Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 14, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #39,916 of 41,119
The case of the amp and psu boxes are only 90-100*f ~ as the heat vents from the filaments. Still there are some inherent risks when dealing with this level of power. The pull from the wall is 240w ⚡

To be fair the average gaming computer is like 3x that amount.

Interesting insight though.

Jan 14, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #39,917 of 41,119
F80ECDEC-473E-476C-BB87-11D73258B6E8.jpeg

Grado 1888 Double Barrel Reserva (LTD Edition); Grado RA-1 (twin 9V battery); Rotel RCD-1572 MK II. 🙂👍🙂

Jan 15, 2024 at 1:30 AM Post #39,919 of 41,119
Yes...it so for a couple of years. Circumstances....I usually listen to them sitting on the carpet, nearfield. Quite good I must say.

IMG_1043.jpeg
It must be really good. I heard the micr/o matched with primaluna and it was one of the best bookshelf speaker I have ever heard. Shocked me how big they sounded considering their size.

Jan 15, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #39,920 of 41,119
Interesting. I played around with "resonance tuning" a lot in my 2-channel system, and as strange as it may seem, that was mostly back in the '90's too. 🤣

Just as important (IME) to what goes on top of the component (for damping) is what the component sits on. The heavy/mass approach is one way, and then to go totally contrarian is the light/rigid approach. Below is my 70 pound Jota amp on a Neuance shelf that itself weighs less than a pound. Very light, incredibly rigid. I had a 3" thick slab of maple butcher block under the amp until I put the Neuance in. Soundstage opened up, more air and space in the recording venue, and a more natural presentation overall. Not a night and day kind of thing, but audible and an improvement in all respects.

Neuance4.jpg

I haven't seen another Neuance platform in years. 20+ years ago, he made me a small one for my EAR 834P.

Jan 15, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #39,921 of 41,119
Today just got the zmf caldera. Happy 😊

IMG-20240115-WA0010.jpg

Jan 15, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #39,923 of 41,119
Stand upgrade: Grumpy Goose obtained!

Other than cleaning and testing a pair of backup power tubes, I’m set.
Sonic/musical pleasure galore.
Comfortable as all get-out, too.
👍❤️😊

IMG_3391.jpeg

Jan 15, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #39,924 of 41,119

👍❤️😊

IMG_3391.jpeg
You could cook a pizza 🍕 in there 🤤
Now for real, isn't it getting too hot?

Jan 15, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #39,925 of 41,119
You could cook a pizza 🍕 in there 🤤
Now for real, isn't it getting too hot?
Well, you gotta cook somewhere…

Actually, I leave the door open when I use the Woo amp, and it’s fine. The cabinet has the back removed, so with the front open there is plenty of airflow.

Jan 15, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #39,926 of 41,119

👍❤️😊

IMG_3391.jpeg

The perfect setup. Congrats on the Grump Goose - very hard to come by. Be sure to post a photo for us when you finish that puzzle (we'll give you 10 days) :wink:

Jan 15, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #39,927 of 41,119
It must be really good. I heard the micr/o matched with primaluna and it was one of the best bookshelf speaker I have ever heard. Shocked me how big they sounded considering their size.
Actually I almost gave up on speakers (I had before Avantgarde, Wolf von Langa...) because I won't have a proper place for set-up for a couple of years. Never thought that I can achieve a good sound from this situation.

These small speakers (albeit definitely not bass monsters) are doing wonders. Human voice, acoustic music is absolute first class. Ghaza is simpy magic with them. They also have the speed for electronic music, so they are not completly dead there. Really refined, open and lively sound. Electronic plays the part too of course. Expensive, but very-very good.

Jan 15, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #39,928 of 41,119
Actually I almost gave up on speakers (I had before Avantgarde, Wolf von Langa...) because I won't have a proper place for set-up for a couple of years. Never thought that I can achieve a good sound from this situation.

These small speakers (albeit definitely not bass monsters) are doing wonders. Human voice, acoustic music is absolute first class. Ghaza is simpy magic with them. They also have the speed for electronic music, so they are not completly dead there. Really refined, open and lively sound. Electronic plays the part too of course. Expensive, but very-very good.
have you tried hiding a subwoofer somewhere in the room to cross with them?

Jan 15, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #39,929 of 41,119
have you tried hiding a subwoofer somewhere in the room to cross with them?
Thought about it, but the thing is, that these speakers are truly balanced in their own way. I had before subs, the Avantgardes had also active bass...and I can not see how I would not ruin them. But maybe one day...right now I do not miss more bass really. If I listen to more bass heavy music (electronic, hip-hop) then I just use my VO with the ZMF/Decware OTL. Very hard to get a bass quality like that in a real world room.

Jan 15, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #39,930 of 41,119
The perfect setup. Congrats on the Grump Goose - very hard to come by. Be sure to post a photo for us when you finish that puzzle (we'll give you 10 days) :wink:
Actually, the added component (Tung-Sol 5998 power tubes) is only a backup set… so the setup is already all good. 👍👍

Woohoo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back