Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Sep 11, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #18,691 of 41,124

I'd be interested in your opinions of the LS50s too.
I've repeatedly considered and then discounted getting a pair.
I've heard many good reviews used in nearfield mode and they seem to provide enough bottom end to escape the need for a subwoofer.
My main concerns were the larg(ish) footprint and the rear port.
Like you I would be using them up close to a wall.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks.

I used to own the B&W 685 before I bought the KEF LS50. Frankly, the bowers can't match the kefs at all.

In my opinion they are perfect for near field listening. They are also the best bookshelf pair I have heard that doesn't cost more than 3000€. About the back bass port: KEF provides some material to put inside the bass port to lower the bass when they are close to a wall and it works really well. You can easily tell when the material is inside  the ports or when they aren't. It really calms the bass down a bit, which is a good thing when you are listening to bass heavy music. I never had the feeling there was too much bass though, the speaker itself is well balanced.

The big soundstage hasn't annoyed me yet when I am listening to them in nearfield but I do admit they would sound better with the proper spacing between them. Frankly though, they are an amazing pair and would recommend them to everybody. They are my favourite pair of speakers by far (so far).

I tried using them with a subwoofer at some point, but for near field listening, they provide enough bass as it is so you don't need one.

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #18,692 of 41,124
Here is my current listening station at work. I swap cans based on my listening preference(Bassy vs. Musicality). Not much, but I like it.

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #18,694 of 41,124
Little changes:

Modi was replaced by Audiolab M-dac and GE 6as7ga power tube was replaced by Tung-Sol/Chatham 5998. And some cheapo chinese headphone cable from ebay 
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #18,695 of 41,124

I used to own the B&W 685 before I bought the KEF LS50. Frankly, the bowers can't match the kefs at all.

In my opinion they are perfect for near field listening. They are also the best bookshelf pair I have heard that doesn't cost more than 3000€. About the back bass port: KEF provides some material to put inside the bass port to lower the bass when they are close to a wall and it works really well. You can easily tell when the material is inside  the ports or when they aren't. It really calms the bass down a bit, which is a good thing when you are listening to bass heavy music. I never had the feeling there was too much bass though, the speaker itself is well balanced.

The big soundstage hasn't annoyed me yet when I am listening to them in nearfield but I do admit they would sound better with the proper spacing between them. Frankly though, they are an amazing pair and would recommend them to everybody. They are my favourite pair of speakers by far (so far).

I tried using them with a subwoofer at some point, but for near field listening, they provide enough bass as it is so you don't need one.

IMO the 685 was by far the worst standmount/bookshelp/w.e. in that price range that I listened to, so I'm not surprised the Kef beat them out. :p  Sadly never heard those Kefs though, as they have some really nice reviews.  Ended up with a pair of Paradigm mini monitors and still love them to no end.

Sep 11, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #18,696 of 41,124
  Hotel room setup.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that desktop background form Five Nights At Freddy's? I've been seeing that game everywhere the last few days, and haven't got the guts to play it.

Sep 12, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #18,697 of 41,124
I told myself I wouldn't get any more headphones after my HE-6...

And then in the basement I just have boxes of old stuff...  (why yes that's a rare ortho sitting there, thanks for asking)

... I think I may have a problem guys.

Maybe start gambling or drinking or courting a high maintenance female, may cost less?:p

Sep 12, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #18,698 of 41,124
  Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that desktop background form Five Nights At Freddy's? I've been seeing that game everywhere the last few days, and haven't got the guts to play it.

Correct! It's wonderfully terrifying. 

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #18,699 of 41,124
Maybe start gambling or drinking or courting a high maintenance female, may cost less?
tongue.gif

Well after the last one that messed me up, to recover I wound up with an HE-6... so maybe not good for me in the long run?

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #18,700 of 41,124
Well after the last one that messed me up, to recover I wound up with an HE-6... so maybe not good for me in the long run?

1,300.00 buys a lot of beer.

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #18,702 of 41,124
Sep 12, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #18,703 of 41,124
Just got the V200 and V800. Coming from a Tubemagic D1, this is quite the transformation!

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #18,704 of 41,124
I might be weird here, but I've noticed a LOT of people taking way expensive amp/DAC combos and then pairing them up with rather middling headphones. I feel like I'm missing something here.

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #18,705 of 41,124
  I might be weird here, but I've noticed a LOT of people taking way expensive amp/DAC combos and then pairing them up with rather middling headphones. I feel like I'm missing something here.

Well if you're talking about me, it was because I got both the DAC and amp for $1000 including some blue dragon interconnects. I couldn't pass up on a deal like that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back