Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Apr 8, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #19,892 of 41,120

My Meier Cantate.2 is out of commission until my BUF634Ts arrive (jeez nobody stocks them locally, unbelievable) but I snagged this Rega Ear (v2) for a really low price (literally what was left of my spendable cash after I ordered the parts and arranged for shipping). The verdict so far: as long as I have ReplayGain running on Neutron Music Player at -12dB, it's good: tonally only a touch warmer than but also slightly lacking bite to some of the midrange percussion vs the Cantate. Otherwise, the volume knob is usable only until 9:00 (and even then that's like for a few songs, and then I'll get a headache).

The pot is actually quite good despite the gain, so a lot of people would miss how bad the imbalance really is. I couldn't detect it with music but felt something was off but can't quite put a finger on it; checked the specs, found it had +28dB gain (what the hell was Rega thinking?!); ran a test track and "LEFT CHANNEL!!!" was shouting vs "right channel."

Apr 11, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #19,894 of 41,120

I de-anodized the black cover of my D100 so that it would match the Burson

Apr 11, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #19,895 of 41,120
[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

I de-anodized the black cover of my D100 so that it would match the Burson

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

Very nice - good job!

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #19,896 of 41,120
The rack arrived.  Still a work-in-progress.  Not wired up yet.  Still need to get two new shelves.  And something like the McIntosh MHA100 Headphone Amplifier.  :D  

I appreciate how the rear rack that I don't actually need (tho if I get the Mc amp or other comparable top of the heap amp it'll be very heavy and I'll want to hook-up to the back rack ... but anyway ...), it can serve excellent duty as a headphone stand.  Like that a lot.

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #19,898 of 41,120
  The front desk

updated pic of The Sonic Satori Personal Audio Lab comin...

Whoa, I wasn't even aware that Audeze had started making amps. I guess I've been falling behind on product announcements lately.

Apr 13, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #19,901 of 41,120
@MrTechAgent

That is an impressive setup mate, well done! 

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #19,903 of 41,120
Holy...that is one extensive collection of mid-fi (and some TOTL) gear. I love the room in general, too.

FWIW, as a point of interest, in the full-range, dedicated room world we refer to mass produced, Best Buy type of gear as mid-fi. High-End is always defined as high-performance, price irrelevant. For example, we see HD600/650 as High-End, meaning high-performance, while this site defines the cans as mid-fi (I'm guessing) due to their cost. Quite superficial, and very telling about this market and its participants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back