Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Mar 25, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #12,407 of 41,119
My little low-budget rig

http://imageshack.us/a/img402/7058/dsc07600l.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img545/2417/dsc07584f.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img23/8894/dsc07597p.jpg

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #12,408 of 41,119
Quote:
I was just looking at this one and apparently $300 new in UK = ~$500 new in US =~1k new in Aus.   Was wondering why the used options I looked up were > $500... damn
paying more than triple for a new P3 just cause of shipping down here seems non-sensical.

No kidding that does seem way out of line.

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #12,411 of 41,119
I want a Music Hall USB-1 for my 16th birthday... Any other suggestions at that price point?

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #12,412 of 41,119
I love seeing all this 180 gram talk. The truth is that years ago there was very few thick records to purchase new. I have been looking at records starting in 1973. There are these thin records, I forgot the label but they were so thin that you could hear the music from the other side!

I would guess that besides the weight you also have so many other factors changing the sound of the pressing. I read this thread the last couple of pages and there is so much thickness talk. The truth is that there is high quality pressing on virgin vinyl and people who know what they are doing when making the original pressing dye.

The art of making good records was lost for awhile. In the heyday of vinyl you had so many records being made that many knew how. There are cheap records you could buy at the supermarket in the late 1960. There were expensive Living Stereo records and even early audiophile records. This all started after the war when there was a economy run and many folks with extra money to spend on early HI-Fi. The early good stuff was Capitol Jazz and Lounge records from the early 1960s. There were also so many little labels which were known for their sound. They built a reputation and repeat buyers by all the records having the same sound. You kind of knew what you were going to get when you purchased a label. RCA, Capitol were very consistent. They also had sub labels so any quality or lower artist could get a cheaper record out that the quality would not tarnish what was built. A and M records had a sound and was built off of Whip Cream and other Delights! The Tijuana Brass was the stuff that sold in the mid 60s.

Command records had early audiophile stuff where all the drums ping ponged around and showed what stereo could do. EMI was the European label and even they had sub-labels. If you purchased a Warner Brothers record in the early 70s you knew what it would sound like.

What has happened is now there is no way to know your SQ. They make records from digital masters. They do bad pressings and even don't make plates to press records. It's really worth it to get into an expensive audiophile label that promises you a level of quality. Also finding high quality old records that are clean from a friends personal collection gets you good records from anywhere from 1970-1989. 1970-1989 is the golden years for sound quality in rock records. There are Jazz and Blues classics from an early time before 1970 and the sound was great too but they were hit and miss on sound then.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #12,413 of 41,119
Quote:
I was just looking at this one and apparently $300 new in UK = ~$500 new in US =~1k new in Aus.   Was wondering why the used options I looked up were > $500... damn
paying more than triple for a new P3 just cause of shipping down here seems non-sensical.

It seems you're looking at the Rega P3 which was just recently discontinued in favor of the RP-3.  The Rega Planar 3 was introduced in the early '80's and has been discontinued for a while now.  I've fairly certain that there's been no remaining stock of the Planar 3 for a long time now.  There are probably a few unopened P3's remaining.  The current RP-3 is a very good deck and (IMO) a healthy step above their previous "3" offerings.

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #12,414 of 41,119
Quote:
You get a great (RB300) tonearm with the Rega P3 - one that you can tweak or move onto a better deck later, if desired.

and yes, chicks dig Rega!

The only piece of audio women ever expressed interest in. "Oh wow your tplatter is made of glass!"  Go Figure
rolleyes.gif

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #12,415 of 41,119
I occasionally grab some $2 vinyl from the local shops bins, super thin vinyl of 80s music such as Breakfast Club soundtrack, Power Station, Bananarama, etc) and the vinyl is slightly warped, super thin looking (not confidence inspiring), but I clean them up using my Record cleaning machine, and boy do they sound more dynamic and powerful than 90% of the indie-rock 180 gram releases I get these days.  As was mentioned, the trick for new stuff is to find the virgin vinyl (not that many are labeled as such).  Also, avoid the colored vinyl.  If I have a choice between colored/swirly/etc vinyl and basic black, I will always choose the black.  In my experience they are less prone to surface noise.

A record cleaning machine makes all the difference in the world.  And not the tub ones, but the vacuum cleaning ones.  They are super expensive though. I went with the KAB though and that is actually fairly cheap but you have to bring your own vacuum cleaner.  I first used the family vacuum cleaner, but eventually got a specific portable mini-vac for it and they both work equally well.  http://www.kabusa.com/ev1.htm (not related to the shop or anything, in fact I would redo their website if I was lol, but I definitely love this product).

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #12,416 of 41,119
True on most accounts but I don't really find colored vinyl any more prone to noise. They're all quite good once run through a good cleaning machine like you said.

I plan on getting a Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi asap.

Quote:
I occasionally grab some $2 vinyl from the local shops bins, super thin vinyl of 80s music such as Breakfast Club soundtrack, Power Station, Bananarama, etc) and the vinyl is slightly warped, super thin looking (not confidence inspiring), but I clean them up using my Record cleaning machine, and boy do they sound more dynamic and powerful than 90% of the indie-rock 180 gram releases I get these days.  As was mentioned, the trick for new stuff is to find the virgin vinyl (not that many are labeled as such).  Also, avoid the colored vinyl.  If I have a choice between colored/swirly/etc vinyl and basic black, I will always choose the black.  In my experience they are less prone to surface noise.

A record cleaning machine makes all the difference in the world.  And not the tub ones, but the vacuum cleaning ones.  They are super expensive though. I went with the KAB though and that is actually fairly cheap but you have to bring your own vacuum cleaner.  I first used the family vacuum cleaner, but eventually got a specific portable mini-vac for it and they both work equally well.  http://www.kabusa.com/ev1.htm (not related to the shop or anything, in fact I would redo their website if I was lol, but I definitely love this product).

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #12,417 of 41,119
Quote:

Speaking of breakfast.  Cereal Box Records  Now that's audiophile quality right there!!!

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #12,418 of 41,119
Quote:
Let me help you. And it's no way a low budget-fi with all of these fancy cable! How's do you like the AKG and Sen? I really like your set up

+1

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #12,419 of 41,119
Quote:
My little low-budget rig

http://imageshack.us/a/img402/7058/dsc07600l.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img545/2417/dsc07584f.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img23/8894/dsc07597p.jpg

1300$ DAC/Amp is Low Budget? 
confused.gif

What's wrong with you people?

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #12,420 of 41,119
Quote:
Let me help you. And it's no way a low budget-fi with all of these fancy cable! How's do you like the AKG and Sen? I really like your set up

I like them both quite a bit.  They both have really changed a lot after burn in, something I didn't quite expect.  The HD650 are quite full sounding with really really nice bass.  The HA-160D makes a big difference and I love it.  The Q701 has great detail and I love the way they do bass ...it's this textured thing I can't quite describe but I like it.  I'm wanting the Audio Technica W1000x and the Fostex TH900.  ...if I eneded up with Senn HD700's along the way I'll not be surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back