Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Mar 22, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #23,596 of 41,130
I love it. Probably only Berkeley DAC Series 2, but it's cheaper... I like Debussy better than Berkeley, it's more "my sound", clear, fast, neutral, very detailed and airy... BTW before Debussy I had Linn Akurate DS/0/D.

Have you heard the Chord DAVE by any chance? Thanks for the help :)

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #23,597 of 41,130
Sold my Violectric V281 then missed "The Beast" so bought another. The Manley Absolute is on top of the Vilectric. Two great amps.....
The KEF LS50 is a rear channel speaker for my video. It's not part of the audio system

Nice setup. I agree, the Violectric 281 rocks, `I love mine too. I use my Aries Cerat SET amp when I get serious though.
Is that the Roon Nucleus I see? How does it compare to the Mac Mini you have? The Mini can be 'maxed' with the 12V DC conversion and a nice LPS, plus run it off a power regenerator as well.

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #23,598 of 41,130

I have had the DAVE at home for a full day demo recently. I pitched it against my then Audio Note UK DAC 5, and it was very good, transparent and wide soundstage. IMO it worked better on HPs than on my speaker amp setup compared to my DAC 5. I also demo'd the CH Precision C1, Lampizator Golden Gate, a borrowed a TotalDAC 6. But ended up buying the Aries Cerat Kassandra as it sounded the most realistic while retaining the detail but is super smooth. No digital about it.
If I was looking for a 10K or less DAC, I would say the DAVE is a good choice. Pitch it against the Lampizator Atlantic. TotalDAC was good, but the gain stage in it holds it back IMO.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #23,599 of 41,130
Sorry, but never heard any Chord at all... Not heard many top DACs actually, Debussy, Linn Akurate DS/0/D, Berkeley DAC Series 1/2, Accustic Arts DAC1 MkII, that is probably all...

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #23,601 of 41,130
Nice setup. I agree, the Violectric 281 rocks, `I love mine too. I use my Aries Cerat SET amp when I get serious though.
Is that the Roon Nucleus I see? How does it compare to the Mac Mini you have? The Mini can be 'maxed' with the 12V DC conversion and a nice LPS, plus run it off a power regenerator as well.

I have an Uptone Audio modified Macmini with their linear fan control and the JPS-2 LPS. The three HGST (G-Drives) are running soft raid in mirrored Raid 1. Beneath all the drives is an EMM Labs DA2 and beneath that there's a Manley Steelhead Phono pre. My plans are to save for the Roon Nucleus and Lumin U1. I'll also be selling my TT and Steelhead. Bought it five years ago and played it for a few days and it hasn't been on since. The Steelhead isn't even plugged in. I'm lazy and don't like flippin records. I have 3TB of DSD files and hires PCM files so why bother with vinyl. My amp is the VTL S-400 and i have B&W 802 Diamonds. Thanks for asking.
**** the bummer today is the IR doesn't work on the V281 relay controlled volume and no other functions work via the remote. It's going back to Germany. I'm bummed
IMG_1027 2.jpeg
IMG_6033.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #23,602 of 41,130
I have an Uptone Audio modified Macmini with their linear fan control and the JPS-2 LPS. The three HGST (G-Drives) are running soft raid in mirrored Raid 1. Beneath all the drives is an EMM Labs DA2 and beneath that there's a Manley Steelhead Phono pre. My plans are to save for the Roon Nucleus and Lumin U1. I'll also be selling my TT and Steelhead. Bought it five years ago and played it for a few days and it hasn't been on since. The Steelhead isn't even plugged in. I'm lazy and don't like flippin records. I have 3TB of DSD files and hires PCM files so why bother with vinyl. My amp is the VTL S-400 and i have B&W 802 Diamonds. Thanks for asking.
**** the bummer today is the IR doesn't work on the V281 relay controlled volume and no other functions work via the remote. It's going back to Germany. I'm bummed

Great photos! Original?

Mar 22, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #23,604 of 41,130
Great photos! Original?
Thank you Pharmaboy, Not sure if you meant the photos or the photos? lol If you meant the wall mounted photos they're by Herman Leonard.

http://hermanleonard.com/
He had an interesting life. He was a NYC fashion photographer. He shot Jazz pictures back in the 1950s in all the 52nd street smoky clubs. His fashion work took him to Paris where his career took off. He was hired by the old time famous actor Marlon Brando as his personal photographer. Herman moved to Bali to work with Brando. Living in Bali with no electricity and running water but a beautiful paradise his wife took their daughter and left him. As Marlon faded into drugs and obesity Herman was left without a career. He then started selling his Jazz photos through a gallery in Paris, SOBE, Miami and in New Orleans where Herman came back to live his remaining years. Sixty of his photos are in the permanent collection in the Smithsonian in DC. **** He also invented backlighting with a strobe to illuminate the smoke in the clubs

After all this i hope you meant those photos and not the photos
IMG_0753.jpeg
IMG_0751.jpeg
IMG_0752.jpeg

Mar 22, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #23,605 of 41,130
Thank you Pharmaboy, Not sure if you meant the photos or the photos? lol If you meant the wall mounted photos they're by Herman Leonard.

He had an interesting life. He was a NYC fashion photographer. He shot Jazz pictures back in the 1950s in all the 52nd street smoky clubs. His fashion work took him to Paris where his career took off. He was hired by the old time famous actor Marlon Brando as his personal photographer. Herman moved to Bali to work with Brando. Living in Bali with no electricity and running water but a beautiful paradise his wife took their daughter and left him. As Marlon faded into drugs and obesity Herman was left without a career. He then started selling his Jazz photos through a gallery in Paris, SOBE, Miami and in New Orleans where Herman came back to live his remaining years. Sixty of his photos are in the permanent collection in the Smithsonian in DC. **** He also invented backlighting with a strobe to illuminate the smoke in the clubs

Those are beautiful photos--I've seen many of them before (iconic images of jazz).

You have a great deal of money on that wall. Far more to the point, a great deal of black & white aesthetic beauty.

Mar 22, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #23,606 of 41,130

Are you sure you're not Richard Branson and the avatar pic is misdirection? :wink:

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #23,609 of 41,130
My audio tower:

IMG_20190315_171524.jpg

Mar 23, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #23,610 of 41,130
My Humble System:
Current System 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back