Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Aug 25, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #18,646 of 41,103
  I was browsing the forum and I saw this post. Can someone please explain what this whole setup is?

It powers the TARDIS.

Ha ha... but I think you are wrong.  It's a double-blind, A/B comparitor rig.

The TARDIS would probably be cheaper :D.

Believe it or not I think this is a "normal" rig, those are being used as monoblocks... I guess... or as stereo but biamped, or maybe triwired/biamped or similar, I need to see the back of the amps and speakers... given the crapload of cables from each amp to each speaker hard to say!  Can at least say one amp per speaker, so it is "only" a 2 ch setup :D.  The main gear that you see that really stands out (speakers and amps) are from MBL (http://www.mbl-northamerica.com/main/), where the speakers are Radialstrahler 101 mkII's I think, and the monoblocks look like 9008s or 9011's.  This I am guessing based on pics from their website, this stuff is too trite and beneath me to have ever bothered to have my servants purchase and audition on my behalf.  Dropping the sarcasm, these look to sell for a bit less than I paid for my house I think(and are probably worth more, and I am just talking about the speakers :/).  I am not sure I ever want to hear them, ignorance is bliss and all of that.  From Stereophile on mbl stuff, and I quote: "Yes, the price is other-worldy but if I won the PowerBall, this would be my exit-level, "I see God" system!":  http://www.stereophile.com/content/mbls-extreme-x-treme (review on similar speakers with better drivers, the ones in their pic above aren't even TOTL!!).

I have no idea on the other gear or the interconnects...

EDIT:  I started my post before the other one pointing to the German site, whoops.  Also, the speakers in the pic could be 101E's or mkIIs it looks like, I found a review on this model speakers from Stereophile:  http://www.stereophile.com/content/mbl-radialstrahler-101e-mkii-loudspeaker , and relief, of reliefs, these speakers are much cheaper than the $263K of the extreme model in my original link(part of the cost includes the 6 ft sub arrays), the ones in the pic posted here are "only" $70k a pair.  That is actually quite a bit cheaper than I expected after seeing the setup :D.

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #18,647 of 41,103
My little station 
smile.gif

Sennheiser HD700
Bottlehead Crack (no speedball yet) with CBS 5814A & GE 6AS7GA tubes
Schiit Modi 

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #18,650 of 41,103
I haven't heard of many people pairing the HD700 with the Crack, though obviously the HD650 is its most popular pairing. Do they actually blend well, or are you looking for something else? I'm guessing that it helps warm the HD700 up a bit more than stock.

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #18,653 of 41,103
My humble listening stop:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 2014 > A WooAudio WA 7 > Audeze LCD-2.2.

The recliner is Ekornes stressless and the small shelf that the gears are on top is some IKEA made shelf. The headphone stand comes from an Etsy store (PM me if you wanted the store name, link). I am gearing up to get a Decware and a STAX set sometime next year if nothing else cause me broke till then
beyersmile.png

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #18,656 of 41,103
It always stuns me that in these days a Woo > LCD-2 chain can be considered humble. The hobby sure has moved up in price since the pre-Orpheus days.

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #18,659 of 41,103
  Quote:

Very nice!  You don't see the hd700 so often. Is that a small dent in the mid plate of the outside of the driver?

Yep that is small dent. 

Sweet wood finish on that crack. Good job :wink:

Thanks! Dark walnut is nice 
biggrin.gif

I haven't heard of many people pairing the HD700 with the Crack, though obviously the HD650 is its most popular pairing. Do they actually blend well, or are you looking for something else? I'm guessing that it helps warm the HD700 up a bit more than stock.

I will not change out the amp, because I love Crack
biggrin.gif
 But I am looking for another dac. Want to turn up the SQ a bit. I think they do blend well. At least to my ears. Stock tubes were RCA 12AU7 and RCA6080 as usual, but I changed them to CBS5814A and GE 6AS7GA and now I am waiting for my Tung-Sol/Chatham 5998 tube. I read that 5998 and CBS5814A tubes pair really well. My stock 6080 tube was really microphonic and with stock 12au7 the HD700 had treble spike. Now it is dead silent and everything is well. 

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #18,660 of 41,103
Oh yeah pictures.

This looks pretty sleek to me. I was wondering what is the device which shows Pont 96k?

I am trying to see what is that amp/block next to the headphone? And what speakers are these? I read multiple pages after these but couldn't find any further reply from Synthax to see what those are.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back