Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Oct 22, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #9,271 of 41,436

Sorry if the pictures are not so great.....  

STAX SR-009s on top of the desk, Headamp KGSS + Smyth Realizer (HDMI) under the desk; everything sits on a 2-shelf BrightStar amp stand.  Although I know many here are not tweek fans, the KGSS was (IMHO) transformed by the liberal application of Dynomat to the inside and Black Ravioli footers underneath.  

I am very pleased with the sound overall, but the Realizer is a (very) poor DAC, which is how it is now being used.  I am looking into outboard DACs with good Toslink interfaces (not a common thing).  In the meantime, I think I will buy a Red Wine Black Lightning Battery PSU.  I believe that power is by far the most important aspect of a component and if I upgrade the crappy wall-wart PSU for the Realizer, an outboard DAC might not even be necessary... maybe.  (BTW, the PSU on the KGSS is wonderfully over-built and it was relatively unaffected by different power cords, conditioners and other power treatments--they made some difference, but one far too small to justify their often-steep price.)

The vase is the Egg Vase by Marcel Wanders for Moooi.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #9,273 of 41,436
I think crystaIT is joking as well 

Quote:
He was just teasing, man.

that's the rat 9, right? picture is a bit dark so I'm not sure if there is any cable. 
Quote:

Sorry if the pictures are not so great.....  

STAX SR-009s on top of the desk, Headamp KGSS + Smyth Realizer (HDMI) under the desk; everything sits on a 2-shelf BrightStar amp stand.  Although I know many here are not tweek fans, the KGSS was (IMHO) transformed by the liberal application of Dynomat to the inside and Black Ravioli footers underneath.  

I am very pleased with the sound overall, but the Realizer is a (very) poor DAC, which is how it is now being used.  I am looking into outboard DACs with good Toslink interfaces (not a common thing).  In the meantime, I think I will buy a Red Wine Black Lightning Battery PSU.  I believe that power is by far the most important aspect of a component and if I upgrade the crappy wall-wart PSU for the Realizer, an outboard DAC might not even be necessary... maybe.  (BTW, the PSU on the KGSS is wonderfully over-built and it was relatively unaffected by different power cords, conditioners and other power treatments--they made some difference, but one far too small to justify their often-steep price.)

The vase is the Egg Vase by Marcel Wanders for Moooi.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #9,274 of 41,436
I'm serious. That post really bothered me. :|

Calling a high end rig like Morbid's "decent?"

How is that supposed to make me feel about what I have?

Quote:
Wow man your almost in the same boat as me, <3 I will say this to any one who Hates on the Zune HD... let me tell you man it does ONE THING GOOD... and that's DARK and DIRTY 320k DUB STEP... other than that it's useless <3

here's my rig

Tier 1 and Tier 2, that is a JDS Labs cMoy BB with mah Dt 880s

So you're calling my portable source useless too, then? I don't listen to dubstep at all. Mostly progressive, and avant-garde

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #9,275 of 41,436
Quote:
I'm serious. That post really bothered me. :|

Calling a high end rig like Morbid's "decent?"

How is that supposed to make me feel about what I have?

So you're calling my portable source useless too, then? I don't listen to dubstep at all. Mostly progressive, and avant-garde

Again, he was teasing. MT has one of the nicest rigs around. What matters most is what enjoyment you get out of your system,
not other's opinions about it.

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #9,276 of 41,436
My girlfriend's a headfi-er in disguise.

Fiio E10 / HiFiMan EF2 / Samsung Galaxy S Voodoo (she did it herself) --> AD900 / FA011 / TS02

Her setup would put quite a number of our junior headfi-er to shame, really.

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #9,277 of 41,436
Quote:
My girlfriend's a headfi-er in disguise.

Fiio E10 / HiFiMan EF2 / Samsung Galaxy S Voodoo (she did it herself) --> AD900 / FA011 / TS02

Her setup would put quite a number of our junior headfi-er to shame, really.

Mine has Audio Technica ATH-M50s and AD700s. 

She really surprised me when she said on her own, without any prompting from me, that she wanted an Audioquest Dragonfly as a dac/amp. 

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #9,278 of 41,436
Quote:
(BTW, the PSU on the KGSS is wonderfully over-built and it was relatively unaffected by different power cords, conditioners and other power treatments--they made some difference, but one far too small to justify their often-steep price.)

My friend have KGSS, we tried some power cords and had quite a difference in sound... because the amp is not mine I only had a chance to compare a couple power cords: Black Dragon from moon-audio and Cardas Golden Reference, but there was quite a difference, I don't like KGSS with Black Dragon it souded harsh and music became batch of sounds, with Golden Reference the sound became a lot more soft, smooth and musical (although I still like upgraded GES more)... Still I think that Black Dragon is very good power cord, it's in the same league as Golden Reference, but it's just bad companion to KGSS... On my current system though I liked Black Dragon more than Golden Reference on both amp (WES) and DAC (Linn Akurate DS/0/D)...
So my point of all this writting that the power cable is important to KGSS, IMO KGSS need soft, smooth and misical power cord and DAC.
BTW DAC is veeery important with KGSS IMO, because I didn't like KGSS at all (compared to GES of course) on my rig sometime ago and many others that been there were agree with me... you don't know my DAC from that time, it's from russian company, but it quite a good DAC (I compared it to April Eximus DP1 and couldn't find a differences in sound) and have a very neutral sound signature. And when I listened KGSS on the rig of his owner whose have Accustic Arts DAC 1 MkII as a DAC, then I heared KGSS could sound much-much better then it were in my rig...

P.S. It's all just my IMHO, but maybe it will be interesting to someone 
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #9,280 of 41,436
Quote:

xD remember my friend what makes an Audiophile is his or her love for music, my opinion doesn't matter and you SHOULD ignore it unless your looking for a specified sound! The ZUNE HD is dark, and that can be good for a number of things, in addition I'm not sure how the other one sounds. Either way no worries bro

Also to you guys who have Gf's with Head-fi set ups and are NOT members... you are very lucky xD

Wow, the Audioquest Dragonfly... seems like something I need ME GUSTA q.q

Is it purely hard ware or is it also software? I have Spdif out on my Mobo, but it's a dual pin connector so I need to find a bracket... although a USB DAC like that would be might useful as well!

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #9,284 of 41,436
I have finally got a system I'm really satisfied with, figured I'd post some pics even though my camera (my phone) is pretty lackluster. (I need a SD card reader for my camera).

My desk/entertainment rack off to the right. I use my MacBook for my MP3/FLAC/CD music. I also have a NuForce uDAC2 to do most of the hardwork for my receiver.

Over here, I've got a Pioneer VSX-519 (entry level receiver, got the big dog in the living room, but a FANTASTIC receiver), a really nice old Kenwood KD-48F, my headphones up top, and a fairly average Pyle Preamp in the back.

Sennheiser 558, Grado SR60i, Sennheiser HD280Pro, Koss KSC-75 and some Bose OE TriPorts I use occasionally for portable use. They are good. Haters gonna hate.

My Uncle has this pretty average old turntable but with this amazing old legendary cartridge, the Audio-Technica 8008, going for a ridiculous price of $350 on eBay. It sounds incredible.

Out here in the living room, my Toshiba 42ZV650U, a Marantz NR1602 which sounds godly with a pair of headphones, a pair of Yamaha towers and a cheap Sony center channel. Some other nice stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back