Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Sep 14, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #22,667 of 41,122
Thank-you. It’s somehow a way to make the Z7 pretty much perfect with electronic music. The system probably excells with EDM the most?

I still need to get an AudioQuest Carbon or Cinnamon USB to complete the system. Supposedly the upgrade takes the dock to a new level of source. Strangely I’ve been in love with old-fashon redbook with a CD transport, but the Z1 and dock configuration beats it?

The aging Sony Z7 flagship headphone may look classy BUT it has a tacky nightclub tone, which somehow goes with EDM. I just need to spray some cheap cologne on the Z7s to complete the effect.

I owned the Z7s at one time. I felt rather cheap 'n' tawdry the entire time I had them.

Then again, I always felt that way...

Sep 15, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #22,669 of 41,122
I'd be happy to hear your impressions about the Taurus. How neutral is it? The output power is quite amazing but how do you find the treble? Is it not too strong?
I like my HDVA600 setup a lot but because it got trashed lately (and that's ok), I decided to buy one more amp to hear what the fuzz is all about.

Initially I was not blown away by the Taurus, based on all the praise it got and compared to my HDVA600 setup. But that's mainly because I expected a night and day difference. Still, the Taurus is better. It has a bit more bass, meat on the bones and sparkle. I like it, especially for pop and rock music. I hate to use these words but some may say that a veil has been lifted. Not a shocking one but stil...

For country, jazz, singer-songwriter, folk and so on however, I'm not sure I prefer the Taurus over the HDVA600 at this moment but I expect I will. That being said, I'm glad I bought the Taurus. I'm now more able to put things into "the right" perspective.

I am treble sensitive and altho the treble is a bit more present on the Taurus it does not give me fatique (yesterday I had a 5 hour straight listening session).:L3000:

For comparison;

Asgard 2 + Bifrost 4490 = unlistenable (treble)
Asgard 2 + 2Qute = unlistenable (treble)
HDVA600 + Bifrost 4490 = boring as hell
HVDA600 + 2Qute = unlistenable (treble)
HVDA600 + Qutest = unlistenable (treble)
HVDA600 + Gumby = amazing

And after a few more days I think it will be:

HVDA600 + Gumby = amazing-
Taurus + Gumby = amazing+

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #22,670 of 41,122
732B0840-6938-4D28-A6B0-2BBD4EA9C6EB.jpeg
62C137E6-59A9-41DD-ADF9-C81D59A637A8.jpeg
D8172136-73BF-4EDC-89C5-E8E81F08ABE0.jpeg
I owned the Z7s at one time. I felt rather cheap 'n' tawdry the entire time I had them.

Then again, I always felt that way...

Quite fancy to look at, but a Tijuana nightclub for a soul.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #22,672 of 41,122
Z7s are beautifully designed & built--a bit smaller in person than I expected, but obviously a 100% evolved closed back design.

Sound was also different than I expected: rather subtle. Sounded quiet/muted at lower volumes, but when you really crank them, a different headphone comes out. Really not a head-banger, though.

I ended up selling them, but that was 80%-90% because I was moving away from closed back HPs in general at the time; also because I was fixated on some other F.S. goodie.

Sep 15, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #22,674 of 41,122
What a clean setup!
Thank you but it is already old news because I removed the HDVA600, ahahaha.

I'm a low volume listener. On a low volume (as I used to listen), the gap between the HDVA600 and the Taurus is not that big. With accoustic music I actually prefer the HDVA600. But as soon as I turn up the volume a bit the gap widens, like a lot! Like...holly {beep} I want to hear my complete music collection like this...

However, I can't sell my HDVA600 yet, and maybe I never will. As I said, I must listen at a higher volume than I actually prefer. If I can't get used to that I will keep both. The Taurus to really rock and the HDVA600 for longer, more relaxed listening sessions. First world problems...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back