20rp dbv#3 that had nice mids but it was not even comparable to anything for 200 dollars. I was new and when I saw it I bought it but I disassembled it and use for the sr39fp FM radio. Which gets incredibly loud

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #2,024 of 3,125
That set of Leslie cans is a monstrosity, but whatever floats your boat.
Following that. Using in ear monitors, but stacking the tips. Tip stacking

OK that's horribler

Can you stack drivers? You'll have 2 jacks, you'll hear 2 versions of the same song.

So why exactly are the Sony drivers so fancy? What is the most fancy drivers?

probably sound like very bad.

What is a good driver transfer? Peter had mentioned how you can put in ATH drivers into a takstar housing.

The worst sound quality I've ever had is my PsP, its just a criminal offence. Seen people mod theirs with speakers. I wanna do that but not really in for it

Oh the, and I had some cool headphones that sounded flat back in Melbourne. But they are in Melbourne.

The worst 200 dollars I spent was a modded t20rp called T20rp dbv#3 that had nice mids but it was not even comparable to anything for 200 dollars. I was new and when I saw it I bought it but I disassembled it and use for the sr39fp FM radio. Which gets incredibly loud
If you want weird combinations of multiple audio sources played at your ears, get a pair of quadraphonic headphones.
Dunno what you mean by fancy. Drivers themselves can be put wherever you like, provided there's enough room for it. The biggest problem with doing that on a whim is the acoustic properties of every set of phones is a little different.

Jun 13, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #2,025 of 3,125
Sony DR-Z7/Z6 drivers are pretty fancy.... I wouldn't say Sony's drivers on the whole are anything particularly fancy, but they have quite a wide variety.
Some planars are too... even the humble Sawafuji planar driver has a fancy honey-comb embossed impression to make the diaphragm more rigid.
Hitachi HD-9 drivers are fancy'ish.
Anything with an electret, electrostatic or heil air motion driver are kinda fancy too.

You could even argue 'P.W.B.' dynamics were fancy... IIRC, they were 60mm in diameter.

Ooh, I just remembered... the faciest driver I've ever seen was in a Rank Arena SK-800... that thing takes the cake on my list.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back