Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jun 9, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #13,757 of 41,300

I have finally built my way up to a respectable rig that I think will keep the upgraditis at bay for a little while longer. Now I just need to convince myself that I don't need to buy new bookshelf speakers....

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #13,758 of 41,300
Quote:

I have finally built my way up to a respectable rig that I think will keep the upgraditis at bay for a little while longer. Now I just need to convince myself that I don't need to buy new bookshelf speakers....

Psh, what do you mean you don't need to buy new bookshelf speakers? Everyone needs one pair at least. Surely you'd want to have a good ambient when you're doing something else while not tethered to the music corner.

heheh... ehehehe

Jun 9, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #13,759 of 41,300
Quote:
Psh, what do you mean you don't need to buy new bookshelf speakers? Everyone needs one pair at least. Surely you'd want to have a good ambient when you're doing something else while not tethered to the music corner.

heheh... ehehehe

That is what my audioholic brain keeps telling me, don't encourage it. I do have a pair of Alesis m1 active 520 studio monitors, but my Mission 771 speakers kicked the bucket recently. The studio monitors are fine, but I kinda miss that sweet sounds of my Missions. My wallet would not be so happy at me though.. 

Jun 9, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #13,761 of 41,300
Quote:

Are you using the A1 to power your current bookshelves? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

Actually even if you aren't, I'd be interested to hear your impressions overall.

Jun 10, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #13,763 of 41,300
No I am only using the A1 as a headphone amp at the time. Like I said earlier my beloved Mission 770 bookshelves are no more so at the moment I just use my Alesis M1 active 520 studio monitors. Just got a couple of  pair of Mission M70 bookshelf speakers off craigslist yesterday dirt cheap to tide me over with my active monitors until I can save up for a pair of nice bookshelves. The M70's are older small entry level mission speakers, better for surrond system, but pretty good as 2.0 speakers for their size. I haven't bothered trying to hook them up to the A1 yet since they are nothing really special and I don't know if it will make that much of a difference than my receiver. Probably will try it out this week just for fun though. 

So far I have really enjoyed the A1. This is my first desktop amp, so I have nothing really to compare it to though so I don't know how objective my opinions are. Before getting the A1 I had only fiio E10 and E11. I think the A1 definitely gives you a little extra "tubey" sound, but without compromising too much detail. I have the upgraded Raytheon tubes. I also think the dynamics on my DT880's (which I use most of the time, unless g/f is in the same room) are definitely improved from using my e10. I haven't done enough A/Bing to be able to describe the improvements (my e10 has been very neglected since getting A1).

I just recently got the D1 from another fellow headfier and right away I was surprised what a difference a decent DAC makes over a small portable DAC. Right away I noticed improved instrument separation and improved detail. I have mainly only used the tube pre-amp out so far and haven't listened to the SS pre-amp out much at all yet. I like the fact that there are 2 analog outs as well analog in, coax, usb, optical and line in so I have lots of options and could hook the SS analog out to my active monitors and still have the tub pre-amp out hooked up to the A1.  Again I have no experience with other SS or Tube desktop amps or DAC's, so I can't say how they compared to similar amps and DAC's, but I have enjoyed them and they have improved my rig. 

Jun 11, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #13,765 of 41,300
Quote:
Are those stands for the A2s worth it?

I've been using folded up tissue boxes as a temporary stand and i've seen a slight improvement.

Before I got the stands, I was using few books I had lying around.  It was a small improvement with the new angle, but I really can't tell if it was really worth it.  It might be because I'm so close to the wall like what the others have said.  It does look a lot better than it did with books though!

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #13,766 of 41,300
First post in this thread.

Thus far this is all I have, my HD558s hooked to my laptop running Foobar2k FLAC files. Ive got them resting on this nifty little CD rack I got at a good will store, press the buttons on the right side and the tray slides out where you can put the entire CD case, they lock into the slider and you can open the cases while keeping them in the rack. 

I hope to add a Schiit stack to the equation pretty soon, so Ill report back in then. Also sorry about the bad picture, the camera in the Galaxy S4 doesnt do too well in low light.

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #13,767 of 41,300
Quote:
First post in this thread.

Thus far this is all I have, my HD558s hooked to my laptop running Foobar2k FLAC files. Ive got them resting on this nifty little CD rack I got at a good will store, press the buttons on the right side and the tray slides out where you can put the entire CD case, they lock into the slider and you can open the cases while keeping them in the rack. 

I hope to add a Schiit stack to the equation pretty soon, so Ill report back in then. Also sorry about the bad picture, the camera in the Galaxy S4 doesnt do too well in low light.

Did you mod your 558's?

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #13,768 of 41,300
Quote:
Did you mod your 558's?

Indeed I did. 

Straight out of the box I opened them up and took the foam off, I have it stuck to the top of my desk should I decide to resell them at any point, Ill just put it back in. When I got them I also got a shorter cable to bypass the bulky adapter, but it didnt fit in the hole on the headphones, so I just got over it and braided the cable, which I actually like the look of.

Jun 13, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #13,769 of 41,300
Had a few changes recently. 

and bedside. 

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #13,770 of 41,300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back