Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Nov 10, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #39,241 of 41,119
1000001798.jpg

here's much a much nicer pic of my setup. really loving this after using a bottlehead crack and hd650s for years.

the baldur's gate 3 audio really sounds awesome through this

Nov 10, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #39,242 of 41,119
Nov 10, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #39,245 of 41,119
My head-fi setup is now the listening and test lab of euphonicreview.com, it is more in flux than ever. Here is what is currently in the test lab, listening area, and control room for the main home theater and other A/V throughout home.

SMSL D300 DAC that I just can't let go of with its unique ROHM chip.

SMSL SP400 THX Amp

Signalyst Custom Build pure-DSD DAC. ( it has a very low output voltage. I bought the SMSL SP400 to amplify it, but the gain structure of the SMSL is set way low. The same gain setting on the iFi ZEN CAN is ear bleeding with the same input voltage. Something is amiss on the input gain as spec'd by SMSL. With a NORMAL output voltage source, it gets into its groove easily and sounds pretty darn amazing. So detailed yet so easy on the ears. No fatigue at all.)

iFi ZEN CAN as mentioned

iFi ZEN STREAM Network Interface

iFi iDSD PRO with 4.4mm balanced outputs

RME ADI-2 PROFS R Black Edition AD/DA

----

hard to see, but a suite of E1DA measurement devices for evaluation of everything but the very most highest of end DACS, preamps, etc. I have the COSMOS ADC, COSMOS APU (two actually), and the COSMOS SCALER

----

Same trusty headphones as aways... Sennheiser HD650, HiFI Man HE-650, FOCAL Clear MG Pro

----

Some other trusty things, some old some new. Several replacement PSU's, including a couple linear ones. Couple PC's, a still virtually good as new Panasonic 50" Plasma TV bought new by me in 2009, going as strong as ever with just a stunning, unique, and NATURAL picture compared to today's super-duper-uber bright and overly blue-cast sets. Our relation ends by whoever dies first lol :)

IMG_8008.jpg

IMG_8010.jpg

IMG_8009.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #39,246 of 41,119
Nov 10, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #39,247 of 41,119
Since we're showing off our vinyl rigs...

IMG_2674.jpeg

IMG_2664.jpeg

Nov 11, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #39,248 of 41,119
My head-fi setup is now the listening and test lab of euphonicreview.com, it is more in flux than ever. Here is what is currently in the test lab, listening area, and control room for the main home theater and other A/V throughout home.

SMSL D300 DAC that I just can't let go of with its unique ROHM chip.

SMSL SP400 THX Amp

Signalyst Custom Build pure-DSD DAC. ( it has a very low output voltage. I bought the SMSL SP400 to amplify it, but the gain structure of the SMSL is set way low. The same gain setting on the iFi ZEN CAN is ear bleeding with the same input voltage. Something is amiss on the input gain as spec'd by SMSL. With a NORMAL output voltage source, it gets into its groove easily and sounds pretty darn amazing. So detailed yet so easy on the ears. No fatigue at all.)

iFi ZEN CAN as mentioned

iFi ZEN STREAM Network Interface

iFi iDSD PRO with 4.4mm balanced outputs

RME ADI-2 PROFS R Black Edition AD/DA

----

hard to see, but a suite of E1DA measurement devices for evaluation of everything but the very most highest of end DACS, preamps, etc. I have the COSMOS ADC, COSMOS APU (two actually), and the COSMOS SCALER

----

Same trusty headphones as aways... Sennheiser HD650, HiFI Man HE-650, FOCAL Clear MG Pro

----

Some other trusty things, some old some new. Several replacement PSU's, including a couple linear ones. Couple PC's, a still virtually good as new Panasonic 50" Plasma TV bought new by me in 2009, going as strong as ever with just a stunning, unique, and NATURAL picture compared to today's super-duper-uber bright and overly blue-cast sets. Our relation ends by whoever dies first lol :)

IMG_8008.jpg

IMG_8010.jpg

IMG_8009.jpg
of course I meant hifi man HE-560. ooops

Nov 11, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #39,249 of 41,119
Since we're showing off our vinyl rigs...

IMG_2674.jpeg

IMG_2664.jpeg
if I could do it over again, I would have just paid the extra money and gone with a P6 (sans cart. I prefer AT carts for their tracking and their latest under 1k MC's are amazing and work extremely well with the Rega.) Instead I went with the RP3 in 2015 with plans to upgrade it. So far I have upgraded the subplatter, bearing, oil type.. added a isolation base, and added the latest speed control with the reference belt. The belt is no joke. It makes repeatable and large improvements in wow/flutter.

But with all that current expense, I have sort of a P6 minus. I am committed at this point, and plan on adding a full delrin platter, and counterweight upgrade sometime in future.

But the P6 imo is THE way to go with REGA, assuming your price point is under 2k, its probably the way to go period. The only way I would recommend anything else from Rega would be the P8 or especially P10 if one could stretch the budget that far.

Great looking player!

Nov 11, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #39,253 of 41,119
A lime green LP!!

(think I just went blind...)
It's actually crystal clear. The green is coming from the camera angle. I have a couple that are like that. Yes - Fragile is also clear and another incredibly sounding album!

Nov 11, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #39,254 of 41,119
if I could do it over again, I would have just paid the extra money and gone with a P6 (sans cart. I prefer AT carts for their tracking and their latest under 1k MC's are amazing and work extremely well with the Rega.) Instead I went with the RP3 in 2015 with plans to upgrade it. So far I have upgraded the subplatter, bearing, oil type.. added a isolation base, and added the latest speed control with the reference belt. The belt is no joke. It makes repeatable and large improvements in wow/flutter.

But with all that current expense, I have sort of a P6 minus. I am committed at this point, and plan on adding a full delrin platter, and counterweight upgrade sometime in future.

But the P6 imo is THE way to go with REGA, assuming your price point is under 2k, its probably the way to go period. The only way I would recommend anything else from Rega would be the P8 or especially P10 if one could stretch the budget that far.

Great looking player!
I paid $1,400 for the P6 with an Exact cartridge and another grand for the Apheta 3. I haven't done a single upgrade on it (aside from the Apheta), and the only add-ons are an acrylic platter mat and the brass Pro-Ject weight. FWIW, I think weights are worth it, and you can get the Fluance for about $50 on Amazon. The Pro-Ject was an Ambien purchase and cost $120, but it's sooooo pretty...

I have a buddy who's a Rega dealer and says that unless you go all the way to the 10, the 6 is definitely the rig to beat. He says to not even bother with the upgrades as they don't get you enough performance enhancements for the money. Besides, it's more money for vinyl... :D

Nov 11, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #39,255 of 41,119
1000001798.jpg

here's much a much nicer pic of my setup. really loving this after using a bottlehead crack and hd650s for years.

the baldur's gate 3 audio really sounds awesome through this
What gets more airtime, the Aeolus or the Atrium?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back