Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Oct 29, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #29,731 of 41,129
Oct 29, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #29,732 of 41,129
I have had it for a number of years; no component issues…I sense greater dynamic range, lower noise floor…certainly no hum issues with WA6…WA2…LTA MZ3…Designed by Garth Powell who now does all of Audioquest’s power/conditioning engineering.
How come that you've had this system for a number of years? - Folks here appear to change ever so often - endgame doesn't seem to exist:floatsmile: - just joking, good point to be happy....

Oct 29, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #29,733 of 41,129
How come that you've had this system for a number of years? - Folks here appear to change ever so often - endgame doesn't seem to exist:floatsmile: - just joking, good point to be happy....
I have a few different headphone amplifiers / headphones that I use/rotate. But the CD / DAC arrangement will not change. I went TOTL for that part of the chain - “one and done”. My thought then and now is “get the best source possible”. I have never regretted that. 😄

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #29,734 of 41,129
I have a few different headphone amplifiers / headphones that I use/rotate. But the CD / DAC arrangement will not change. I went TOTL for that part of the chain - “one and done”. My thought then and now is “get the best source possible”. I have never regretted that. 😄
Good point. I have owned and appreciated the ifi iDSD pro for a while, and now has been tempted by a relatively good price (1kUSD) of a second hand ifi pro ICAN amp. Would it be worth it?

Oct 29, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #29,735 of 41,129
Good point. I have owned and appreciated the ifi iDSD pro for a while, and now has been tempted by a relatively good price (1kUSD) of a second hand ifi pro ICAN amp. Would it be worth it?
Go for it.
You won't regret, for sure. :)

Oct 29, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #29,736 of 41,129
@TooFrank I would say go for it if you accept the price and like ifi house sound. Pro iCan is a great add on for iDSD and at 1k I guess you could find very few amps that could compete unless you would like some THX implementation. However keep in mind that difference between SS/Tube/Tube+ modes are not night and day. 3d and Xbass can be great feature for some recordings/cans but I feel there is a kind of sound slowdown.

Oct 29, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #29,737 of 41,129
The Snell Type A are a cinch to drive. The best sound I ever heard out of those was back at the Bristol Show in the mid-80s. Source was a CD transport (can’t remember which one) into a prototype Audio Note NOS tube DAC and an early AN Kit One (300B SET) stuffed with “designer” components…
I heard a few Snells back in the mid-'80s when I made the rounds of audio salons in the northeast and midwest. I briefly thought of buying their big speaker if/when it came up F.S. used, which didn't happen in my timeframe, so went with Vandersteen 4As (amazing).

It was sad to see the Snell brand essentially vanish in high-end circles following the untimely death of Peter Snell. I know the company kept going in other ways, but it would be years before the name was seen at audio shows again.

Oct 30, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #29,740 of 41,129
It’s time to double-stack Snell A….😜….
LOL! Snell E-3's were my very first "hi end" speakers. Loved them. As with all of Voeck's designs, they got the PRaT thing right. They were replaced with Snell C-4's, then C-5's, then....nevermind (the list would be TL;DR). :laughing:

(not my pic...)
1635590661727.png

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #29,741 of 41,129
Oct 30, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #29,744 of 41,129
Not my place. :) I was at Addicted To Audio yesterday to audition Audeze LCD5 and CRBN. I wish it was not just 30 mins but that was all the time I was allocated and I have the whole room to myself with the door closed. :) LCD5 was on my head that's why you don't see it in the picture. Z10e electrostatic headphone / integrated amp driving the CRBN and Naim Uniti Atom driving the LCD5.

IMG_3336.jpg

Oct 30, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #29,745 of 41,129
The Pro iCAN is a work of art and can drive anything. And the wide array of options is very cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back