Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Aug 3, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #14,432 of 41,102
Quote:
When did you pick up the HD 800? Impressions compared to HE 500? =)

I've had it for about a month now. I think the HE-500 and the HD800 compliment each other as perfectly as two headphones possibly could. Everything the HE-500 lacks, the HD800 has in excess, and vice versa. The HD800 is the most resolving and clear sounding headphone I have ever heard. The level of detail is truly remarkable and the soundstage imaging, layering, and sheer size makes it fun to listen to. Listening to the HD800 feels like you have a direct connection to the source itself, as if there is no electronic device between your brain and the music. It's being beamed directly into your head. As cliche as it sounds, it's like you are actually there.

On the other hand, the HE-500 imparts its own character into the music. The warm, lush mids, super smooth treble and satisfying bass. You never forget it's there, but you don't want to because it sounds so good. The intimate soundstage is great for vocals. Everything sounds like it's closer to you and somehow more tangible. It's not as resolving of detail as the HD800 but it isn't necessarily a bad thing. It just sounds so effortless and musical as opposed to the more "accurate" HD800 which has a more energetic sound.

I wouldn't want to give either of them up as I enjoy them both immensely, but if I had to keep only one it would be the HE-500.

Quote:

That's a fine looking collection. I still want to try a T1 but I don't know of any places around here that would have Beyers in stock. Maybe ALO audio. 

Also, that Norse cable is sexy.

Aug 3, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #14,433 of 41,102
Quote:
Phew. I've really waste- erm, I mean invested enough money into this hobby. For this year, anyway. My wallet has grown so thin and lightweight, I think it'll grow wings next...

I haven't seen a Realizer in so long that I forgot they existed! How do you enjoy the ESP950?

Aug 3, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #14,434 of 41,102
The ESP-950 is awesome - but for use with the Realiser I prefer the LA7000, as its sub-bass capabilities really give an impression of a powerful subwoofer... or at least as close as headphones get. In any case I don't see myself listening to music with the Realiser all the time, it's really more of a HT replacement (no chance of a 5.1 system in a rented apartment with thin walls).

Aug 3, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #14,435 of 41,102
Quote:
LCD-2 are sold! 

Thats one super collection. The 5 dynamic heavyweights! (granted that you've got HE500 not HE6 but hey!)  If you could only keep one today... What would it be? 

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #14,436 of 41,102
Quote:
Thats one super collection. The 5 dynamic heavyweights! (granted that you've got HE500 not HE6 but hey!)  If you could only keep one today... What would it be? 

thats easy, the T1.

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #14,438 of 41,102
Quote:

thats easy, the T1.

I knew you'd say that :wink: 

beerchug.gif

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #14,439 of 41,102
Latest setup. Nothing I would call cheap but the items perform about as good as anything I’ve heard and they cost quite a bit less than the most expensive items I’ve owned.

Audio GD NFB 10ES2 as DAC/PRE and headphone amp. Just received it this week. Excellent volume control and versatility. Sound from the DAC USB input is incredibly revealing and spacious.

Hifiman HE-500 hardwired with Norse cable with 4 pin XLR (This was bought used and was already recabled when I bought them. I like the ergonomics of the cable)

QUAD 12L Active Monitors on Isoacoustic stands (really eliminates unwanted bass boominess). Incredible sound and value. Bought used for about the same price as the HE-500.

Very happy with where I am now with this setup. It doesn’t break the bank but sounds like it should.

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #14,440 of 41,102
Very handsome set up. ^^^ That Norse cable looks so good with the hifimans

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #14,443 of 41,102
Quote:
Hell of a collection you got there! Seems like the TH900s are the flavor of july-august, how are you liking those?

yes they are!! i love them, they're denon d7000 finally done right! the basshead's flagship 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
eek.gif

HE-6 for me...
biggrin.gif

i have to hear the HE-6 someday....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back