Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 29, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #392 of 41,121
It's a Kimber Kable extender - it leads right to my Beyers. 

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #393 of 41,121
Have you made it by yourself the cable?? and is it "better" as others? I am asking because the cable itself is more expensive as a "normal" one..

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #394 of 41,121

Quote:
Have you made it by yourself the cable?? and is it "better" as others? I am asking because the cable itself is more expensive as a "normal" one..

No - I purchased it on Headroom about a year or so ago for probably $75-$80. It looks as though they no longer sell the Kimber brand. It's just a 10 foot headphone extension cable that my Beyers (with stock cables) plug into.

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #395 of 41,121

Quote:
Quote:

No - I purchased it on Headroom about a year or so ago for probably $75-$80. It looks as though they no longer sell the Kimber brand. It's just a 10 foot headphone extension cable that my Beyers (with stock cables) plug into.

Thanks.. I was asking because in Germany I can buy it as raw cable and I am wondering why it is more expensive..maybe the brand..:)..Actually I reterminated my Beyers with Mogami Star Quad and it is really an improvement in contrast to the the stock cable.

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #397 of 41,121

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.. I was asking because in Germany I can buy it as raw cable and I am wondering why it is more expensive..maybe the brand..:)..Actually I reterminated my Beyers with Mogami Star Quad and it is really an improvement in contrast to the the stock cable.

I'd like to re-cable both of my Beyers someday - but I'm not capable on my own so I would need to send it out. 

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #398 of 41,121
uhhhh..I dont know your capabilities but this isnt a hard job if you know how to solder and to use a multimeter. I dont think that you have to send them out
As you have seen I am using a normal microphone cable instead of the stock cable, in detail a better shielding one and it is really an improvement IMO. I have ordered it at Redco and the plugs in Germany. Further I soldered the coil wire this week because it was broken unfortunately and now the 990's work like a beast..:) . To sum up, I think that you shouldnt have fear when recable them..just try it..:)

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #399 of 41,121

Quote:
uhhhh..I dont know your capabilities but this isnt a hard job if you know how to solder and to use a multimeter. I dont think that you have to send them out
As you have seen I am using a normal microphone cable instead of the stock cable, in detail a better shielding one and it is really an improvement IMO. I have ordered it at Redco and the plugs in Germany. Further I soldered the coil wire this week because it was broken unfortunately and now the 990's work like a beast..:) . To sum up, I think that you shouldnt have fear when recable them..just try it..:)

Ditto. It's very simple.

Jan 29, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #400 of 41,121
Wasn't there a story about Jena labs screwing up an RD-10 recabling?

Quote:
Quote:

Ditto. It's very simple.

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #401 of 41,121

Quote:
What the hell. It's awesome peaking at everyone's gear.

This setup looks amazing, but since I'm a noob... (and would like to know more things)
I would like to ask some questions, (not particularly about this setup) about what is IN the picture right here,..

So I circled the three different components (in different colours),

So my question is... what is that red, blue and green thing I just circled? What are they called?

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #402 of 41,121
On the right you have the Cambridge Audio DACMagic, which converts digital audio from a PC or CD player to analog audio so that it can be played back with headphones. The red and blue are the headphone amplifier (A Little Dot MK IV) to drive the headphones (A DAC without a built in amplifier cannot do this alone). The blue things are the vacuum tubes, which are used to amplify the signal through the amplifier. (They were mostly used in the days before transistors and integrated circuits, but live on in the world of high end audio.)

Wasn't there a story about Jena labs screwing up an RD-10 recabling?

Quote:
Quote:

Ditto. It's very simple.

Yep.

(I'm assuming you mean MDR-R10s)

http://apuresound.com/rtr.html

Jan 29, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #404 of 41,121

Quote:
Why is it needed to convert digital audio to analog audio? Couldn't we simply connect the amplifier straight to the PC?

The DACs in computers aren't very good.  If you have Foobar or Windows 7, you can have the computer run it around the internal DAC into your own.  It improves the signal quite a bit, and generally aids in squeezing every last bit of detail out of your cans.  I know my D7000s have improved by leaps and bounds with my Nuforce HDP.

Jan 29, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #405 of 41,121

Quote:
Why is it needed to convert digital audio to analog audio? Couldn't we simply connect the amplifier straight to the PC?

Because the PC sound card that performs that Digital to Analog conversion in your scenario is typically really BAD sounding in relation to an outboard Digital to Analog converter (DAC).  Switching from my PC's soundcard to an outboard DAC has made a bigger difference in the sound of my system than any other electronic change.

EDIT:  Damn!  Too slow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back