Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Mar 17, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #4,906 of 41,133
i need a mic. don't have one lol, i want for talking to ppl and stuff, and in case i ever need to record something. i want something with really good quality

desk mic would work best im assuming, better than a headset since i have headphones lol

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #4,907 of 41,133
i need a mic. don't have one lol, i want for talking to ppl and stuff, and in case i ever need to record something. i want something with really good quality

desk mic would work best im assuming, better than a headset since i have headphones lol

You can get any large diaphragm microphone with a desktop stand. The Blue Yeti is a good microphone, but since it's an USB one it has it's own A/D converter, so it shows up as an individual sound card in Windows 7 and that might cause some issues. I haven't been able to make USB microphones work with low latency ASIO drivers, so doing any sort of effects or noise removal "live" is impossible. Then again, doing the same trick is very easy on an audio interface that supports multiple inputs and outputs at the same time, and your microphone choices are much broader when you have a sound card with a phantom power supporting XLR input.

I wouldn't know an English equivalent to the Finnish saying "hunger grows while you're eating" but I hope you won't end up wanting more once you get a good quality mic but lack the connectivity for some more intricate applications ;3

Then again, a lot of podcasters and artists with acoustics quitar cope with just a single USB mic, so I might be just obsessed with tinkering :D

Mar 17, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #4,909 of 41,133

Quote:
That would be okay if I had 600 bucks lieing around, but I don't.

I'm sure this will get me castrated here, but...

Don't have $600 lieing [sic] around, but have a +$4,000 headphone rig...

Anyway, I've been eyeballing those Emotiva mono-blocks + Maggies (MMG's or 1.7's) for awhile; nice choice.

Mar 17, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #4,911 of 41,133
Small update on the listening corner, added the Denon AH-D5000 some weeks ago. Managed to find a Sennheiser headphone hanger that worked like a charm with my desk (well relatively atleast, hate the tangling properties of the denon cable).

As a sidenote i switched the apple keyboard for a mechanical one with red switches (taka taka taka, ohh the pleasure). Bought a small nixie clock also, it proved to be very hard to capture it properly in pictures.

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #4,913 of 41,133

Anyway, I've been eyeballing those Emotiva mono-blocks + Maggies (MMG's or 1.7's) for awhile; nice choice.

I understand where you're coming from a little bit...but the only time I have 600 to spare is when I'm saving for something. I budget very tightly and bills are the priority but any extra money is for toys. I have an emergency fund that doesn't get touched unless it's a true emergency.

MMGs were in the budget, a second pair was not. Heck if I had 600 bucks lieing around I'd have my Emotiva Pre amp in that stack already.

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #4,914 of 41,133

jst got some new dummy headphone stand...audio-gd di will be arriving soon...

you should so get some magic markers and make some awesome faces on them. it'll give them character!

awesome set-up btw.

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #4,915 of 41,133

Quote:
I have an emergency fund that doesn't get touched unless it's a true emergency.

Fair enough - that'll teach me to pass judgement :)

Where is that rack from btw? It looks nice. I'm having a hard time finding anything reasonably priced.

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #4,916 of 41,133
It's a VTI BL404 with the 9, 7, 7 spacing. Also available with 13, 9, 7 spacing. 

I'd had my eye on one for a long time (since I started here) but never really had the gear to put into it. Now that I needed space for my 2ch system it was time to get one. They range anywhere from 325 to about 400 USD (depending on spacing and shelf options). Well worth it, IMO. 

The last thing I need to do to it is fill the poles with buckshot and sand (the spikes unscrew for this).

Oh, and yeah...after watching my parents go bankrupt twice I learned to be extremely careful with money. Emergency funds are important. Heck I had to pull some out of it a few months ago because of car troubles.

Quote:
Fair enough - that'll teach me to pass judgement :)

Where is that rack from btw? It looks nice. I'm having a hard time finding anything reasonably priced.

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #4,917 of 41,133

Pre-move.
k701smile.gif
dt880smile.png

Mar 17, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #4,919 of 41,133

I got my mits on Dr. Cavalli's personal CTH...Okay maybe he said I could borrow it but now I kind of don't want to let it go. For one, it's gorgeous, and secondly it's brought out bass in the 598s I haven't heard before. 

They aren't bass light, but with this little bugger they've been cranked way up.

Other than that I just cleaned up the desk and moved the piece of glass from this desk into another room. 

EDIT: Added these 2 beauties to the empty space. Needed some more color anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back