Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Mar 21, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #12,257 of 41,463
Mar 21, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #12,259 of 41,463
Mar 22, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #12,260 of 41,463
Quote:
Good stuff thanks. Although I've imagined the HD800's to be more like the K701's? 

Brightness has never really bothered me in the past and I've owned K702, DT880, RS1 and other Grado's.. So I can't imagine either of those flagships being any more fatiguing or indeed sibilant.
I'm going to be looking for the best option for classical music mostly as this is my prefered genre. I also like jazz and electronic music. So.... ??
Anyways I've got at least another month to think about it
confused.gif

For those genres ditch both the HD800 and T1 and get a Stax system, you'll be quite satisfied :) 

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #12,261 of 41,463
Stats don't really do so well with electronic music. It lacks the impact in the bass, and the soundstage size of dynamics. Soundstage would also be a problem with classical. The only genre where stats may have an advantage is jazz, but only because that genre lacks bass impact and soundstage size by default.

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #12,262 of 41,463
* (With the exception of the 404LE and 009, for some reason)

Quote:
Stats don't really do so well with electronic music. It lacks the impact in the bass, and the soundstage size of dynamics. Soundstage would also be a problem with classical. The only genre where stats may have an advantage is jazz, but only because that genre lacks bass impact and soundstage size by default.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #12,263 of 41,463
Quote:
For those genres ditch both the HD800 and T1 and get a Stax system, you'll be quite satisfied :) 

or the he-400/500

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #12,264 of 41,463
Quote:

I swear I knew you were going to chime in on this :) I literally laughed out loud. The only dynamic that impressed me with its soundstage was the HD800 but my 404LE's soundstage is quite good and I enjoy them immensely with classical and jazz. I don't listen to electronica, in fact, I only listen to two right now: Phutureprimitive and Easily Embarassed and when it comes to delivering that bass I think my Stax do a better job than the HD800. In terms of impact like LCD-2 they may not have it, but the extension is there, I think. 

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #12,265 of 41,463
Mar 22, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #12,266 of 41,463
I swear I knew you were going to chime in on this :) I literally laughed out loud.

:wink_face:
when it comes to delivering that bass I think my Stax do a better job than the HD800. In terms of impact like LCD-2 they may not have it, but the extension is there, I think. 

Impact is superior on HD800 than LCD-2, IMO. I had both in my home 3 weeks ago, and the LCD-2 is already gone. I was actually surprised the LCD-2 was outdone on bass impact, shocked really.

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #12,267 of 41,463
Hi,

Quote:
Quote:
Good stuff thanks. Although I've imagined the HD800's to be more like the K701's? 

Brightness has never really bothered me in the past and I've owned K702, DT880, RS1 and other Grado's.. So I can't imagine either of those flagships being any more fatiguing or indeed sibilant.
I'm going to be looking for the best option for classical music mostly as this is my prefered genre. I also like jazz and electronic music. So.... ??
Anyways I've got at least another month to think about it
confused.gif

Have not heard the T1, but I did cop more than a feel of the HD800. 

I am now listening to some 40 or so years old electrostatic 'cans (Micro Seiki MX1) and they are great for most of what I listen to. I am driving them via their battery box with a fairly inexpensive headphone Amp  that includes something called XBass. This can give the 'stats a serious kick in the pants.

They are not quite the bass & scale monsters the AKG K701's turn into with XBass, but these cans with XBass at the max trump the HD800 without XBass. I found I needed the first level setting for XBass with the HD800, the MX1 need it at the max.

And this set with XBass certainly goes loud enough to play Goldfrapp's  "Rocket" at grin inducing levels and handles Saint Säen's #3 finale rather decently as well (never mind Jazz, which I do listen to a lot).

The only real drawback of 'stats (other than price) is the relative fragility of the drivers and the need for yet another box to drive them which really means they are "stationary only". On the other hand, the HD800 did not spoil me that much as to make me no longer want to listen to my other headphones, especially on the move. Yet I really no longer want to listen to them now even on the train after I got the 'stats...

Cheerio Rich

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #12,268 of 41,463

I have to disagree; my 303's are one of the best headphones I've ever heard for electronic, and I've heard quite a few.

The smooth, clear highs are quite a rush, and the bass, while a little less powerful, goes down low.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #12,269 of 41,463
The only real drawback of 'stats (other than price) is [...] the need for yet another box to drive them which really means they are "stationary only"

Not true. If you have a transportable amp like the 252 or the Xh, and get a battery similar to this one, you could use these portably if you had a bag. I plan to do exactly that. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #12,270 of 41,463
Hi,
Quote:
The only real drawback of 'stats (other than price) is [...] the need for yet another box to drive them which really means they are "stationary only"

Not true. If you have a transportable amp like the 252 or the Xh, and get a battery similar to this one, you could use these portably if you had a bag. I plan to do exactly that. 
biggrin.gif

Ahead of you.

Ordered an energiser XP-8000 to power my iCAN with, the battery box has it's own 9V battery inside... :wink:

Now I need to find rubber bands that will hold it all together and get Gazza to make some cables that will actually give me short jumpers. 

I want to keep my iDAC in the stack too... 

So a portable version of this stack -iUSB Power +XP8000:

You can blame Nirmala for giving me silly ideas...

Cheerio Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back