Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Sep 25, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #2,131 of 41,128
Quote:

I saw the Electric Landlady album in my local record store yesterday; it was the first time I laid my eyes on it and in relation to it, I LOL'd quite a bit.

Cool setup re. your gear, too, man - nice dedication to head-fi!

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #2,132 of 41,128

Quote:
I highly recommend the LCD-2 rev2. 
o2smile.gif

Me too, can't recommend it highly enough.
o2smile.gif

Still the bedroom rig, but moved from the nightstand to a temporary piece of furniture until I can get a nicer bedside setup going.
Added the Woo stand and have been using the Marantz as a DAC more, another reason to get it close to a desk with a computer... LCD2's cable is still plenty long enough to reach where I want when I want to listen in bed, so, temporary, but util.

Dang this is a crummy pic, sorry folks.

Sep 25, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #2,133 of 41,128
How do you like the LCD-2 with the Lavry? I'm looking at this kind of setup, but I'm afraid that it will be a bit too tame especially with rock music. Therefore my sights currently are set on the Burson.

Quote:
I recently discovered that my old DVD player provides 24-bit/96 kHz audio playback, so I made me a simple new rig. 
o2smile.gif

Source: Marantz DV4100
-> JPS Ultra Conductor Toslink Optical Digital cable ->
DAC/Amp: Lavry DA10
-> ALO Reference 8 Silver / Copper cable ->
Headphone: Audez'e LCD-2 rev2

Sep 25, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #2,134 of 41,128

Is that furniture from OfficeMax? Looks like something we sell. Also...after my LCD 2 purchase I have to get one of those stands. I've been putting it off for almost a year. I just need to bite the bullet and get one. 

Told myself I wouldn't get back into the high end, but I can't stay away. Nothing puts a smile on my face like music. 
Quote:
o2smile.gif

Still the bedroom rig, but moved from the nightstand to a temporary piece of furniture until I can get a nicer bedside setup going.
Added the Woo stand and have been using the Marantz as a DAC more, another reason to get it close to a desk with a computer... LCD2's cable is still plenty long enough to reach where I want when I want to listen in bed, so, temporary, but util.

Sep 25, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #2,135 of 41,128
I have so many things to consider with my upcoming LCD 2 plans. What I really want is a W4S DAC-1 paired with an SPL Phonitor...but that's about twice the cost of the Burson. 

The Burson is at the top of my list as of now because of the price vs my other ideas.

Quote:
How do you like the LCD-2 with the Lavry? I'm looking at this kind of setup, but I'm afraid that it will be a bit too tame especially with rock music. Therefore my sights currently are set on the Burson.

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #2,136 of 41,128
     Quote:

I think the DA10/LCD-2 is a great pairing. I wouldn't call the it tame with rock music, as it has plenty of PRaT and detail that makes for a satisfying combination. It works very well with most music. 

I compared the DA10 to the HA-160D in my recent review of the Burson HA-160D (link). You may find the review interesting and insightful.

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #2,137 of 41,128
Is that a Marantz SA8004? It's the only one I know of that can be used as a standalone DAC.

P.S. The pic is fine IMHO, great setup!

Quote:
o2smile.gif

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #2,139 of 41,128

Quote:
     Quote:

I think the DA10/LCD-2 is a great pairing. I wouldn't call the it tame with rock music, as it has plenty of PRaT and detail that makes for a satisfying combination. It works very well with most music. 

I compared the DA10 to the HA-160D in my recent review of the Burson HA-160D (link). You may find the review interesting and insightful.

Thanks for the link - that was a very good review! I had a similar opinion of the Burson/LCD-2 combination but am not articulate enough (or a skilled enough listener) to express it as well as you did.

I spent several weeks this summer auditioning headphone equipment and after sampling all the popular choices (AKG, Denon, Grado, etc.) my search ultimately narrowed down to the HD650 and LCD-2 R2. Ultimately, I didn't choose either one because they both sounded a little too "lush" and "dark" for my tastes, but after reading your narrative, I see it may also have been the choice of amps I used when auditioning them. The Burson and the Shiit Asgard are the amps I spent the most time with and I think for my tastes, they weren't a good match for the headphones. I think they are both cut from the same lush cloth.

I ended up with the HD600 and Peachtree Nova and am very pleased with that combination, but I am still tantalized by the LCD-2. The 600 sounds a little lean down low sometimes but it's a trade-off I can easily live with for the rest of the 600's delightful qualities. After reading your review though, I will definitely revisit the Audeze at some point in the future.

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #2,140 of 41,128
Thanks! The review was great and in a way affirmed my opinions about Lavry. It's more of a professional tool while Burson is all about euphony.

Quote:
     Quote:

Sep 25, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #2,141 of 41,128
     Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the link - that was a very good review! I had a similar opinion of the Burson/LCD-2 combination but am not articulate enough (or a skilled enough listener) to express it as well as you did.

I spent several weeks this summer auditioning headphone equipment and after sampling all the popular choices (AKG, Denon, Grado, etc.) my search ultimately narrowed down to the HD650 and LCD-2 R2. Ultimately, I didn't choose either one because they both sounded a little too "lush" and "dark" for my tastes, but after reading your narrative, I see it may also have been the choice of amps I used when auditioning them. The Burson and the Shiit Asgard are the amps I spent the most time with and I think for my tastes, they weren't a good match for the headphones. I think they are both cut from the same lush cloth.

I ended up with the HD600 and Peachtree Nova and am very pleased with that combination, but I am still tantalized by the LCD-2. The 600 sounds a little lean down low sometimes but it's a trade-off I can easily live with for the rest of the 600's delightful qualities. After reading your review though, I will definitely revisit the Audeze at some point in the future.

I enjoyed the HD600 when I had one, and would be interested in hearing the HD600 with Burson HA-160D, due to the impactful bass presentation of the Burson, which I think could synergize nicely with the HD600.

If the LCD-2 rev2/HA-160D was my main headphone rig, I would most probably use an aftermarket headphone cable with it. I found there to be a lack of treble extension with the stock-cabled rev2/HA-160D, but the ALO Ref 8 generally increased the clarity and treble extension of the rev2/HA-160D in a way I found really satisfying.

Sep 25, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #2,144 of 41,128

Sep 25, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #2,145 of 41,128
Here's Deck-Fi.   Great, warm day here in Western NY.  Macbook w/Bithead stuck to it. I'm liking the computer audio stuff.  HD600s/Cardas and a Blue Moon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back