Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Nov 30, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #15,946 of 41,132

Synergistic Tranquility Base...It runs about $2,000....There is a larger version the XL for $3,000.....

eek.gif
..... they can keep it

edit

wait a minute, how does it actually work is it just a platform to stop microphonics? what is going on here ¬

The small cap cover's the hole where you pour in the ground unicorn horn...
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #15,950 of 41,132

biggrin.gif

Grinding is a very crude method that doesn't give the granules the proper consistency that immolation does. The problem with immolation is that you lose more material in the process, thus 3X as many horns are needed. It's quite wasteful, but the laws protecting unicorns are quite archaic so it's not a problem. No price is too high for audio nirvana.

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #15,951 of 41,132

biggrin.gif

Grinding is a very crude method that doesn't give the granules the proper consistency that immolation does. The problem with immolation is that you lose more material in the process, thus 3X as many horns are needed. It's quite wasteful, but the laws protecting unicorns are quite archaic so it's not a problem. No price is too high for audio nirvana.

beerchug.gif

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #15,952 of 41,132
  All that nice woodworking... yet a plastic knob?

Yea, I bought an aluminum knob and it ended up being about 1 or 2 mm to large and rubbed up against the gain button on the right and partially covered up the light on the other side. I also realized that I need to get a black metal knob since the rest of the cables and things are black, having the silver knob just didn't look right. I'd love a wooden knob, but I don't have a lathe to make one. If you know a good place to pick one up let me know.

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #15,953 of 41,132
Could you ad-hoc a lathe with a drill? Or just go against the grain (no pun intended) and make a non-round knob.

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #15,955 of 41,132
OK, so I remembered I had a piece of Mora (the darker wood) that was the inside of the cutout I made for my wooden cups and while it's a gorgeous piece of wood, it's pretty huge. It fits, but basically takes up the entire space between the input and output (completely covering the light and gain switch, which I don't really use). I thought I would like the look of something "oversized" I'm thinking it just doesn't look right . . . Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to make this piece significantly smaller without spending about a week with a sander

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #15,957 of 41,132

Users who are viewing this thread

Back