Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jun 15, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #1,397 of 41,131
Windows 7 [not seen]+[XMPlay, Foobar, JRiver]--->Valab Dac--->Marantz 2230--->Fischer Audio FA-011--->Me
darthsmile.gif

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #1,399 of 41,131

Quote:
That's interesting. Is that a mike amp? I did a quick search on google. 

Yep it has
two mic inputs
spdif input
firewire input
balanced output 1/4"
balanced 1/4"input
spdif output
two headphone outputs.

I think the headamp part could be better but the dac part is great.

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #1,401 of 41,131

Quote:
Yep it has
two mic inputs
spdif input
firewire input
balanced output 1/4"
balanced 1/4"input
spdif output
two headphone outputs.

I think the headamp part could be better but the dac part is great.

What is the advantage to having a mic amp?

I'm going to try and post a pic later tonight!

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #1,402 of 41,131

Quote:

No advantage for me because I never use the Mic functionality.  Its for people who want to record using a Mic.

The main reasons I bought it was because of the Dice anti-jitter technology the TC Electronics uses which it licenses to Weiss.  However its a very good stand alone Dac so now thats all I use it for.

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #1,403 of 41,131
Soundcards meant for recording often have very nice DACs. It's a somewhat overlooked way to go. I used one for a long time because I wanted to record my sets from my mixer. 

There's no advantage to the features you don't use though.

Quote:

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #1,405 of 41,131
Im rather confused why you would want to downgrade or more likely a sideways move from the dacmini to the schiit dac....?? Already a few people have said it surpasses the DAC1 and others... But hey whatever floats ya boat.

Quote:
Will probably sell my DACmini once Schiit's dac is released, but here's my current rig:

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #1,406 of 41,131
Schiit will be releasing 3 DACs, and the first one will be an entry level one. Should be announced at the end of the month. Maybe he's thinking there will be some synergy there, or maybe he's talking about one of the later models they have planned.

Quote:
Im rather confused why you would want to downgrade or more likely a sideways move from the dacmini to the schiit dac....?? Already a few people have said it surpasses the DAC1 and others... But hey whatever floats ya boat.

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #1,407 of 41,131
Still... they better be darn good dacs in comparison. Once you start spending around the same mark its hard to justify the upgrade imo.

Quote:
Schiit will be releasing 3 DACs, and the first one will be an entry level one. Should be announced at the end of the month. Maybe he's thinking there will be some synergy there, or maybe he's talking about one of the later models they have planned.

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #1,408 of 41,131

Quote:
Still... they better be darn good dacs in comparison. Once you start spending around the same mark its hard to justify the upgrade imo.

Since I barely ever use the amp in the DACmini, I'd rather spend my money on a cheaper, stand alone dac.  Plus synergy with the Lyr from one of the Schiit dacs could also help

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #1,409 of 41,131
I would bet that he likes the Lyr better than the DacMini's amp, and that selling the DacMini could easily finance some new Schiit. Whoops he answered already!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back