Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Aug 20, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #7,787 of 41,103
Quote:
While reading Head fi, I realised I've never taken a proper photo of my headphone and amp!

There are plenty of studio hi-key shots of AKG and Shiits, I went for an alternative style. 

What do ya think? 
k701smile.gif
 <=omg, that's an K701!

Superb and nice headphone and camera rig!

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #7,789 of 41,103
Great photos, really. Love the white K701 and red cable jacket

Quote:
While reading Head fi, I realised I've never taken a proper photo of my headphone and amp!

There are plenty of studio hi-key shots of AKG and Shiits, I went for an alternative style. 

What do ya think? 
k701smile.gif
 <=omg, that's an K701!

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #7,792 of 41,103
Quote:
I been playing around with the different headphone stands for the last 2 weeks or so. I never really hit on the look of one I liked. So last Wednesday, while sitting at my ugly, old, falling apart computer stand it came to me. Why not build a new desk and make the headphone stand part of it and, add a spot for amps and what not. So I spent the evening drawing up different desks and finally hit on one I kind of liked. So Friday off to the lumber store I went and started the building process. I am still 100% its what I want or will settle on, but its atleast functional and a heck of a lot better than what I had been using since moving the man cave from the upstairs to the dungeon....I mean basement......lol

Well anyway here is a couple pictures of the current listening station. Nothing really elaborate, but its functional and suites me well. At least for the time being. 

Pictures are taken from my iPhone and I am about the farthest thing from a photographer that you will ever find. Sorry for the crappy pics, but its the best I can do.

Great job!! 

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #7,793 of 41,103
I hope you're kidding. How much would these cost? Gah.

Well lucky for me they were free hehehe.  The amps were made in Canada in the late 1930's as the Canadian arm of Western Electric, hence the "northern" instead of "western" electric.  The humble power transformers operate at 25hz, which is why they are so large.  Those beasts would cost a great deal as they would have to be custom made today unless you could find a pair on ebay or in an estate sale.  Below is a pic of the sticker on the output transformer, thought some of you might be interested.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #7,794 of 41,103
Quote:
in all seriousness how do you like the Mapleshade rack?

I was looking at one myself recently (or at least one of their TT stands). Is it sturdy enough? I'm honestly a little confused about how it all goes together.

Its very, very sturdy!  I like it a lot.  It went togeter pretty easy, but you do need two people to do it.  And note that it's very heavy.  Basically you have 4 threaded poles, you put the footers on the end of each pole, slide a shelf down (which steadies the whole thing) and then you have a bunch of nicely machined brass rings that thread down and lock the shelves where you want them.  Since it is all thread, you can put the shelves anywhere.  Only tool you need is a level for the shelves.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #7,795 of 41,103
That was the idea I got from it when I saw the pictures. Good that it's heavy, that's important. I really like the fact that you can put the shelves anywhere. Looking even better now.

Quote:

Its very, very sturdy!  I like it a lot.  It went togeter pretty easy, but you do need two people to do it.  And note that it's very heavy.  Basically you have 4 threaded poles, you put the footers on the end of each pole, slide a shelf down (which steadies the whole thing) and then you have a bunch of nicely machined brass rings that thread down and lock the shelves where you want them.  Since it is all thread, you can put the shelves anywhere.  Only tool you need is a level for the shelves.

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #7,796 of 41,103
Quote:
People...is it really necessary to keep quoting the same post and include all the pictures in it? Just sayin'. 
redface.gif

This forum seems to be the only one I frequent that this is a steadily recurring problem.

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #7,797 of 41,103
Just got a new favorite

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #7,800 of 41,103
Quote:

What a neat looking amp! How do you like it?

I like the sound it produces, and feels plenty strong enough for the T-90s. Plan to check out some other tubes though. Stock are probably cheapest sort :)   Nice value for money in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back