Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Apr 13, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #19,906 of 41,031
FWIW, as a point of interest, in the full-range, dedicated room world we refer to mass produced, Best Buy type of gear as mid-fi. High-End is always defined as high-performance, price irrelevant. For example, we see HD600/650 as High-End, meaning high-performance, while this site defines the cans as mid-fi (I'm guessing) due to their cost. Quite superficial, and very telling about this market and its participants.

I wasn't meaning to convey anything negative with the label, and I'm aware how it's applied differently in the world of speakers. However, here on Head-Fi we typically say mid-fi in reference to the price range of about $100-$500. Neither application of the label is any more valid than the other, and just because they're defined differently for different subsets of the community doesn't mean that any particular subset should change their use of it. It may be a little confusing for those transitioning between headphones and speakers (or vice versa), but neither use of the term is invalid.

Apr 13, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #19,907 of 41,031
A few toys on loan...

Oppo HA-1, outputting balanced into Nuforce HA-200 monoblocks.

Not shown (behind laptop): Schiit Wyrd feeding NuPrime uDSD feeding coax into the Oppo

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #19,909 of 41,031
One can never have enough headphones, no matter what family members, friends and females say. 
dt880smile.png

The only thing that bothers me is that they might get dusty pretty quick if you don't clean them at least twice a week.

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #19,910 of 41,031
  One can never have enough headphones, no matter what family members, friends and females say. 
dt880smile.png

The only thing that bothers me that they might get dusty pretty quick if you don't clean them at least twice a week.

They do get dusty rather quick. 
Next level would be to convert my room to Class 10 Cleanroom 
cool.gif

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #19,912 of 41,031

Do you feel the Nuforce mono's outclass the balanced output of the Oppo? 

I do, though they are different in sound overall. The Nuforce lean to the warm side, while I find the Oppo a bit bright.

The Oppo does have a lot of power behind it, though amusingly it'll shut itself down when you crank the volume all the way (probably a safety).

Personally I'm not digging the match with my HE-6. The Oppo dac is quite bright as well, so stack those two together plus the HE-6 and it's headache inducing. I think it'd be a great match for the LCD2/3 though.

The functionality on the Oppo is fantastic though. Great interface and nice android app.

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #19,913 of 41,031

I do, though they are different in sound overall. The Nuforce lean to the warm side, while I find the Oppo a bit bright.

The Oppo does have a lot of power behind it, though amusingly it'll shut itself down when you crank the volume all the way (probably a safety).

Personally I'm not digging the match with my HE-6. The Oppo dac is quite bright as well, so stack those two together plus the HE-6 and it's headache inducing. I think it'd be a great match for the LCD2/3 though.

The functionality on the Oppo is fantastic though. Great interface and nice android app.

Thanks for the info. I've actually got the Ha-1 and a pair of LCD's and its a fantastic pairing.

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #19,915 of 41,031
New amp (M9). New DAC (NFB-1). New Subwoofer (SVS SB1000). New cans (HD800). New portable DAC (DB2)

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #19,918 of 41,031
New amp (M9). New DAC (NFB-1). New Subwoofer (SVS SB1000). New cans (HD800). New portable DAC (DB2)

I had my HD800's on yesterday and left the sub on as well by accident and thought wow the HD800 has more bass than I remebered it on this track. I was liking it when I realized the sub was on. Just reminded me of that when I saw your new setup. Enjoy your ne setup.

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #19,919 of 41,031

I had my HD800's on yesterday and left the sub on as well by accident and thought wow the HD800 has more bass than I remebered it on this track. I was liking it when I realized the sub was on. Just reminded me of that when I saw your new setup. Enjoy your ne setup.

I might try and accidentally leave the sub on as well but it's a bit hard when the kids are asleep lol

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #19,920 of 41,031
  Sweet. The pairing isn't too bright? How's the midrange?

I do not find the sound to be bright by any means from the balanced headphone output. I do find the pre-amp output to be a little bright paired with my powered Emotiva monitors but I think thats more the speaker than the pre-amp. The mid's are clean and detailed, with a very neutral presentation. If your looking for tube amp warmth or bloated mids you can look elsewhere.    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back