Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Nov 21, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #39,316 of 41,463
IMG_8952.jpeg

Testing some new gear.
SW1X DAC IV Special Balanced
Mass Kobo 433
Focal Stellia

Had to move some stuff around so it fits but everything is connected. My K50 is on loan though so Red is doing source duties

Nov 22, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #39,317 of 41,463
Man alive, Jonathan. Don't you know there's starving Head-Fi-ers out here with only one amp. Save something for the rest of us:laughing:
There are plenty of amps out there to go around! 😜

Nov 22, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #39,319 of 41,463
Very nice.

What makes it extraordinary?
Tonal balance, clarity, force, musicality. Definitely a melding of the virtues of SS and VT. Tube rolling is accommodated by jumper settings on the circuit board. 🤷🏻‍♂️🙂

Nov 22, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #39,320 of 41,463
You guys complaining about streaming quality: get a better streaming service. I use Amazon Music HD, which sends me lossless FLACs, and sound great over my USB DAC.
@Chastity I think you missed a bit of my and @judomaniak57 point here.

I didn't say I'm not happy with streaming services, just like @judomaniak57 I find them as wonderful source for finding new music, at the same time, some services updates their offerings meaning that some albums or tracks are not available anymore (or never were available), are available in different format, mixing etc they used to be.

At the same time they require to turn on your mobile (that can ask you to restart due to an update) or computer (asking you to do a reboot due to an updated), use control app (that require restart since new version just came out) and then (assuming the network connection is working alright) you can finally start listening and you... start skipping tracks, selecting albums etc.

My experience with CDs and if I play from files I own (Bandcamp is a brilliant initiative IMO) is: I do focus on music and in case of disc player, I just need to turn it on and it works :) No updates requires and it sounds the same every time I turn it on unless it gets broken :wink:

Listening to a whole album without interruption can be very pleasant experience.

Nov 22, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #39,322 of 41,463
So does these mean another Gemini is in your future - one for each jumper setting (you'd think they could've made the jumpers a bit more accessible):wink:
Gemini implies twins!! One Gemini is fine! Actually, with only six screws to take out, with a little care in removing the body casing (so much easier than Schiit), jumper setting / tube rolling is a breeze. I like not using adapters to tube roll - likely to be 6922 / 7308 / E88CC, 12AT7 / ECC801 / ECC81, 12AU7 / ECC802, ECC82.

Nov 22, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #39,323 of 41,463
Tonal balance, clarity, force, musicality. Definitely a melding of the virtues of SS and VT. Tube rolling is accommodated by jumper settings on the circuit board. 🤷🏻‍♂️🙂

So you're saying that even though you have better solid state amps, better tube amps, there is still room for this little guy to bring something different and better in that in-between hybrid world?

Nov 22, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #39,324 of 41,463
Gemini implies twins!! One Gemini is fine! Actually, with only six screws to take out, with a little care in removing the body casing (so much easier than Schiit), jumper setting / tube rolling is a breeze. I like not using adapters to tube roll - likely to be 6922 / 7308 / E88CC, 12AT7 / ECC801 / ECC81, 12AU7 / ECC802, ECC82.
Agreed on jumpers vs. adapters. At least where applicable… you still need to account for 5670, 6SN7, etc. (although it might be a stretch fitting a 6SN7 adapter into the Gemini):laughing:

Nov 22, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #39,325 of 41,463
I grown up with cassette and later on with CD. Now mostly listening through Audirvana (local file), but even when I'm using Tidal, I stick to the "old" way to listen a music: Listen to the whole album before switch to other songs. I apply the same method when read a novel as well.

Nov 22, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #39,326 of 41,463
So you're saying that even though you have better solid state amps, better tube amps, there is still room for this little guy to bring something different and better in that in-between hybrid world?
Absolutely! It can (does) sound glorious with the choice of tube & gain, does not occupy much space, is well built. To my ears …. serious, serious (better?) competition to Liquid Platinum (tubed with 12AU7s + adapters) — without the high gain / 10 o’clock volume ‘limit’. [And, jumper #3 in Gemini can be set for 0dB / -15dB input attenuation …] EDIT: one tube only in use 👍👍. The tube hoard stash in effect is doubled for this h/p/a 🙂🙂.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #39,327 of 41,463
I grown up with cassette and later on with CD. Now mostly listening through Audirvana (local file), but even when I'm using Tidal, I stick to the "old" way to listen a music: Listen to the whole album before switch to other songs. I apply the same method when read a novel as well.
…. I do the same …. with the White Pages …. 🤪🤣.

Nov 22, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #39,329 of 41,463
+1 couldn't agree more :o2smile:

Nov 22, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #39,330 of 41,463
I personally love streaming as I get very bored listening to the same album/song over and over again, and if I love an album/song, hearing it too frequently takes away some of the magic.

I've spent a lot of time and effort optimizing my system for streaming and I think with the right streaming gear, with the optimal paid streaming service, sonically, the difference between streaming and physical media is pretty much negligible.

Life and listening time is too short, and there is so much amazing music to be discovered and streaming opens up 99% of the world to us that wouldn't otherwise be available if we were forced to buy the physical media (vinyl, cd's). I realize streaming isn't necessarily fair to the artists in terms of compensation, but that is their fight, and this is the world we live in. I do purchase tons of albums/songs on bandcamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back