Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Mar 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #12,061 of 41,130
Some gear:

K701 - DT880 - RP-DH1200 - Superlux HD668b - SR325is - D2000 - HD669

Matrix M-Stage - V-DAC II - DT880 - K701 - Vintage Technics SU-Z45

PS: The K701 have a band mod, it has k601's one.

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #12,062 of 41,130
Great pick. I'll be auditioning LFD for sure once the time comes to get either the CS600 or something else. 

Didn't really consider it with the current rig because the Leben sounded instantly good to me and I just wanted it. 

EDIT: And they have kick ass phono stages, too.

Quote:
This is the NCSE mk II model.
I caught one on Audiogon for a great deal.... About the same price as a LE IV would be brand new.
I couldn't resist.
It is better in many ways than the Audio Research.
Now i just need to upgrade speaker cables and a few other odds and ends...
The system is sounding fantastic. Hardly ever use cans at home now...
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #12,066 of 41,130
Gorgeous. I'm surprised by how many people are content with the HD 650. I totally need to audition them at some point. They may just very well be perfect for me. 

While I haven't heard all of the giants, the HD650 paired with a good OTL is scarily close to an end-game rig. Anything extra is squeezing out the last 5% or so, but that's what this hobby is about I guess.

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #12,067 of 41,130
Quote:

I don't think the majority of your tracks would shine on any DAC. Lotsa dubstep/EDM stuff there. Will likely need some reference tracks to tell the difference. Then again, if dubstep is the majority of your listening, a decent headphone out of a Macbook Pro would do just fine too (which is how I listen to the stuff at work).

At home, it's a different set of albums/tracks that I wind down with and definitely can tell the differences between playing on a low/mid-end DAC vs a higher end. Obviously the law of diminishing returns come into play in the high-end audio industry, but there are obvious differences.

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #12,069 of 41,130
Quote:
While I haven't heard all of the giants, the HD650 paired with a good OTL is scarily close to an end-game rig. Anything extra is squeezing out the last 5% or so, but that's what this hobby is about I guess.

I have no desire to keep searching after getting the WA2 and a stash of nice tubes.  I've been listening to the HD650's for about 7 years and the WA2 squeezed everything I could ask for out of the HD650's.  I'd like to get set of HD600's in the future, but otherwise, the WA2 and HD650's are it for me.

Quote:

Lovely! Is that a power conditioner next to the DLIII?

Yup, that's the PS Audio UPC 200 power conditioner.

Also, the cable is a Moon Audio Blue Dragon.  Pretty decent cable, but not worth the price unless you can find one used.  Stick with the stock HD650 cable, it isn't microphonic, is very durable, and doesn't have any major sonic issues.

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #12,070 of 41,130
I have no desire to keep searching after getting the WA2 and a stash of nice tubes.  I've been listening to the HD650's for about 7 years and the WA2 squeezed everything I could ask for out of the HD650's.  I'd like to get set of HD600's in the future, but otherwise, the WA2 and HD650's are it for me.

Yeah the Crack should hold me over for a while. May possibly flirt with the idea of getting the HD600 again, possibly an HD800 down the road.

Pretty much the only tweaks I expect to make in my setup in the near future are source based as DACs are progressing pretty fast nowadays.

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #12,072 of 41,130

I
 might not have decades of experience in this hobby, but I'm not stupid or uneducated by any means. I wish the majority of the people at that meet would have stopped assuming that I was simply because I am somewhat younger than the average Head-Fier.

I know that this is your gear that I'm reviewing, but just assuming that I didn't hear a difference because I did a bunch of stuff wrong makes me really angry. If anything, it was probably due to the fact that I just didn't really have enough time to sit down and compare. My observation was made in a less than ideal setting with a limited time frame to make my observations.

Picture is all the music that I brought with me to the meet, which is only about 25% of my collection. I have very few "mp3s", and what I do have mostly doesn't exist in anything better (such as Excision).

^ I would suggest using some better recordings as reference, when you compare gears. Spanish Harlem from Rebecca Pidgeon / Chesky is a good start.

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #12,075 of 41,130
Quote:
Quote:

Gorgeous. I'm surprised by how many people are content with the HD 650. I totally need to audition them at some point. They may just very well be perfect for me. 

Wes008, the 650's are a great HP. I still listen to them even with my 800's..

Thaddy, NICE dude!  sweet and simple for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back