Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 30, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #3,991 of 41,293

Quote:
I would say no. I have not heard the combo but the HE-500 requires a lot of current and neither the Phonitor nor the Auditor can supply. Something like the Lyr would be better suited or even the X0CANV8P.

I own Lyr and HE-500, actually it's my work rig right now (I use them already for about half of year), but I still think that HE-500 sound better with Phonitor... again it's only My opinion based on what I hear... By the way HE-6 is horrible with Phonitor, just an awful sound (but I was expecting that
wink.gif
)

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #3,992 of 41,293
I'd really like to move into the world of orthos, but have been hesitant about doing so, because I figured that they may not pair well with my Phonitor. Suspect my first step will be HE-500--worse come to worse I can just always return them I suppose. ^^

Quote:
I own Lyr and HE-500, actually it's my work rig right now (I use them already for about half of year), but I still think that HE-500 sound better with Phonitor... again it's only My opinion based on what I hear... By the way HE-6 is horrible with Phonitor, just an awful sound (but I was expecting that
wink.gif
)

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #3,993 of 41,293
Here comes my work rig with added Woo Audio stand:

metalsonata, 
It's only My opinion so I think you should seek for some more opinions on this matter before buying HE-500... About orthos, LCD-2 is also good to my ears with Phonitor, also my friend has Phonitor and LCD-2 and it's his favorite rig (he also own some Acustic Arts DAC on 1704... so he like "dark" sound)

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #3,994 of 41,293

Quote:
Awesome avatar. 

Thanks. Are you a Bukowski fan?

Quote:
not a bad set up either lol.

Looking to step up from the Fubar III, I originally purchased Headroom's "micro stack" aka the micro DAC & amp combo.

However I wasn't hearing much of a difference between using the Headroom DAC and using the Fubar III to feed the Micro Amp. It wasn't a matter of wishful thinking because I had spent the money and I wanted to hear the difference, but those differences just weren't making themselves apparent to my ears. Perhaps that might be partially because I had rolled the Fubar's opamp for the Burr Brown 627, than again, it might not.

Ultimately, I held onto the Micro Amp but returned the Micro DAC and haven't looked back since. Honestly, to my ears even the Micro Amp doesn't bring much if any improvement compared to the Fubar's amping capabilities, either. Just my opinion, but I think a lot of people on head-fi are a little too quick to look down on or simply ignore many/most of the sub$500 DACs/amps/DAC-amp combos.

Anyways, now with the addition of the AH-D2000 to my hi-fi family, I just recently split things up into two rigs;
- Primary Rig is the Fubar III is still hooked up to my computer and now serves as the both the DAC and amp
- In the bedroom for my secondary rig I have a Sansa Clip+ plugged into the Micro Amp
... I go back and forth switching the HD-650 and the AH-D2000 between both rigs. And yes, I think both my rigs sound fantastic; it was a very pleasant surprise discovering the wonderful sound I get from the Sansa Clip+.

I'm in the middle of moving, but once I get settled in my new place I'll post some pictures of rigs in their new home.

Cheers.

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #3,995 of 41,293

Quote:

Looking to step up from the Fubar III, I originally purchased Headroom's "micro stack" aka the micro DAC & amp combo.

However I wasn't hearing much of a difference between using the Headroom DAC and using the Fubar III to feed the Micro Amp. It wasn't a matter of wishful thinking because I had spent the money and I wanted to hear the difference, but those differences just weren't making themselves apparent to my ears. Perhaps that might be partially because I had rolled the Fubar's opamp for the Burr Brown 627, than again, it might not.

Ultimately, I held onto the Micro Amp but returned the Micro DAC and haven't looked back since. Honestly, to my ears even the Micro Amp doesn't bring much if any improvement compared to the Fubar's amping capabilities, either. Just my opinion, but I think a lot of people on head-fi are a little too quick to look down on or simply ignore many/most of the sub$500 DACs/amps/DAC-amp combos.

Anyways, now with the addition of the AH-D2000 to my hi-fi family, I just recently split things up into two rigs;
- Primary Rig is the Fubar III is still hooked up to my computer and now serves as the both the DAC and amp
- In the bedroom for my secondary rig I have a Sansa Clip+ plugged into the Micro Amp
... I go back and forth switching the HD-650 and the AH-D2000 between both rigs. And yes, I think both my rigs sound fantastic; it was a very pleasant surprise discovering the wonderful sound I get from the Sansa Clip+.

I'm in the middle of moving, but once I get settled in my new place I'll post some pictures of rigs in their new home.

Cheers.

ALways thought about investing in the clip but I honestly listen to 90% of my music from my laptop so it wouldn't be worth the investment. I'm a huge Bukowski fan. What are your favorite works by him?

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #3,997 of 41,293
i really need to get a woo audio stand, they look so cool...

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #3,998 of 41,293

Quote:

Cheers.

Sure my K501 sounds better out of my $1000 DAC and $1000 amp. However plugging it into a $100 Creative USB sound card is far from bad. In internet forums like this, the newbies who exagerate what they hear tend to be numerous and loud.  

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #4,001 of 41,293

Quote:
It's not limited to noobs...
smile.gif

I had a Clip+ and now I have a Zip. I continue to be impressed with the SQ out of these little things. Sandisk knocked it out of the park!

Agreed. Say what you will, but if you ever hear another $30 player that sounds this good, please PM me 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #4,002 of 41,293

Quote:
Agreed. Say what you will, but if you ever hear another $30 player that sounds this good, please PM me 
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a little DIY desktop amp I won from a raffle at a head-fi meet. I plugged the Zip into the amp with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm adapter and plugged in my HD 600's and let me tell you, this little system sounds as good as many full-size systems. I guarantee in a double-blind test, I bet this system is indistinguishable from many $1000 systems.

PM sent!

EDIT: My 5th Gen iPod (the one with the Wolfson WM8758 DAC chip) also does very well. I personally think stand-alone DACs are highly overrated.

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #4,003 of 41,293
Thanks for the info. ^^

Quote:
metalsonata, 
It's only My opinion so I think you should seek for some more opinions on this matter before buying HE-500... About orthos, LCD-2 is also good to my ears with Phonitor, also my friend has Phonitor and LCD-2 and it's his favorite rig (he also own some Acustic Arts DAC on 1704... so he like "dark" sound)

Jan 30, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #4,005 of 41,293
I still would stray away from using any of the HiFiMan ortho's with either the Auditor/Phonitor. Those amps have an output impedance of 10Ohms and can eb used with headphones at 80Ohms or higher. Remember output impedance multiplied by 10. Both amps are more aimed for high voltage output rather than current. That's why they clip really fast with low impedance loads. They struggle to output the current required. All HiFiMan orthos, except the HE-400, are low sensitivity and low impedance. They need a lot of current for them to sound good. 

Anyways I'll be posoting new pics soon for my set-up. Oh and my Soul Reaver headphone stand is kind of on hold right now. Too much going on in my life to work on it at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back