Show us your vintage headphones!
Jun 16, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #2,042 of 3,125
Alas, sadly not.
With regard to planars containing similar or near identical drivers, I only have experience with the T10, KH-83, T20RP and GDHS-223.
So the best I can offer is my guess.

Jun 21, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #2,045 of 3,125
New baffles printed, with DTX710 Drivers.
Looks good, sounds good. Will have to buy another DT440 now.
IMG_20170617_213158679.jpg
IMG_20170618_110159665_HDR.jpg

Jun 21, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #2,049 of 3,125
Yo MrTechAgent, since you've become THE local Beyer dude, which models are actually worth looking in to, in your opinion? I have an old DT48S that needs work, but i'm interested in anything else that's either historically interesting or sonically different/better than other offerings from other companies. I've heard good things about the DT480, so that's what I'm looking out for on the cheap.

Here are my AKG Parabolics.
Interesting little cans, they are built like a quadraphonic model, right? How do you like em?

Jun 22, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #2,051 of 3,125
Yo MrTechAgent, since you've become THE local Beyer dude, which models are actually worth looking in to, in your opinion? I have an old DT48S that needs work, but i'm interested in anything else that's either historically interesting or sonically different/better than other offerings from other companies. I've heard good things about the DT480, so that's what I'm looking out for on the cheap.

The DT880S and DT880M that @GREQ has are probably worth looking into.
The DT96A is probably the best sounding Ancient Beyer I have experienced but that's after a lot of filtering and correction, highly capable Electrodynamic.

My good friend has a modded DT480 that he likes more than his DT1990s and other Headphones, they have good modding potential but I keep mine stock and factory fresh.
Historically the ET1000 and certain DT48s will be the best addition to a collection.

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #2,052 of 3,125
I have a DT480 for sale in great condition. It's in the sale thread. Just a FYI in case you are interested.
Thanks for letting me know. To be honest, I'm after a pair of these, but when I say "cheap" I definitely mean it. There's just no reason for me to pay premium price, but that's because I do not consider "rarity" as having much sway on the price. Like, I understand that rarity obviously drives up price, but not in all cases. Look up "rare headphones" on ebay, and most of the stuff you find will be garbage. Rare, sure, but also garbage. "Rare Mcdonalds logo headphones with AM/FM radio" Generally I put much more value on the principal or the construction than the item. Orthos, metal or sturdy materials, interesting components. So as I see it, 200 bucks between suspected good vintage headphones and reviewed and paced modern headphones... It's a no-brainer.

The DT880S and DT880M that @GREQ has are probably worth looking into.
The DT96A is probably the best sounding Ancient Beyer I have experienced but that's after a lot of filtering and correction, highly capable Electrodynamic.

My good friend has a modded DT480 that he likes more than his DT1990s and other Headphones, they have good modding potential but I keep mine stock and factory fresh.
Historically the ET1000 and certain DT48s will be the best addition to a collection.
I'm surprised by that finding. The old material on the DT98A says it only goes from 30hz to 17khz.
I do like a headphone that has modding potential too. Makes me feel like a sound engineer hahah

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #2,053 of 3,125

Interesting little cans, they are built like a quadraphonic model, right? How do you like em?
Actually they are the almost like having speakers on each ear. I replaced the original padding with velours from AKG. They have a nice wide sound stage. I got them for under $100 used on CL years ago.

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #2,054 of 3,125
Thanks for letting me know. To be honest, I'm after a pair of these, but when I say "cheap" I definitely mean it. There's just no reason for me to pay premium price, but that's because I do not consider "rarity" as having much sway on the price. Like, I understand that rarity obviously drives up price, but not in all cases. Look up "rare headphones" on ebay, and most of the stuff you find will be garbage. Rare, sure, but also garbage. "Rare Mcdonalds logo headphones with AM/FM radio" Generally I put much more value on the principal or the construction than the item. Orthos, metal or sturdy materials, interesting components. So as I see it, 200 bucks between suspected good vintage headphones and reviewed and paced modern headphones... It's a no-brainer.

I understand your point but this is not like a Radio Shack headphone. It's a Beyerdynamic and the one I have is in almost new condition. Less of a risk of being suspect if you are dealing with a reputable headphone maker. You can throw the current DT150 off of a building and it would survive the impact and still probably work. :smile_phones: The DT480 is even sturdier.

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #2,055 of 3,125
I understand your point but this is not like a Radio Shack headphone. It's a Beyerdynamic and the one I have is in almost new condition. Less of a risk of being suspect if you are dealing with a reputable headphone maker. You can throw the current DT150 off of a building and it would survive the impact and still probably work. :smile_phones: The DT480 is even sturdier.
I don't mean that the headphone construction is suspect, my point is that there are very few opinions about the dt480, there is nowhere that I can demo them and the brand name itself is not important. Don't talk crap about radioshack- they had some nice stuff OEM'd way back when.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back